1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What the Spirit Seems to be Leading Me to Concerning the American Churches

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know my title is bold, but I feel compelled to use it after two years of feeling led by the Spirit concerning my biggest concerns about the church. A very long story I can go into in detail. I have felt led, so far, to three pieces of advice for American Christians (a very bold statement I know):

1. Serve God with your time, energy, and money.

2. Remember the parable of the sheep and the goats and the story of the rich man and Lazarus when you do serve. I say this because in America we so easily forget about poor, persecuted, sick, and imprisoned believers, that are hard workers or unable to work.

3. Pursue righteousness devotedly.

I am amazed how simple this is, since for two years I have been in angst because of personal experiences, sermons I hear, and polling by groups like Barna that have noticed that these areas of service, generosity, and personal holiness; are areas the American church, not necessarily church leaders, really struggle with.

Well why is this important? What is at stake? Two things:

First, based on the bible in Revelation 2-3, it would seem to be the very survival of our congregations. Jesus repeatedly warns some congregations in these two chapters of an end to their churches if they continue in disobedience. We often look at the qualities that Jesus lambastes, such as lukewarmness for instance. But, in truth, there are numerous problems in these churches that are addressed that boil down to disobedience, especially at a group level. If Jesus did not spare 1st century churches suffering in Rome, why would we ever dare to think he would spare us if we show infidelity to Him? There is no such thing as “structural disobedience” without serious risk. Therefore, it is imperative that churches proclaim the need for personal holiness, work to get Members into service, and make it a firm point that generosity to less advantaged Christians is a must.

Second, given my own history of only coming to saving faith two years ago, despite years in a southern baptist church as a liberal “Christian.” I can say that we need to reach people with the need to examine themselves as to whether they have the deposit of the Holy Spirit and saving faith. Now, it is Christ’s Cross that saves us and gets us the deposit of the Holy Spirit, of course. It is by faith alone that we get the Spirit and justification, but that very Spirit gives us a changed life. Repeatedly, the bible warns us to have good works as a sign of our faith, especially in the Book of 1 John and the Book of James. My imperative is to make sure that I reach all those that are like I used to be, so that they do not “go to hell on a featherbed” as it is said. In an environment of biblical and Spiritual conviction over disobedience, it will become easier to help people who are not saved examine themselves and see if the Law is on their hearts.

I have to mention that Earth Wind and Fire helped get me here by telling me to prayerfully search out what the Spirit is telling the churches, not necessarily people running organizations like Barna Research. I have a long way to go, but I thought I would give this much, so that my message can be sharpened. Also, unpacking these three points theologically with the bible will take forever, which will keep me busy reading the Word over and over again.

2. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Steve,

A few things about the Story of Lazarus and the Rich Man. Jesus could have easily set up the story where Lazarus was on the other side of the empire. He did not.

Lazarus was just outside his house. Jesus also said that the poor will always be among us. I don't think Christians should focus on physical poverty more than spiritual poverty.

Also, I don't think that Christians should love our enemies more than we love other Christians. I am more concerned about Christians in Syria than Muslims in Syria. All the letters in the new Testament were written to Christians - not to those who opposed Christ. The Gospels were written to those still open to good news.

God is very kind and forgiving. Read Jonah for an example.

Marty

3. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you on this. The Parable of the Sheep and Goats refers to fellow believers and that is telling.

The thing I am saying is not that we focus on physical poverty more than spiritual poverty. I did not say that in my OP. I hate the Social Gospel. Instead, I said that we obey the scriptures and include help to fellow Christians and the poor as a priority subsumed within our service to God. Something definitely in submission to the core Gospel message.

• Like Like x 1