1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What say you

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Nov 4, 2011.

?
  1. I would be totally in greement with all His laws and punishments

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Some are all right but some are too harsh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would not want to live under such laws

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. other

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This specific topic might not have been referencing Salvation but wasn't the Law intend so as to point in that direction? Accordingly, no one could keep the specific tenants of the Law which then lead to the Cross. I would not care to live under the OT Law in any shape, manner or form when now it's all about Grace. Returning, would be like forcing people to return to the plantations.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

To those it was not meant for, yes! Different dispensation, different rules of conduct.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Please do show which of the 613 commandments in the OT are barbaric.

These Laws depict Christ in perfection and ability to fulfill them.

Show which ones are then barbaric since you have ascribed them as such.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So what is it about?

I thought our country's laws were based on the 10 commandments and God's laws. :confused:

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Read the OP." :sleep:

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If you had your child stoned to death today for getting drunk, I wonder what the general consensus would be? Do you think some might think it was a little barbaric?

7. preacher4truth

Do you have some passages for that? Or just more ramblings?

Answer my question. Which of the OT commands are barbaric?

By the way, I'm not under pressure of the publics (general) "consensus." I couldn't care less how the general consensus of the public feels about this.

None of the OT commands were a waste of time. There were specific purposes for such. Yet, you say the Calvinists make God a monster? This is exactly what you are ascribing to God and Christ.

#47 preacher4truth, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Deu 21:18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
    Deu 21:19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
    Deu 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
    Deu 21:21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

9. preacher4truth

So God was barbaric (as you've stated His commands and their nature to be)? His commands are barbaric?

Or, you don't understand justice or think justice fair?

Was God wrong here Robert?

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You just love asking questions and assuming things. I guess when someone is unsure of what they believe they employ such tactics.

By today's standards this would be considered barbaric.

No, obviously I don't think God was wrong; He can never be wrong.

Now, let me ask you two questions.

Why didn't God put the church under these types of standards?

Do you think we should live under these laws today?

11. preacher4truth

First of all, no one "assumed" anything, specifically me. You're the person who called Gods laws barbaric, so there was no assuming whatsoever. You'll have to face your own conscience and words as to stating this law as barbaric, not me.

Who made anyone of today culpable of making and deciding what standards are correct and incorrect concerning justice and punishment for sins? Is "today" and what persons "think" our standard? Not at all. Thus todays "standards" don't matter at all, neither is God placing anyone under todays standards, but under His. You do greatly err here.

The world is under such standards to fulfill them, which "it" cannot fulfill nor can "it" keep them. To the church, they are not under such, since Christ paid the penalty and fulfilled these standards for her, redeeming her, forgiving the elect therein for all sins and failures.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Are you unable to answer two simple questions?

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Again, this is not about salvation or religion. Read the OP

14. preacher4truth

I've answered you.

You call Gods law barbaric. Enough said right there.

Let what the world thinks be your standard.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes they were, but they are not based on salvation or religion.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is an interesting view you hold about God. So let me be clear. You are saying that thou shalt not kill is barbaric, thou shalt not commit adultery, is barbaric, thou shalt not steal is barbaric, and so on, along with the consequesnces for doing those things is all barbaric, correct?

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

FAL, your question is too vague. I sincerely thought I answered it, I said I had no problem with the Ten Commandments and thought we should keep these laws today.

Be more specific, which laws are you speaking of? I don't believe it would be good to chase down someone who killed a family member and kill them as Moses' law allowed, what if you killed the wrong person? So while I believe our judicial system is far from perfect, I do think everyone should be given a fair trial and proven guilty before being executed.

If you want people to properly answer your question, be more specific, obviously no one understands what you are asking for, and that is YOUR fault.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Just what the OP says. Leave out all the ceremonies, feasts, and rituals (religious aspects) and you are left with all the legal requirements to govern a nation for peace and justice. Would you want to live under those laws and punishments for breaking them that are given in scripture? By the way the law of Moses did not allow someone to chase down a person for revenge against murder by a family member. They were to be taken before the leaders for judgement. Read the sermon on the mount that deals that false belief.

#58 freeatlast, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Read Deut 23:1-2, a person who has been wounded in his privates could not enter the congregation. Would you deny a war vet that had been wounded into church? In vs. 2 it says a bastard cannot enter the congregation for 10 generations. Would you not allow someone born illegitimate or their descendants for 10 generations into church?

You are trying to separate between religion and government, when ancient Israel was a Theocracy. It can't be done. To the Jews, this was the government.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stop banging your head winman.
    I did read (more than once) and I guess we are on different wave lengths.

HankD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.