1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Love Is This?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by neal4christ, Dec 28, 2002.

1. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I am currently reading What Love Is This? Calvinism's Misrepresentation of God by Dave Hunt. Just wondering if anyone else has read it and what do you think? I am reading it to get all the sides of the Calvinism argument. I am currently undecided on the issue, but before you start recommending other books for me I want to let you know that I have books to read by Sproul, Piper, White, and Geisler too. I just want your input on Hunt's book i.e. the quality, arguments, scholarship, etc.

Thanks! [​IMG]
    Neal

2. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

In a word, What Love Is This? is about the poorest possible book on the topic of Calvinism. Hunt's "arguments" are of such poor quality that many friends of his, Calvinist and Arminian alike, warned him not to publish it.

I would not even recommend this book to someone wanting to read arguments against Calvinism. The people of the Antithesis online newsletter (which I wholeheartedly recommend) have put together a page answering some of Hunt's work: What Love Indeed: Responding to Dave Hunt's Misrepresentation of Calvinism

For a more productive polemic on the topic, read Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free, which is still a hack job, but it is at least readable. Then follow it up immediately with James White's The Potter's Freedom, which is a direct response. (The second edition of Chosen But Free has a further response to White.) You said you had books by Geisler and White to read; I assume those are the ones.

[ January 06, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

4. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

You would assume correctly! [​IMG] I am finding it little difficult getting through his book because the scholarship seems to be lacking.

Neal

5. Jacob

Jacob Member

Neal4Christ:
    I too am wrestling through this issue. I've read What Love is This and Chosen but Free and have just started Potter's Freedom.

I found WLIT to be mostly filled with philosophical type arguments against Calvinism - many were pretty convincing. I have much exposure to Calvinists and found Hunt to generally represent their views fairly. I was somewhat disapointed that the book didn't tackle the Calvinst prooftexts better and more thoroughly - GBF does a better job at that.

Jacob

[ December 28, 2002, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Jacob ]

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I recently listened to a radio debate between James White an dave Hunt and was dissappointed to hear that Hunt has never read any of the writings of the church fathers or the reformers. As far as Ia m concerned that alone disqualifies him from even speaking on the subject. Here is the link if interested. Just scroll down to : "James White discusses CAlvinism with Dave Hunt."

http://aomin.org/ReformedIndex.html

[ December 29, 2002, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Ps104_33 ]