1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What must I do in my career situation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 16, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, no one has used "evidence" to disprove any statement that I have posted on this thread.

That you would desire such to be so, does not make it so.

Second, if you read properly, Luke was in agreement with what I posted. I didn't state it is not Scriptural to gather; the post was about gathering on a specific day and making a false claim of righteousness.

It is YOU who need to reconsider your self imposed righteousness. There is NO excuse for you not to work on any day your employer would desire. You have a 40 hour work week and plenty of play time and days of rest.

It is a poor (at best) testimony to both other employees and the employer for you to put a standard in place and then attempt to claim Scriptural authority. The standard is wrong, and there is no Scriptural authority.

For you to even attempt to claim that I "want to work everyday of the week and miss (S)sundays everyweek" is a foolish attempt to discredit the truth of what I posted.

I don't seek to change your mind.

I seek to bring truth to the Scriptural principle that YOU have violated, and expose the foundational construction you have built to be faulty,frail and more, to be not Scriptural.

Your self imposed righteousness is vain glory; no blessings of God can abide upon it.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My dad was in the hospital dying at age 75 when he was saved. A nurse helped lead him to Christ. She was also a member of my church. (I live in a small town with one hospital).

He was saved on a Sunday. Praise God she was there. God used her to bring my father to Him.

(BTW, she only worked weekends so that she could care for her children during the week while her husband worked.)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bottom line: get out of debt.

To do that you need to:

* Cut your spending
    * Make more money
    * Set up a plan and stick to it

You made a promise when you put money on your credit card that you would pay it back. To say that you can't is ignorant, IMO. I've seen people pay off a LOT of debt (over $20,000) in just a couple of years on a salary of under $40,000. How did they do it? By doing it. They cut their expenses to the bone, cut up the credit cards so they didn't charge any more on them, sold what they didn't need and worked extra jobs for a time to be able to pay off sooner. You're single - it's not bad to work a second job while you can. $6,000 in credit card debt is a night job at McDonalds for a year.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am not sure if you are making reference to my post or the original posting, but wanted to make myself clear, as at times I do not. Sunday to me is the day for going to Church and worshipping the Lord, but we should be Christ like everyday, and always be ready to give a reason for our hope in Jesus. (Romans 4:25) I would cite Matthew 28:1 for the reason to have church on Sunday, along with Luke 24:1. However, this is not one of those issues that I would go to battle over, the difference between Saturday and Sunday.

In respect to the job one has, any job and the skill to do the job is a gift from the Lord. One is placed there for a reason, and it is another gathering of people to give an opportunity to talk about salvation. We are commanded in the Bible to work, support our families, tithe (another thread), and not be a burden to others. Proverbs speaks of people so lazy they cannot lift a utinsil to feed themselves. It seems to be rampant in America today.

I have basically worked for one organization for 36 years until forced to retire two years ago for health reasons. I just finished a retraining program, and am starting another job in a couple of weeks in the medical admin field. There have been times when I had more money than others, but never was in danger of being hungry, or without shelter or clothing. Sometimes I had to work Sundays, others not. I have always gone to church when I could, and in fact, am involved in van ministries, Sunday School, visitation, and serving as a deacon. I never really felt guilty about working on Sundays, as I have always felt I was where the Lord would have me to be at the time.

The Lord has been very gracious to me and my family, supplying all of our needs and way beyond. My priorities have always been the Lord first, then family. Family includes a job, as that is the way I take care of them.

If one needs to change a job, and they are in the will of the Lord, the change should be easy and quite clear in their minds as the right thing to do.

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What a tremendous testimony to the graciousness of The Lord Jesus!

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Know you are judging my motives which is condemned by Jesus. Look I set apart a certain day of the week for the Lord, just as how the disciples did so, and millions of people throughout history did so. The Puritans also set apart a certain day of the week if you bothered to check out history. Personal testimony is not about being a slave for your employer. One needs t work hard (yes) but the Lord must be first.

As I mentioned earlier R. Kent Hughes has some great defenses on the Lords Day. Nothing you say will convince me, because what you say is not Biblical, and often is very very judgmental on me.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It occurs to me I need to go back through and read this thread from the first post.

A few months ago, I submitted for retirement. A couple of days ago, I received word that my requested date was denied; but if I wanted to retire earlier, in order to help achieve force reduction goals, they'd approve a (much) earlier date. So my choice now is, wait another year; or retire and move on by September.

Needless to say, there's a lot that goes into the decision making. I'd appreciate your prayers; I have to make a decision today, or Monday at the latest.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are judging my motives which is condemned by Jesus. Look I disagree with you. I believe what you say is not Biblical, and you are not going to change my mind, as I have studied this issue out. Have you studied this issue out? Would the Puritans have worked 7 days a week?

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For that kind of a occupation its okay to work sundays. Praise the Lord your dad got saved!

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God is perfect in all His ways.He ordered the lives of the people to have her there at that time, for that purpose:thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You say you have studied this out in Scripture and came to the conclusion that we shouldn't work on Sundays. Can you point me to the Scripture that gives an exception for nurses?

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Off the top of my head no. However Kent Hughes, David Jeremiah, and another reformed/puritan writer gave a strong defense. Let me check some books, hold…

Okay here they are.

James Hilton, "From Sabbath to Lord’s Day: Examining the Ethics of Sunday,"

Faith & Mission 17/3 (Summer 2000): 65-78.

R. Kent Hughes, Disciplines of a Godly Man (Wheaton: Crossway Books, 2001), 170.

David Jeremiah, Living with Confidence in a Chaotic World (Nashvile: Thomas Nelson, 2009), 93.

Mark Minnick, "Reclaiming the Lord’s Day for the Lord," Mount Calvary Baptist Church.

13. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

So nothing from the Bible then?

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'm not sure if that is accurate. I do agree with you that there's no way we can prove that our modern Saturday is the exact day dating all the way back to the days of creation. The same may be true concerning our modern Sunday and the first day of the week when Christ arose- although I think records are well kept enough to probably make the case that they are the same.

But it seems like you may be saying that since our modern Sunday's may not be the same day as what the new testament calls the lords day then we can adopt a take it or leave it attitude concerning Sunday worship.

If that is what you are saying, then you are very wrong. We are still obligated to gather with the people of God on the day when the people of God honor the sabbath.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not even a thought in my mind when I made the post. However, I would state that anyone who obliges someone else to work so they might worship, may not have their priorities in the right order. I would also count that such a "righteousness" is nothing but puffed up excuse and caries no security in Scriptural authority.

The "sabbath" (shabath in Hebrew - modern spelling shabbat or shabbatt) being a Hebrew word is never taken to be Sunday the word means - rest. The Hebrew folks took that to be the Saturday, but that day by name was never indicated in Scriptures. It could just have well have been Thursday with the week starting on Wednesday.

Why don't believers consider those who are obliged to work on the "weekend" are actually starting their week on a different day? Because someone, sometime, at someplace started the week on Sunday? The day of rest can occur on any day of the week.

Again, only ONCE does the Scriptures use the term "Lord's Day" and there is no certainty that the day was Sunday, Saturday, or any other day. Not by Scriptures and not by history.

I in no way consider that we are not "obligated" by the Scriptures nor that the believer is to "forsake" gathering. That does not mean that one can take the Hebrews passage out of context and actual application to the believer. It does NOT mean the believer cannot miss church on Sunday as some would desire.

The Hebrews passage is that the reason is not because it is wrong to not gather, but that the strength of other believers is an empowering provision to aid in the believer's growth and walk.

Hebrew in context:
    And having an high priest over the house of God;
    Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.​
    Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) and​
    let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.​

Unless the passage is read in context, the believer would be obliged to be "in church" every time the doors are open.

As you can read for yourself it is not the intent of what the writer of Hebrews was stating.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I give up with you as this is not worth it. If you wanna work sunday then go right ahead! But as for me I will not work on sunday, or at least not on a regular basis, because I take it as a high priority to be involved with the people of God and not to forsake the gathering. I also look at the example the early church set in Acts.

17. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Evangelist, you need to grow up. Your threads, your worrys, and your ideas are just silly and juvenile.

John

18. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Get out of debt. Do everything you can do to get out of debt. That can mean drinking water instead of buying coffee and soda for everyday use. It can mean eating beans and rice for a complete protein in your diet. It can mean giving up your cell phone and Internet service for a while. It can mean going without some sleep and time with your friends by working a second job. Even 40 hours a week at minimum wage can make a material difference in what you owe.

It can also mean finding a church with a Sunday evening worship service if you can't attend Sunday morning.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a big spender, and even my roommate would admit to that. I do agree that saving money so I do not rely on credit is a good idea, and what I have and am presently doing. My roommates family has 250K in medical, Credit Cards, and other non house debt. However in their case the Lord has provided them very good paying jobs which will allow them to get out of their debt in 5 years or so. In my case my best move is to continue to save, and once I reach that point in my savings balance, try my best to pay as much on the cards as possible. But a even better move would be to find a job paying more an hour and a better annual salary. This past week I learned that a former co-worker of mine got a job after he also got laid off paying $3 more an hour. If I can find such a job that would be perfect!!!! This is the advice that I hear Ramsey give to most people with a total debt balance as high as mine. My CC debt s nothing, however my student loans are huge.

Another advantage is under the new laws I am not required to pay on my larger student loans due to my income. I did however inform the loan company that I wish to pay what I can until I can find a better paying job. But I will not move anywhere until I can get at least $2500 saved up, of which I have $450 left to go.

#59 evangelist6589, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012
  20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No offense oldtimer but the Bible is quite clear about the body being the temple of the Holy Spirit. Also medically getting no sleep in an effort to pay back debts is suicide as it will destroy the body. I am one of the safety trainers at my job and everyweek give lessons on safety. Working too hard and overworking is very dangerous to the body. Check out this article.

http://helpguide.org/mental/work_stress_management.htm

For this reason I refuse to work 7 days a week and would rather be in debt for a million years than to destroy myself. One of my co-workers has a father that died at age 44, and the main culprit was workaholism, or working too hard and too many hours to pay back debts. This co-worker has refused to work most saturdays, as he seeks to balance his life. I give him credit, as balance is key. We MUST take care of the body that God gave us. We will be sharper in the ministry.

#60 evangelist6589, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2012