1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What makes you a Baptist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, May 5, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What action actually makes you a Baptist?
    Is it simply membership in a Baptist church?
    Is it truly believing Baptist distinstivictes?
    Is it a combanation?

Some time ago, I was discussing with a pastor about joining his church. The subject came up that one of the members believed in speaking in tounges, even though the church took a stand against it.
    For the sake of arugment, lets say Mr. "Jones" joined "Near" Baptist Church, because it was right across from his house .
    Would you call Mr. Jones a Baptist, a person who joined a Baptist church, or what?

the inspiration of this thread was from a profile I saw that said
    Denomination (Baptist, Methodist, Catholic...):
    Attend baptist
    Home Church:
    First Baptist

So would you consider this BB member a Baptist?

#1 Salty, May 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2007
  2. donnA

donnA Active Member

1. combination of the two
    2. they say they attend a baptist church, not that they are baptist
    makes a difference
    3. no

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I was attracted to the Baptists because of their belief in the authority and inerrancy of the scriptures. Baptists don't look to any source outside of the Bible for final authority.
    Our pastor says Baptists are "people of the Book".

I also thought Baptists were pretty much in agreement on doctrine until I joined the BB. Just shows ya what I know! :laugh:

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In many ways, Baptist distinctives are related to our stance on baptism.

Believers' only may be baptized.

By Immersion only.

To picture the gospel: the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus the Christ.

To symbolize death to sin, buried like Christ, raised to walk in newness of life.

Baptized by the proper administrator--one scripturally baptized himself, acting under the authority of a local Baptist church or a church of like faith and order. (This is a sticking point among modern Baptists).

Non-sacramental.

The deity Christ, salvation by grace through faith, eternal security, are not unique to Baptists. nor is soul competency, priesthood of the believer, auithority of the Scriptures and autonomy of the local church. But take all these together, add the views on Baptism, and you have historically has been called a Baptist.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm Baptist because the church I attend is a Baptist church. I'm a Christ follower first.
    If I moved my membership to a Bible teaching non denominational church, I wouldn't be a Baptist (and couldn't post in this section of the BB). Still a Christ follower first, though.

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Tom lays it out pretty good. I attend SBC, but if there was a non-denom right across the street with the same distinctives, I'd go there. The problem with some of the non-denoms I've attended is that the members in some believe just about anything they want to, just come together to worship, operate a soup kitchen, close closet, etc. Getting into scripture is just not part of their experience.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I hope that all of us Baptists are Christ-followers first.

I think I agree that to some degree, people who attend a Baptist church can be called Baptist. But I think it's more than that. Baptists are also identified in other ways, particularly those Baptist Distinctives I mentioned in Post # 4.

If you hold to historically Baptist doctrine, and you move to that non-denom church, you wouldn't be identified as Baptist any more, but you could certainly describe your doctrines as Baptistic. If somebody asked you about your beliefs, it would be fairly easy to say, "my church is non-denominational, but our doctrines are similar to Baptists."

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

This is probably going to open a whole new can of worms, but I believe that what a church believes and practices determines if it is 'Baptist' or not, not the name on the sign.

Thus some churches may call themselves 'non-denominational' yet if they follow Baptist practice and doctrine, they are in fact, 'Baptist'. And there are some churches that call themselves 'Baptist' that should do the right thing and take the name off the sign.

9. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!

Tim Reynolds

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You are all wrong. What makes you a Baptist?
    Why the love of fried chicken, of course!:laugh: :laugh: