1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What the Non-Cals really want !

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 4boys4joys, Sep 6, 2007.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Man, you are one old geezer. :laugh:

2. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Yes, I believe that God predestines all things, not just the elect to salvation. This more broad idea of predestination (outside of the elect only) is shown in Scripture (Acts 4:28; 1 Corinthians 2:7)

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

MAN ALIVE! You are over 100??? Gotta be the oldest BB member by far!

:laugh:

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

RB, Mexleaf, Are you guys for real? But I still see your sense of humor for this old eccentric man. But if it's my avatar, then...:laugh:

5. ReformedBaptist

I was just playing. How old are you anyway?

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

This verse is talking about CHRIST not men. Look at it in context.

1Pe 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, [as] silver and gold, from your vain conversation [received] by tradition from your fathers;
    1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
    1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Last time I checked, 31.

8. ReformedBaptist

You'll have to help me out here a bit. What exactly are you responding to in my post. The quote that came up doesn't seem to correspond with how you replied.

9. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

Just wanted to know what was misleading. Thanks Bro. Williams

10. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Mainly the first line,

It is not that Non-calvs have a hard time accepting predestination, most do in the Biblical sense, it is that we don't accept the calv view of predistination.

11. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

TO the calvs:

See, this is the confusing part to me. Are there different views within the calv circles? For I am run into many who believe all is predistinated, like me typing this post, yet you all seem to believe in predestination only in reference to salvation. Is that a more accurate view of the stance most calvs take on this board?

12. ReformedBaptist

It is true that there are different views that agreeably can be called Calvinistic. i.e. Supralapsarian, Infralapsarian. e.t And there are extremes, not properly called historic calvinsim, i.e. hyper-calvinism. As touching predestination and God's Sovereignty and concerning a "universal" view of Calvinists, it is best to appeal to their creeds/statements of faith. Most representative of Calvinists today would be the Westminster Confession of Faith and for Baptists, the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. There are others, but these should be sufficient to represent a great part of those called calvinists.

13. larryjf

larryjf New Member

There are differences within the Calvinist camp as there are differences within most camps.

Personally, i believe all is predestined. But you have to dig deep into the theology to understand that it doesn't deny that individuals still make free choices. One of the issues about God's predestination of everything is that it is hidden, in His secret will, so we can't know what it is until it comes to pass. The other thing to consider is that God does not merely predestine the ends, but also the means. So God predestined me to make the free choice of typing this post.

The predestination of an act from God's standpoint does not mean that the act is not done by free choice. The two are not mutually exclusive.