1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What role did Christ's body play in his personhood?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gold Dragon, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In a previous thread, I was discussing with someone the personhood of Christ and it got me thinking. I know ... dangerous. :)

The Divine Logos is the 2nd person in the Trinity.

The Council of Chalcedon in 451 described the hypostatic union of a divine nature and human nature in the person of Jesus after the incarnation.

What role did Christ's body play in his personhood? Is the body what makes him have a human nature? Could he have a human nature independent of his body?

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Without a body, Christ could not have suffered and died. He could not have been a sacrifice for our sins. So yes, Christ's human body really is the sine qua non of our salvation.

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

I'm not sure it's his body that makes him have a human nature. I think a human nature might be something a person has distinct from their body. I'd think that those human beings who have died and are yet to be resurrected still have a human nature, and are still persons.

We do know, however, that it was necessary for Jesus to have a fully human body. He had to be like us in every way, including sharing in our flesh and blood, in order to die in our place as our representative.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. The Council of Chalcedon got it right. Scripture bears reference to both the divinity and humanity, for that cannot be denied without serious distortion of Scripture.

2. But do we understand fully His Incarnation? Not at all!

3. He got hungry, tired, sleepy and even wept.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me ask the question that's being implied. (I'm the someone in the other thread.)

What is the nature of Christ's glorified body? The Scriptural answer is, that's a foolish and contentious question. We know that what is planted is not the same as that which comes up. In other words, the nature of Christ's glorified body is as different in nature from His earthly body as a rose bloom is different in nature from the seed from which it sprouted.

It is no longer subject to corruption or weakness of any sort. It was sown a physical body, but raised a spiritual body. And it cannot be killed.

Our glorified bodies will be like His. Because flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Gold Dragon is saying that flesh and blood has inherited the kindgom of heaven, that our mortal bodies are saved just as our souls are, and not only that, but our earthly lives as well. Therefore, to deny fleshly lusts, and to take our affections off of the things on the earth is to deny our personhood.

In otherwords, he's saying our souls cannot be saved apart from the body, because our personhood is inextricably linked to our mortal bodies. In response to that I said that Christ's Personhood was in no way affected by His body.

Before His Incarnation, He was God's only begotten Son. During His Incarnation, He was God's only begotten Son. After His Incarnation, He was God's only begotten Son. Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever. He was and always will be the only begotten Son of God.

In response, he accused me of denying Christ's humanity.

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Aaron, you are reading, way too much into a few of my words. But thanks for bringing up some excellent new points for discussion.

What are the differences between Christ's body before the ressurrection and after the ressurrection? Was one less a part of his personhood than the other? How do we reconcile the concept of immutability with the body of Christ and its apparent changes during the incarnation and the ressurrection?

I would prefer to keep it focused on Christ's body for now. Thanks.

If you read carefully, I didn't accuse you of denying Christ's humanity, simply treading close to repeating some of the errors of previous groups that the Council of Chalcedon was addressing.

#6 Gold Dragon, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  7. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for all the other responses as well. Some great contributions. :thumbs:

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Is a hypostatic union anything like a hypodeemic nerdle?

9. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1 Cor. 15, it states 11 times directly and 3 times indirectly that our physical bodies will be raised. With Christ, the exact same body that went into the grave came out again, with holes in his hands and feet and side. The same body that is sown in the grave is raised, only now it is glorified and will not see corruption.

We are a soul/body unity, and the soul is not complete without the body, hence the ressurrection.

10. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some great thoughts russell55 and this is the direction I was hoping the thread would turn.

What is it that made Christ have a human nature? Was his body part of it or even all of it?

My discussion with Aaron made me realize that I was equating Christ's body with his human nature or at least his body being a significant part of his human nature. I am trying to determine if my association has any biblical and logical merit.

I agree that when Christ didn't have a body and when we don't have a body, we are still persons. Some persons will go to heaven and some persons will go to hell. But will we still have a human nature? Will we still be human persons?

Sorry, getting detracted from Christ.

Did Christ have a human nature before the incarnation, after the ressurrection and after his ascension? Was he a human person at those times?

#10 Gold Dragon, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007