1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what makes a person believe?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by massdak, Aug 1, 2004.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Well said, Paul. Here's a friendly bit of advice. Arguing with someone who so lightly mangles the plain meaning of scripture to their own ends is a fruitless and frustrating effort. Each to his own, but you're going to get tired of beating your head against the wall. ;)

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I am Amill. But, I am not either Calvinist or Reformer.

Notice verse John 12:31 says, Satan is now cast out, and he is judged. My understand of this verse speaks of Satan is now bound and holding back from deceived the world - 2 Thess 2:6-7; Rev. 12:9; Rev. 17:8; & Rev. 20:3, & 7. So, John 12:32 tells us, after the result of Calvary and resurrection. The salvation is come upon to all people of the world, that mean the gospel is good news for everyone either Jew or Gentile of the World.

God love the world so much, that He gaves His Son to died on the cross for the world, His desires want to see all people come to repent of their sins and believe on Christ - 2 Peter 3:9. He does not willing all people go to hell, but come to repent. God's draw all people to him, it speaks of made manifest the cross of the gospel to the world. The gospel salvation does not limited to the people, gospel is for EVERONE. But, most people refuse accept God's love offering or gift through Jesus Christ. They are on the way to hell more than people going to heaven. Most people are on the way to hell, not because of God's decision, because of their decision and remain in sins.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

This is DEFINITELY my last shot at this, friend - (Well, maybe definitely!)

The bottom line remains, Skan, that your interpretation, irrespective of all the other problems, is a linguistic impossibility. The words and syntax found here simply cannot be made to say what you want them to say. It is equivalent to insisting that "Jack and Jill went up the hill" actually means "Burt and Ernie went duck hunting."

Let's look at this concoction:
    "And when all the (nations) heard this -"Are you saying that all the Gentile nations to whom the Gospel would now be preached were represented there in Pisidian Antioch that day? - Maoris, Eskimos, etc, all glorifying the word of the Lord? Of course not, yet your scheme makes no sense unless they were.
    But then you try to say that "As many nations as were ordained to eternal life (and again you have to say this means every nation on earth) believed" Were there Hawaiians and Mexicans who were saved that day? I doubt it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Now you are just being ridiculous. As I have stated all along their belief is what was PROOF to their being appointed. Not them as individuals but them as nations. All the people groups that the apostles were coming in contact with in their travels that were appointed to eternal life were believing thus proving that God did in fact choose them. That is all this HISTORICAL (NOT DOCTRINAL) text is stating. Its not that difficult to see Paul if your not desprately trying to hold on to your own position.

The funny thing about this is that I meet and talk with Calvinists about this stuff all the time in my work and 99% of them see and agree that this is a viable option. They may not hold to it but at least they are objective enough to see other possiblities. You seem to think its some sign of weakness to even admit other possiblities in the text. I admit when I think a verse could mean what you think it means from the other perspective because I can be objective. That takes maturity and wisdom which we can see waved bye bye to Nick along time ago, don't allow him to influence you to go down that other road. Its not attractive at all.

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Then why are you on this board Nick? You make it seem as if all the other Arminians on this board have "seen the light" of your glorious truth, where as I, the deceptive one, continues to deceive the masses. You just don't like me because I actually challenge you, I know it and deep down I know you do to. [​IMG]