1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What should be the PRIMARY emphasis of Christianity?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Apr 1, 2008.

?
  1. The Gospel

79.5%
  2. Morality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

20.5%
  1. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I hit 'other' because 'morality' changes. There is no definition here of 'morality.' Plain and simple, if you, as an individual, walk as closely with God as possible, averything else, including preaching the gospel, and morality will take care of itself. What we have to day is too many 'preachers' and not enough 'walkers.'

#21 Rubato 1, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see a three-pronged emphasis of Christianity, and therefore the of the church:
    To Worship God
    To Disciple Believers
    To Witness to the Lost

All three are vital in fulfilling the church's mission. To leave any of the three out is wrong.

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

The gospel.

And I think answering "the gospel" is equivalent to answering "Jesus Christ" or "the cross," sinceWhy would I say the gospel is primary?

The gospel is of first importance, and the gospel is the good news of Christ and the cross (including the resurrection).

#23 russell55, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  4. nunatak

nunatak New Member

And I would add:

(1Co 2:2) For I decided to be concerned about nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

To the lost the emphasis should be the Gospel. Then in discipleship the teaching of morality by the sincere milk of the Word. First through the epistles of Paul then the direction of the rest of the Word of God.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primary emphasis should be what Paul stated so clearly: "that we should be to the praise of the glory of His grace".

Everything we do MUST be first and foremost "doxological" (bringing glory to God and His grace). Remember, our salvation is "collateral" and not the focus. When we put anything else first (the Gospel, righteous living, our church, et al) we open the door to wrong priorities.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I would definitely agree that the chief end of man is to glorify God.

I suppose you are right, though...well...yeah. You are.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sad thing is when people put soulwinning, witnessing, evangelism, preaching (soteriological) as primary, then they may excuse bad conduct/theology as long as "the Gospel is preached".

My goal is doxological, to give glory to God (in preaching the Gospel, of course) in EVERYTHING. Hence I chose "other" on this poll.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

In my defense I was mostly meaning between the two, should we try to get people to be moral, or proclaim the gospel?

I have heard so many times "why argue over doctrine when people are going to hell"

Why not put aside differences and just win people?

Well if evangelism is the chief end of man then that is a valid point.
    If soul winning is the ultimate goal, then who cares if we have to do what Jack Hyles did to accomplish that?

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Christianity has the cross of Christ at its center.

Paul knew that:

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world" (Gal 6:14, TNIV, emphasis mine).

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The cross resurection is what separates Christianity from al the rest

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Some who call themselves evangelicals now find the cross to bloody--cosmic child abuse.

Paul is so prophetic:

"Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength." (1 Cor 1:22-25, TNIV).

13. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I spent many years of my life living where baptists were rare--and strange.

There were many fine church buildings and organizations. Most were extremely orthodox in their teaching. Many did a fine job of praising God. Virtually all aimed to glorify God.

And in all that time, I met maybe 3 people who were born again.

I hate to think how many souls we condemn to hell focusing on "doing church right" or being "doctrinally and morally pure" (all good things we should do) but neglect to evangelize.

Breaks my heart that my own convention has moved away from being bar none the most evangelistic bunch of people I ever met to fighting over how to play (oops, do) church, over power struggles, and over making unsaved people act like Christians.

Maybe we all need a good rousing round of "Will there be any stars in my crown." Or a season of repentance.

14. 2serve

2serve New Member

Very wellsaid!
    This is the reason that we have so many "Churches" that are doing nothing (our four and no more.) because we have become so buisy "Glorifing God" or "Worshiping" or "Praising God" or "doxoligizing"!!! God forgive us. Please Lord God Forgive us.
    " If my people who are called by my name shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
    Lord God help us to develop more harvesters and let the fruit inspectors die off.

THE BIBLE SAYS!
    He "came to seek and to save that which was lost"
    " How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? and how shall they preach, except they be sent?... so then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God."
    Jesus last command to his disciples and thereby to you also was to
    " Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to all creatures baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost." and elsewhere he followed that statement with " teaching them all things whatsoever I have commanded you."
    " Without faith it is impossible to please him"
    There are more than a few of you who need to go back to the well and hear the words of the master when he said that " ye worship ye know not what" "True worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth"
    "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God"
    " if I be lifted up I will draw all men unto my self"

How many of us go to church and turn our worship on. Friend if that worship doesn't happen in your spirit when you are not at Church it won't happen "in truth" when you are at Church. And the same goes with Praise and Prayer, and glorifing God and all of the other Churchisms that you want to put first.

The primary thing is to reach people with the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, outside of this there is no Glory, no Praise, no Worship no nothing else.
    So whether or not you agree with me or not I don't care. What I do care about is that If you disagree your focus is on vanity and my prayer is that you would change your mind and return to the first works.

With that said my God richly bless you all and may he have all of our hearts to change and mold as he wills.

#34 2serve, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Christ...1 Cor 2:2

16. nunatak

nunatak New Member

For my part, this is the best post I have read.:thumbs:

17. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree.

Question. What is the chief end of man? Answer. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him for ever.

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't like your answers...

The primary reality of the Christian faith is our interactive discipling relationship with Christ, as we learn to live our lives they way He would live them if He were in our place.

Our primary purpose in this world is to make disciples (not just converts) who have the same interactive relationship with Christ that we have.

Positive, constructive morality is a side-effect of our relationship to Christ.

The gospel is simply the "good news" about Christ that points toward and guides us in discipleship, but the facts of the gospel are no substitute for the relationship, and have no "saving" effect.