1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What on Earth is God Doing? by Renald Showers

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by kathleenmariekg, Dec 22, 2020.

1. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone read, What on Earth is God Doing? by Renald Showers?

https://www.amazon.com/What-Earth-Doing-Renald-Showers/dp/0915540800/

Free BBN Bible Institute Course based on the book and taught by the author.
    Available Divisions of Study

Grace Church spent a semester of Sunday school classes on the book and uploaded the audio files.
    What On Earth Is God Doing? — Grace Church

Obituary
    Renald E. Showers
    Choosing to forego a full-ride scholarship to Cornell University, he attended Philadelphia Bible Institute, Wheaton College, Dallas Theological Seminary, and Grace Theological Seminary to prepare for a lifelong ministry of studying, teaching at Lancaster Bible College, Philadelphia College of Bible, Moody Bible Institute, Word of Life Bible Institute, and the Institute of Jewish Studies, preaching around the world, and authoring 15 Christian books. His most popular book, "What on Earth is God Doing?" has been published in several languages.

BBN BI has several other free courses by Renald Showers.

10300 Doctrine Of Angels (Level 3)
    10500 Dispensational Theology (Level 3)
    11100 Doctrine Of Future Events (Level 3)
    11400 Doctrine Of Man (Level 1)
    41000 Daniel (Level 3)

#1 kathleenmariekg, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  2. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not familiar with the book, but it sounds like it would be very good. Judging from His education and other writings he appears to be Dispensational, as I am also. I am surprised I never heard of it or him before.

Quantrill

#2 Quantrill, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is very dispensational. His dispensation course is the first one I took from BBN BI. It is free and a very good introduction to the subject. I took a lot of notes, and want to take all his courses.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Classic Dispy, or?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Explain.

Quantrill

6. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I praise God for you sister. I hope you have a good Scofield Study Bible. If not, please consider it. It will help you tremendously.

Quantrill

• Like Like x 1
  7. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am suffering from a severe migraine, so please forgive me for starting a thread and then not responding for so long.

I am not an expert on dispensationalism, but from what I do know, he appears to be solidly in line with what I have read in my e-book versions of Scofield.

Professor Showers likes prefect lists. He adds things to Scofield but never contradicts him, as far as I can understand. It is possible that some people might disagree with single points included in the lists that may have been manufactured to make the information fit into a perfect chart. Maybe sometimes a box of a chart should remain empty or vague. That is beyond me.

Professor Showers courses did pass the criteria to be included in the BBN BI courses, so I am assuming that explains a lot.

If anyone likes perfect charts, and has been struggling to create one for their personal notes, Professor Showers might have successfully created one. I find my notes to his courses very valuable, and so far don't see anything in conflict with the McGee Bible outlines on the front of my Bible, or anything I have heard so far in the radio programs.

Eventually, I will probably get a Scofield Bible. I have not yet found one with the right combination of price and text size and quality, and I need to pay down some debt, and I invested in some Rainbow tabs for my McGee Bible that made it really functional. I think the McGee Bible is the Bible I am meant to use this year. Next year is likely to be a Scofield supplemented by a paperback copy of the McGee outlines.

8. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    McGee is good. And, he is a student of Scofield and Dispensational teaching.

What I like to recommend is this. Find the Bible you like and trust. Then, always use that single Bible. When you buy another one, buy the same exact Bible. Why? Because as you read and study for a period of time in that Bible, you become familiar where things are on the page. Top right hand corner or lower left middle, etc. It helps tremendously when you know the verse you are looking for but cant remember it's exact address.

Today, I also advise Christians to buy now the number of Bibles you will need the rest of your life. You don't know when it may happen that you can't get Bibles anymore. It sounds crazy...but just look at our times. It is coming.

Quantrill

9. kathleenmariekg

Faith:
    Baptist
    McGee and others here have talked about doing that with the Scofield.

Even if I am allowed to collect things temporarily, my life is too chaotic to count on keeping ANYTHING. Whenever I start my next journey, my possessions always seem to find really good homes. I tend to think about who I can give things to as soon as I get them, because the day always comes, and usually very suddenly without a lot of warning.

It is so comforting when I can rebuy an identical book later on when I am settled in my new place. I do it with cookbooks as well as some other books.