1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What might justify lying?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alcott, Aug 31, 2018.

?
  1. To avoid or stall danger to oneself

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. To avoid or stall danger to others

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. To keep from hurting someone's feelings

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. To keep someone who 'can't handle the truth' from knowing it

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. For the purpose of justice; e.g., in a criminal investigation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. To steer someone who 'deserves it' into trouble

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. God never allows lying, regardless of the circumstances

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. To tell a dying person his/her request will be met, with no such real intent

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. To avoid revealing information told in confidence

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  10. For nabtional security; e.g., an agent posing as a relocated worker

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know this is one of those reverberating topics on these boards, but there was recently another thread which touched upon it, and I thought we may not have been direct enough. The answer options are overlapping, but chances are that opinions may be, too.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When describing the "movement" of the stars, which everyone knows isn't the movement we observe. We're observing the movement of the earth.

So we can say the sun rises, even though it's false. Jesus said it, too. He said His Father "maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good."

3. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would be easier to do it the other way around.

Lying is wrong when you use it to

a) Steal from someone. (Failing to disclose when selling something. Saying something is yours when it isn’t. etc.j

b) Make up information to falsely accuse someone else of a crime.

c) Commit adultery. (Telling your spouse you are doing something other than cheating on him/her.)

d) Murder someone.

e) Hurt someone.

I chose to keep from hurting someone’s feelings and national security.

The first two - avoiding and stalling danger to oneself or others is heavily dependent on the situation. I always think of the three wise men in this case.

Some think lying by ommision is ok. For the most part, I think it isn’t if the other person would expect the information to be given.

I believe that lying to a dying person is one of the worst things you can do.

I don’t like being told things in confidence. But if it occurs like on my job on a regular basis, I simply won’t talk about it. I won’t lie.

Marty

#3 MartyF, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would debate that issue. Jesus did not lie but simply gave an account of what appears to be relative to our XY coordinates..

Similarly, everything we "see" is not what is - but are light waves (or photons) being received and translated into impulses by the optic nerve which then can be received, which impulses act upon the neurons of the brain and then interpreted by the soul as to what is going on outside the body.

Psalm 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

That which is forbidden is
    Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Slander or libel.

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This got me thinking about whether there is a difference between lying about a fact versus lying about an opinion.

"Why yes, your meatloaf is delicious."

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with the last option in the poll as being considered lying. When it comes to matters of military intelligence, military operations, or national security, deception is not the same category as lying.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would see the examples as Rehab, htose who had Jews hidden in Nazi germany, and Moses parents!

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it does not break the 9th commandment.

No one is slandered or libeled.

#8 HankD, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, and it also preserved life, which seems to be the higher law of God...

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, breaking of the 9th commandment, slandering someone, seems to have the death penalty or being made an outcast.
    It is a VERY serious sin in God's sight.

Proverbs 19:5 A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape.

Proverbs 19:9 A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall perish.

Proverbs 6
    16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
    17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
    18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
    19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Psalm 101:5 Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good thing for Mueller/fake media, and the Dems God is still not enforicng that!

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, well they are under grace or the law?

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think saying the sun "rises" or "sets" is anything but describing the phenomenon from our perspective. After my rare (about 3 per year) haircuts, if anyone comments I will usually say "I got my ears lowered on ___.'

Another angle of this is telling the truth, but in a misleading way. I know of an old movie in which a teenage girl is confronted by the angry wife of man she is flirting with, and later the man says he "calmed her down, " so she is no longer upset-- but he really murdered her (and she was not really his wife).

But I have a story I use to illustrate what I mean about having a firm conviction against lying does not necessarily mean a person is honest:
    A man just didn't want to go to work one day. So, while still lying on his back in bed, he asked his wife to go get a frozen dinner and bring it to him there. His wife did so, and then he threw it up toward the ceiling and caught it. Then he called the office where he works and said, "I'm not coming in today; I'm down flat on my back and I just threw up my dinner."

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does seem that the Lord does allow for us to lie if the expressed intent is to save lives...