1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What main Factor made you to choose to be a Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

When the Lord saved me in college...
    Went into Assemblies of God for first decade or so...

Sincere believers, and thankfully more "old school" pentacostals, so not much in WoF and health wealth heresies!

I NEVER bought into second act of Grace, tongues as ONLY evidence etc...

Thankfully, now in baptist church!

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

DaChaser--what do I commonly see in this region?

1. Creedalism--whether it is independent Baptist churches stating all who join their congregation must sign on to YEC, or SBC saying all members must agree to the BFM--usually 2000, a few still to 1963.

2. Elder rule rather than congregational governance. (Not to be confused with elder led. I don't hold to either one but there is a difference.)

3. Loss of church autonomy. Some have taken loans from state conventions (my region is 4 states with 5 conventions that I know of in the SBC) with the caveat that if they cease to be SBC the building forfeits to the convention. Bad move in my opinion. What if the SBC changes in a way that your church does not believe? You are STUCK.

4. Loss of teaching soul competency. There was a time, at least in the SBC churches I was part of, where a calvinist and a dispensationalist would go witnessing together. Not today--gotta fight to death on hills we used to see as not worth dying on. We've forgotten the main thing and are chasing rabbits for the most part.

Now, all that said, I do know of Baptist churches that individually still hold to those things. But they are scarce around here, and you don't see the stress on those things that there used to be any more. Time was those things were what made a Baptist a Baptist in my neck of the woods.

3. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only flaw in that is that Westboro is a baptist church...

and I don't believe much like those in that baptist church. :)

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Nor do I and I don't know of another Baptist church which does.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Having moved a lot, it has been a combination of the leading of the Holy Spirit combined with studying doctrine and going with the church that most closely agreed with the Holy Bible.

Somehow, that church always ends up being Baptist, even when I specifically tried to find a non-Baptist one some years ago.

Can't argue with the Holy Spirit. Well, I could, but I'm positive I'd not win, plus it's never a good idea to spat with anyone who has saved your life and who also has the ability to turn you into a pillar of salt or have a whale swallow you. Common sense and all...

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why I chose to be a baptist?

The Holy Spirit lead me to.

Funny thing is: I swore I'd never be a baptist, nor a deacon, nor a preacher.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Reminds me of one of my favorite axioms:
    Wanna make God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

First, what started me in a Baptist church is the fact that the only person concerned enough about my soul to invite me was a Baptist. Second, the love shown and the acceptance brought me back; those and their correct doctrine (once I learned enough of God's word to know the difference) kept me there.

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Now there's a challenge to us in our witnessing and church life!

10. Scribe

Scribe New Member

I went to a Baptist church growing up with my aunt and uncle, so I was raised a Baptist. After I turned 18, I fell away for a very long time, and when I returned to the Lord I began attending an Assemblies of God fellowship near my house. I attended there for two years and it is a wonderful church with some of the Godliest people I have ever met, but I just never embraced all of their doctrine (speaking in tongues, conditional security, etc.). My wife was never comfortable there either, so she rarely attended with me. When I finally left that church, I was determined to find a place where we could both feel comfortable attending; God has led us to a non-denominational church that teaches Baptist doctrine.

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

It's erie how closely your testimony mirrors mine.

Background: When better half and I married we belonged to different Christian demoninations. Thus, we needed to make a choice. For myself there wasn't much to hold me to my church, for a number of reasons. One quick example -- There's something wrong when church leaders fight over "red" carpet for the center isle in front of the entire congregation.

End result was that we shuffled back and forth for a while, before drifting away from both of them. Then, sporatically attended other churches before stopping going altogther.

or what? from the OP. I believe that God got tired of us being "lukewarm". He sent a messenger, twice in fact, inviting us to a local Baptist church. Of that I have no doubt.

And, the rest of the story: