1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What PDA would you buy?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Hardsheller, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm in the market for a PDA.

I had a Handspring Visor Platinum until I dropped it and broke the screen.

Can these things be repaired and is it worth it?

If you were buying a new PDA what would you recommend and why?

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I am saving up for the Treo650. I have a Clie Palm OS and a Nokia cell phone, but it would be nice to have the Treo650 so I can have my phone and PDA in one.

3. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Talked to a guy yesterday who had one - Treo 650 - and he said the phone is not as good as his old one. Cuts out more seems not to be as strong as his previous phone.

I agree that it would be nice to have one electronic device that did it all but I'm not sure it's worth the sacrifice in phone service.

Since I live in a semi-rural area this is critical

4. natters

natters New Member

Often you can buy replacement parts (or broken PDAs you can use for parts) like that on ebay, if you're comfortable with trying to fix it yourself.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are on a budget you could try ebay, lots of nice stuff available, next step up would be Dell, they have some nice ones.

If you would list what you need to do on it, some might have better ideas.

E-sword works well on Dell's :)

If you want to do a lot of typing I'd suggest a handheld pro like the jornada 820 or mobilepro series. 750-780 are small and the 800-880 are larger but very light and very useful for doing some serious typing.

Wife and I have dell's and have been quite pleased with what we can do with them on an everyday basis.

6. superdave

superdave New Member

I have a Treo 600, I actually at times would rather have my phone and palm separate, but it works pretty well. Work provides it, and pays the cell bill, so I don't complain much :D I have asked when they think we might be able to switch to the 650, bluetooth beckons.

I used to have a Sony Clie, Palm OS, very reliable, I wore the silver paint off it, it still works well. It was grayscale, so the treo color screen is pretty nice.

I thought I would miss using grafitti, but I have gotten very spoiled using the keyboard on the treo.

7. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Thanks guys for all your input.

I use my pda mainly for Contact Manager and Business Expense Manager.

I would like to upgrade to something that will allow me to listen to MP3 etc, and would also like to be able to use my PDA for Sermon Notes in the Pulpit.

Wireless access to the Web would be nice if it was free but I'm not interested in paying extra for that convenience. So it would have to be able to access the internet through my wireless access point in my home like my laptop does.

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I have a Palm Tungsten T5 that I am quite well pleased with. No phone but I didn't want one. Good screen, fast, plenty of memory.