1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What makes our beliefs so different?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by samarelda, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray,

I don’t agree that we need to be willing to discard our beliefs (2Ti 3:14) on the basis of being unable to establish “to others” from clear passages in scripture if this means being governed by the ability to convince them philosophically or soundly through their methods, granted (Col 4:6) but not to disregard (Eph 4:14-19). In my observations a lot of doctrine is presented around here as scriptural by what one can’t outright disprove because it isn’t specifically or clearly said, plain and simply enough, to irrevocably prove a point but that doesn’t necessarily mean the other persons position is correct, only that a philosophical method has been discovered and laid out in a strong fashion with good argument, which the Bible clearly warns about.

I am more than willing to examine some of these “BEST” arguments and learn things while doing so but often after much hard work find the position I so adamantly disagree with has its roots grounded in a strawman of man’s philosophy and have to abide by what the Spirit tells me not by what I cannot layout as irrevocable against these philosophical methods.

For an example, I often feel the term “rightly divided” is grossly misinterpreted as to chop into pieces for separation instead of making a clean straight single cut into the Word as a whole to examine it and much of todays theology is based on separating out on a false premise as the root to begin with.

I see the purpose of debating theology to strengthen ones position while searching for the truth but spend an awful lot of time spitting seeds from watermelon grown in a garden with manmade super chemical fertilizers instead of good old organic mulch. In your case, I have to have a pretty serious bone to pick before I will seriously engage as I know I will be challenged and have to decipher back through tons of scholarly arguments lodged in your mind to see what fed the roots. BTW, good to see you back.

2. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

All comes down to interpetation and a balanced view of scripture. go to far to the right (legalism) then everything is a must do or else philosophy. to far to the left (liberalism) sin is condoned leading to compromise and not taking God's word seriously.

Balance means we see the old testament for what it was for and the new testament that we are in today. OT LAW NT GRACE

God's word is clear that anything in excess is sin. drinking, eating etc. when the bible say something is sin like fornication, homosexuality, stealing, lying, then we know it is a sin. but if the bible is talking about doing something is excess like eating or drinking then moderation isn't a sin. the bible is also clear that we are no longer under the law but under grace so where the bible is silent on an issue so shall we be. thithing was an old testament command requiring about 26% not 10% as some would think. we are now to be cheerful givers, key word givers not tithers.

3. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Too many do not have a proper understanding of how to accurately study scripture. here is a link that shows proper interpetaion of the scriptures. sad to say peoples personal opinions often times override what scripture teaches

http://www.forananswer.org/Top_General/Hermeneutics.htm

4. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Benj,

Thanks. Good to be back. Still busy, not able to spend as much time on all this as I would like...

Never discard beliefs on the basis of not being able to convince others you are right! Only discard them on the basis of sound principles of hermeneutics and the conviction of the Holy Spirit that you were wrong. It is never JUST an intellectual exercise. Nor is it just a touchy feely seek the Spirit exercise. All “Spirits” must be tested by the Word of God.

I have often spent a great deal of time looking at the best the other side has to offer and reach the same conclusion. It serves to confirm what I have believed on the basis of looking at the Scripture again.

Straw men? Absolutely. Sadly many people do not follow good principles of Bible interpretation. May post some on this thread. Just noted that Frenchy already did. May post mine anyway...

Seeds. Yep. Anytime you read anything but THE BOOK you gotta be ready to spit out seeds. If you wind up with too many seeds, throw the melon away and get a good one!

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

6. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Got that right rjprince [​IMG]

7. mioque

mioque New Member

When people ask me esoterical stuff like that I adopt a vacant expression and point at the bit of drool dribbeling out of my mouth.
    Cuts down tremendously on the number times I get asked such questions. ;)

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone mentioned the first step in understanding the Bible?

Spiritual discernment?

Nicodemus had been to Bible College a lot--he was a master. Jesus told him he needed to be born again to enter the kingdom. See John 3:1-21. Nicodemus had not a clue. See also: the Rich Young Ruler.

Selah,

Bro. James

9. rjprince

rjprince Active Member