1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What led to the downfall of major denominations?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I thought that I was the only one on this site who thought this...

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you are not the only one. It always amazes me though how many excuses othetwise conservative people can give for their pet teachers.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All branches of Lutheranism are satanic? :tonofbricks:

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And where have you been for the last 100 plus years? The apostasy of Modernism and Liberalism began their take over of the mainline denominations in the late 1800s. By the mid-20th, outside the SBC, Modernism and Liberalism had become the established theological positions.

5. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...may I offer up the biggest reason for the downfall and wavering of most all churches is because of sin.

From what I gleaned from Wycliffe regarding the 32nd Division of Psalms, there are four (4) different types of sin. We are all guilty and it would appear we just don't recognize our attitudes and don't take the necessary steps to address it.

1. Sin refers to "missing the mark or aim."
    2. Transgression refers to "willful disobedience or rebellion."
    3. Iniquity refers to "twistedness or perversion."
    4. Guile refers to "self-deception."

Course, keep in mind I'm not a biblical scholar....

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am talking, and will continue to do so. So there......
    YOU have questionable views

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are mainline Baptists our brethren?:

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I seem to remember discussing this in a thread a while ago. I came to that opinion.

9. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think we on the conservative side of the fence sometimes realize just how organizationally we are akin to the liberals.

That is to say, we figure we know the truth and stand for it. And then we decide we have to build a denomination around the truth and protect it. And then we figure we have to protect the denomination at all costs or the truth will be lost.

And so it begins--we say we only change the method but not the message, but really? We've already changed from proclaiming Christ to proclaiming our group when we reach that point.

My church is SBC, and is a prime example. I'm a conservative but not a fundamentalist, just so you know. I tee-totally agree we had to purge liberalism. In the early seventies I flat out refused to used convention press material to teach my teen class, as I could see how unbiblical it was. So yeah, we needed a good housecleaning.

But in doing so, we got absolutely terrified the liberals would take over. We ceased trusting the Holy Spirit to do His job, and decided to build some hedges and help Him out. We moved away from the idea of independent churches forming a convention, and towards denominationalism. Now it is not uncommon to hear our leaders speak of us as a denomination. We threw over our true Baptist distinctives out of fear the liberals would use them as an excuse to teach liberalism. We went from noncreedal to using the BFM very much as a creed.

Most I know don't remember what the SBC conservatives used to teach. They figure only liberals taught anything before 1979, I guess. And so they support everything we've done to become denominational.

But that sets the stage for a quick and I believe coming fall into far worse liberalism. You see, as the culture around us becomes ever more sin soaked and liberal, the day will come and indeed is here when some will start to worry that holding a hard line on gay marriage, or abortion, or recreational drugs, etc will cause people not to want to join an SBC church. And since our focus became on preserving a denomination, we will be ripe to fall right into it.

Sad, how good intentions that lead astray, well, lead astray.

10. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I figured you would say that. The article cites sources.

You do realize that it is possible to be uncertain about such things. Besides, otherwise orthodox Christians have held several different views from the beginning of Christianity, and they have based those views on scripture.

11. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Yes, I know. And for some, anyone to the left of Bob Jones is a liberal.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YOU need some quality time with a Rabbit so there......

#33 evangelist6589, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not noticed because I have not been in those denominations and besides I lived in the Bible Belt for many years and all you have is IFB Baptists out there. Very very few progressive churches, but lots of KJVO anti alcohol and anti Calvinism churches in South Carolina.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you agree with his views on Homosexuality?

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this your typical response when called to defend your views by those who receive your letters? On this site, it certainly does not seem to take much to get you to fire off a Rabbit while covering your retreat.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got another letter from an apostate whom is open to a phone conversation, but insists I not tell her she is in sin and is headed to Hell. However if I was a doctor and a patient had a brain tumor I would tell him to get treatment or he will die. Warning people about sin and Hell is our duty, its just Satan that does not desire christians to do this. I think I will agree to the phone conversation and let the apostate speak, and then swing the conversation to the Good person test which does lead to the topic of Hell.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What are his views?

19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Hey!! Cut that out!! This is baptistboard, donchya know? People will see this, step outside and do a double take at the sign over the door to make sure they're in the right place...

#40 convicted1, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015