1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Thinketh Ye of Whitefield Theological Seminary?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TCGreek, Jun 3, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I was reading somewhere that RC Sproul got a Doctorate from them. So I found their website and read that they are a member of AmFed and do not seek secular accreditation.

Why would a renowned scholar/theologian/minister like RC Sproul do a doctorate with an unaccredited school?

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I've wondered the same thing. Sproul has an earned doctorate from the Free University of Amsterdam (1969) and there is no doubt that he is a genius. I honestly don't know much about Whitefield, but I don't believe it to be a diploma mill. Perhaps Sproul is trying to lend credibility to an unaccredited school that might otherwise not have any.

Any other ideas??

3. larryjf

larryjf New Member

It is an excellent school with rigorous standards.

And yes, i believe RC Sproul received his doctorate from there to lend credibility.

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

It looks terrific. I would earn a Ph.D. with them except that they are not accredited.

I'm pretty certain that Sproul received a Ph.D. for submitting one of his book transcripts. Can't prove it, but that's what I think.

I wonder if they could achieve accreditation. I highly doubt it.

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whitefield Reply

Gentlemen:

I have been gone to St. Simon's Is., GA for a short conference and sabbatical time so I have been away from the BB for a few days.

I was only wondering: Maybe RC wanted to lend creedence to the school or;

1. Maybe he just wanted an additional doctorate or;

2. Maybe there was an area where he wanted to do some intense research work and just happened to want to pick up the second doctorate as he went along?

Seems like good speculation to me?

I have never seen another question about a man's wanting or acquiring a second doctorate on this BB thread before so why now?

I thought the OP was about the school and not about the man?

Maybe I am just wrong? Could be?!:laugh:

"Stay by the stuff!"

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I think the school wanted credibility.

Just speculation.

The school appears credible. I wish that it could be a division of Liberty University and be regionally accredited.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I almost entered their doctoral program three years ago. Family issues prevented me. Should the finances avail themselves, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I found the folks there to be first rate and the program seemed to be no cake walk. It was almost exactly what I wanted.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I remember reading how BJU got record TRACS accreditation because, even though unaccredited, they were credible. Should Whitefield be viewed in the same light.

I am all for accreditation, hands down. Is it true that non-accreditation means lack of quality and accreditation means quality?

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Heavens, no. There are some accredited schools that are atrocious. Union Theological Seminary might be accredited, but their quality? Please. (actually, bad example- with all their troubles, they may not be anymore). There are some non-accredited schools (Columbia Evangelical Seminary comes immediately to mind) that are sound in quality but because of their approach, will likely never be accredited.

Were Whitefield accredited, I think their enrollment would increase. However, I don't know if they would want that.

(The more we talk about Whitefield, the more I want to go in debt to earn a doctorate from there) :laugh:

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Speculation

Yes, this is just pure speculation without knowledge and background. Whitefield is very well respected within conservative Reformed circles. Kenneth Gentry and other well-known Reformed leaders have their degrees Whitefield. I don't necessarily think that Whitefield needed R.C. Sproul for credibility within their ranks but Sproul certainly helped himself in his own circles with a Whitefield degree even though he may have brought Whitefield to a wider audience. BTW, the reason that Whitefield, along with Greenville Presbyterian Seminary and others, is not accredited is because they are appealing to a narrow niche of theologically conservative Reformed persuasion. Accreditation would actually mean a loss of status and standing. :smilewinkgrin:

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Ask questions consistently

Why not? This is a strong base of support for Sproul and his theological views. Almost everyone agrees that Whitefield is rigorous and demanding. It carries great credibility in certain circles in which Sproul moves and draws support.

I know that you have expressed an admiration for Liberty. Can you tell me why the President of Liberty Theological Seminary and Graduate School, who holds the UNISA Th.D., has a degree (D.Min.) from Emmanuel Baptist University, a less than wonderful school whose credibility may be in question? Yes, Dr. Ergun Caner has a D.Min. from Emmanuel which was listed in his vitae within the past year. Since I have raised this question several times on the Internet, it seems to have been removed but I cannot say that I caused the removal—the web page has been redesigned.

Now, this is not a slam at Liberty or Dr. Caner but it is simply to illustrate that everything is not black and white. Life does not progress in straight lines and accreditation is not the ultimate benchmark of life.

#11 paidagogos, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  12. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Opinions are best grounded on knowledge

Yes, Sproul was looking for credibility and status within his own circle of Reformed scholars. Popularity among the laity is not the same as respectibility among theologians.

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Questionable?

Whitefield considers itself highbrow Reformed. I doubted that they would be pleased to come under Liberty. They probably would not consider them scholarly enough and most certainly not strongly Reformed in doctrine. Did I read in their materials that they don't accept transfer credits?

14. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

How expensive is Whitefield?

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Tom, I feel the same way. The focus of the seminary is almost exactly what I want as well. As a stand alone seminary without an impressive library, etc, I don't think it could achieve accreditation. But why oh why can't it be part of a university that specialize in distance learning?

16. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Opinion? On what basis?

How large are the libraries at the University of Phoenix, Western Governors University, Capella University, Jones International University, etc.? All are online degree programs accredited by regional accreditors.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good observation. When I think about it, there is alot more to accreditation than what meets the eyes. University of Pheonix is an example of such.

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member