1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what meat shouldn't I take?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by UnchartedSpirit, Dec 6, 2005.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

ever inquisitive foxy kitten here with a question about what Paul said in I think the coritinians...about the eating of food offered to idols. Well, in relating to the idols today what food shouldn't we eat to help unbelievers and newborns? I'd like the whole-series range list-from motorcycle clubs, to graffiti art, to :eek: :confused: , those weird things couples may fancy enjoying...what pleasures should we give up for the sake of healing babe?

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I'm not sure where you are going with this thread, but as far as meat to the idols, Paul was talking about real meat offered to real idols. You have to keep the context of the Scriptures at the forefront of your mind.

As far as meat, Paul said:

Romans 14:14, "I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean."

So there is no meat that is unclean, therefore unlawful for a Christian to eat. Remember, Paul was laying the foundations for Christianity in this letter.

Paul also said in 1 Corinthians 6:13, "Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body." Again, he was providing instruction.

I'm not sure how you made the jump from meat offered to idols to being a member of a motorcycle club. Scriptures clearly teach that we are to worship only the Lord. We can make anything an idol, including our family, job, TV, church, etc.

Can you provide some additional information on what you are looking ofr?

3. UnchartedSpirit

what aspects of modern culture should Christians avoid, because it would be impossible to make Christ the focus of it?

4. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Oh wow. That's gonna take some thought. Good question!

For a start anything that would involve addictions (ex. gambling) or anything involving disrespect of others

5. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Okay, I got it.

Here is a broad brush stroke: avoid anything that takes your focus from the Lord. Of course, I must stress a balance is required.

Specifics? Anything God calls sin. I.e., drunkeness, murder, fornication, adultery, and lust just to name a few.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

oh, and the passage on meat being offered to idols is referring to things which we CAN partake in without violating Scripture.

So I don't think that we can include those things which are obviously sin. It was not a sin for those early Christians to eat meat that had been offered to idols. They were basically told to not ask....BUT if it was told to them that this meat had been offered to an idol, THEN they were to refrain for the sake of the consciences of those people watching them. They were to uphold a higher standard for the sake of other people.

7. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

well stated bapmom

My rule about things of modern life that I should or shouldn't be partaking in is to think about what God will think when he sees me doing them. That gets me everytime. It's kind of like those bracelets youth had a few years ago that were WWJD (What Would Jesus Do). It works.

8. UnchartedSpirit

I still wear a WWJD keychain, but this personal biggie is eating me. The trade school I'm in is certanly credible in getting me to the professional level of Animation in a short amount of time, but the ratio of believiers/nonbelievers around me is like 18:1. The schools library displays Heavy Metal magazenes because it's a good source to study art from, and people here are into some horrific material because it is very superior quality to most 'conservitave' works. Should I even try to cope in this enviornment? This is the only art college I could afford!

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I feel you shouldn't worry about the college you're going to unless they require something from you that would make your unChirst like.

Being around non-believers is something that you will have to deal with each and every day. As long as your faith is strong enough, and being around them don't bring you to do things that you wouldn't otherwise do, I wouldn't see a problem with it.

An example from my life.. I don't go out to the bars every week, however I do go out from time to time to meet friends and dance. I have a friend that is a total non-believer, and I only see him generaly when he is out at the bar.

We have had many discussion, and he is starting to ask the "right" questions. I believe over time, with God's help his eyes will be opened.

My point is, if I looked at going out to the bar once in a while as a "bad" thing, and didn't I am not sure we would have had the talks.

Now, if I started going out every week, every day, or it became an interfere with me and God, then it becomes a bad thing.

But under this example, ANYTHING can become a bad thing. Like someone else mentioned before, Work, Family, Life... It doesn't have to "BE" bad for it to become bad.

Jamie

10. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Maybe God put you at a school for that reason!!!!!!

Never turn your back on a non-believer. They need us most.

11. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

It's never right to do wrong to do right. When in doubt....don't.
    Phi 4:8,9 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
    Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

12. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Just pray about it and let the Lord lead you. He'll tell you where to go as long as your open to listening.

13. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can turn the bad into good so I will expect to see some of this superior quality art coming the Christian way from a new source, think of the possibilities!

14. UnchartedSpirit

I try, but it's rough, hopefully I can help start a reform so I could recommend this school to other Godly artists....

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It means just that. Don't eat food offerred to idols. Food that you buy in the secular market typically doesn't qualify as being offerred to idols.

If you travel to other parts of the world (yes, believe it or not, there are other cultures besides American culture), such as India, you might happen upon food that is given as a offering to gods, and then served to guests. In this situation, a person should refrain from consuming food that one knows has been offerred to an idol.

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our Pastor showed us the painting today from a famous Godly artist Holman Hunt "The Light of the World" told us a story of how someone said to him there was no latch on the door, he said, "the latch was on the inside" Looked the picture up and came across a few different interpretations, anyway it's thought provoking art, thought I'd share it with you.

http://www.rejesus.co.uk/expressions/faces_jesus/gallery/hunt.html

http://www.etss.edu/hts/hts3/info17.htm

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One should already know what things bother the consciences of those with whom he worships. Love isn't concerned with self at all, so as long as one follows after charity he should be in good shape.

18. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I can't believe you people are missing what Paul said. He said it is OK TO EAT FOOD OFFERED TO IDOLS. He also said, that if it OFFENDS A BROTHER who has a WEAK CONSCIENCE in this area, then refrain while that brother is around.

Please don't transform this law of consideration of a brother's feelings into a law against eating food offered to idols!

FOR WE KNOW THAT IDOLS ARE NOTHING . . .