1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What makes a writer gifted?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 16, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What makes a writer gifted? We all have favorite books. Many books I buy I do not finish but there are some that I read cover to cover. So in your opinion what makes a writer gifted?

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you are talking about spiritual gifts, they are manifested by edification to others. So if you are talking about "gifted" in a divine sense, then the evidence is that they glorify God and edify believers.

If you are simply speaking in a carnal sense, for example, as "gifted" athletes or "gifted" speakers then that is determined by comparison to others and majority opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    in the eye of the beholder.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually, a good editor and editorial process makes a writer gifted.

Good writing creates vivid and created compelling images and understanding in the minds of the readers.

The best writing is done in community, where there are at least two people who are working on a text - one as the primary creator of the narrative, and one who is objectively reviewing what has been produced, eliminating and rewording clumsy passages and focusing the narrative to its essentials. The best writing is generally lean, with rarely an extra sentence or word that does not contribute to the whole of the book.

For instance, if you look at one of the classic American novels like "To Kill A Mockingbird," you will notice that there is not a single scene or sentence that does not support the characterizations, message or plot of the book. Yet it didn't start out that way at all. A couple of years ago, the publisher released the original version of the novel, "Go Set A Watchman," that Harper Lee had intended to write. Her editor pointed out that the most interesting part of that book was the flashbacks to childhood of her main character, and suggesting that she rewrite the novel based on those childhood memories. That's made for a completely different - and far superior novel - than the original, even though many of the settings and a number of the character names were the same. The existence of "To Kill A Mockingbird" was provoked by an editor who discovered a better story within the pages of a manuscript and was willing to push an author to develop it.

One of the worst things that can happen to a writer is that they get so successful that they eventually do not submit to the guidance of an editor. For instance, Tom Clancy's early novels were quite strong and were "page-turners." I lost a lot of sleep reading the first four or five Clancy novels because I just couldn't put them down and go to bed. His later novels became bloated (they were literally huge) and were generally more difficult to read, not because of the language or subject, but because there was a lot of excess and unnecessary material in them. I slept well when I read those novels and it took me weeks to work my way through them. They were not terribly enjoyable, and if that had been my first exposure to the Jack Ryan character, I would not have continued reading them. It got to the point where I completely stopped ready Clancy novels.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I believe it was Stephen King who said that there are no good writers, only good editors. His philosophy was to write as much as possible, and then take out what he didn't like.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (note: Bold is the Salty Revised Version )

Would this also be true?

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you like horror movies Sapper? The man writes some very ungodly stuff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Wow. What a leap. I used a quote by one of the most prolific writers in response to your question about writers. Any assumptions from there are pretty made up from you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know "Christians" who watched "The Lord of the Rings" and Star Wars. One even professed Christ while affirming a liking to "Cool Hand Luke" (one of the more notorious prison movies).

And now you are saying what makes a writer gifted is horror? :Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
  10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a few talented people who can successfully edit their own work. Lincoln was one; the Gettysburg Address and his two inaugural speeches are at the top of American oration and were created by his own editing.

That's rare. I edit for a living and know that most writers cannot see the flaws in their own work; they're emotionally attached to every word, every phrase — or they just don't realize they're on the wrong track. A good editor prunes away the underbrush and lets the original creativity of the writer shine through. You know you've done a good job when the writer reads it and doesn't even miss the parts you took out.

(That said, I cannot imagine how anyone could thoroughly edit someone like Faulkner or James Joyce without doing damage to their work or going slightly insane. I've run across some folks like that and all you can do is trim around the edges and hope it helps.)

The tendency of writers, in my experience, is to overwrite in the false belief that it's better to use 20 words when 10 will do. Not usually. You can only get by with that if you have a happy capacity for a turn of phrase and a playfulness that will keep the reader engaged.

Some editors, however, hurt more than they help. The motto of an editor should be, like doctor, "First, do no harm." If they follow that injunction, they can be free to help shape the writing into something that is truly from the writer, but better than he or she could have produced alone.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we talking fiction or explanatory/commentary?

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non fiction.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expert in the subject matter, accuracy, and ability to relate the material to an audience.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some authors such as Norman Geisler are experts but some of their books boring....

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes I read to be entertained, but sometimes I read to learn. Sometimes what is being learned is enjoyment enough.

I go through times when I just want to read fiction (as entertainment) and times when I just want to read non-fiction. Usually I read a little of both. (Right now I'm reading "The Way of Kings", which is fantasy (which is a genre I haven't read for over 3 decades....but I'm enjoying it). I'm also re-reading God in the Wasteland.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about relevance?

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those who make plethoric use of the thesaurus, congeneric to Dean Koontz.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and sometimes Officer candidates read comic books in order to prepare themselves to complete OCS! :Rolleyes :Whistling :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Within the amalgamated milieu of authors, perhaps it’s a congenital idiosyncrasy eclectic across literary genres.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indubitably.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

• Like Like x 1