1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What makes 1535 Coverdale's a "great Bible?"

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, Feb 12, 2009.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sadly, I suggest that the 'illogical' logic (plus redefinitions proffered, and misrepresentations of other's positions implied) of Mr. Matthew Verschuur, in just this little snippet, would find a warm welcome from some I've recently seen posting on this board.

And they all seem to claim to believe the Bible.

I don't know about theirs, obviously (maybe someone got there with scissors, I guess), but my Bible has something to say about bearing false witness, that I saw at least 7 times. :tear:

Ed

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

For sake of discussion, let's presume that the "copies" ARE inspired --

How does that help us when the manuscript copies ALL do indeed display differences, additions, and subtractions as compared to one another? What do we do with all of these inspired documents, since there seems to be no need to collate them?

Are the obvious scribal errors "inspired", too?

Consequently, isn't one inspired copy just as good as another to translate from? Or are some copies more inspired than others?

Just trying to understand your position.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The exact quote of another poster (complete with the incorrect spacing), to a question on another thread, that incidentally was asked by you, seems quite an appropriate response as to the position, here.
    Ed

#23 EdSutton, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  4. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

H. D. Williams, M.D., Ph.D. in his article THE MIRACLE OF BIBLICAL INSPIRATION (which can be found on the Dean Burgon Society website) states his loyalty to the KJV in this way --
    ... Similarly, the author of this work who defends the King James Bible (KJB), believes that the KJB is without translational errors. It does not contain any errors or contradictions as a result of translating. ...

... This author believes that the Words that underlie the King James Bible English translation are the original perfect Words “given by inspiration of God” to “holy men of God” to record. God has providentially superintended the accurate, faithful, verbal, plenary, formal, equivalent translation of the Preserved original-languages into the receptor-languages of the world so that some translations can be said to be without translational errors. ... (his bold, my underline)
    I wanted to show that Dr. Williams is no 'KJV-hater'; but here is how he defines the term "inspiration" --
    9) Inspiration = means “God-breathed” from the Greek word theopneustos (2 Tim. 3:16). It is a very technical Biblical term indicating a miraculous process and product. The Words of God originally given in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek to special men selected by God to record were “God-breathed.” In this work, this is the process of inspiration. The product of inspiration in this work is the recorded inspired Words in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek in the sixty-sixty books of the canon of Scripture for man that are infallible and inerrant. “Inspiration” is a miracle. This means that God is the author of the original Words in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, which is the Bible. The men who recorded them are not coauthors, although God used their vocabulary. ...

... In summary, Inspiration is (1) the miracle whereby the Words of Scripture in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek were (2) God-breathed and once delivered using “holy men of God” and their vocabulary, (3) who recorded them once perfectly as they were “moved along” by the Holy Spirit (4) in such a way that all the Words written are infallible and inerrant in the sixty-six books of the canon of Scripture.” A succinct way of stating the same thing is: “The perfect author of the perfect Bible is God.” (his bold & underlines)
    Later, in the same article, he essentially repeats --
    (1) In this work, “inspiration” means “God-breathed” from the Greek word theopneustos (2 Tim. 3:16). It was a miraculous process that resulted in a miraculous product that has not been duplicated since the Scriptures were completed with the recording of the Words of the book of Revelation. The Words originally given in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek to selected, special “holy men of God” to record were “God-breathed.” They are perfect as defined in this work (q.v.). (my underline)
    I believe that Dr.Williams has successfully more fully articulated the phrase "being immediately inspired" as found in the WCF I.8; that is, the inspiration of God is only of the original language autographs and cannot properly extended to manuscript copies or translations directly.