1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What to do next?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Another problem with this situation is that these people might be influencing others to do this diet and it will spread. The diet is dangerous because the "supplements" sold by the guy who promotes this are not nutritionally sufficient. I think the diet is not only vegetarian, but vegan (no animal products). I was vegan for a couple of years back in the 80's (and I am vegetarian today for several reasons, but not for the reasons I was before being saved) and so I know it's hard to maintain a vegan diet, especially for children. You have to go out of your way to get certain nutrients. When we were doing vegan, we did not put our son on a vegan diet as we knew the dangers.

I've had to look up this diet in my ministry because people have asked me about it. Unfortunately, there are several other "Bible-based diets" that are popular (some promoted by well-known Christians). The problem with these is that the authors are saying that this is the way the Bible says you should eat, and they don't have scriptural support for it. It's not just a matter of their preference or what they think -- they are claiming it's God's way to eat, as the Hallelujah Diet does.

Here's another link on the problems with the Hallelujah Diet
    http://www.letgodbetrue.com/bible/heresies/hallelujah-diet.htm

I haven't read it through completely but I skimmed it and it looked like it had good info.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great link, Marcia! I loved this part:

"India has 1/6 of the earth’s population, but no athletes. How many individual Olympic medals has this nation earned since the Olympics resumed in 1896? Three bronze medals! Why? They avoid meat religiously! They should have prodigious strength and endurance for not polluting their bodies with animal protein, according to Reverend George Malkmus! Something is wrong with their training table menu. They might want to think about eating three times a week at Kentucky Fried Chicken! The "Hallelujah Diet" is heresy!"

3. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

I am with you, John of Japan. If the pastor, who is the shephard of the church has already spoken to them twice and they did not submit to that, then the next step is to take a witness before them, if they do not repent, then, church discipline in needed. What in the world are they doing mentioning their diet preference during the worship service anyway? It is God's time, not theirs, even if they lead the worship. It will split the church, a little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump. If the staff and ministers of the church are not in line with the direction and goals of the pastor, division will come. It sounds as if they are looking for their own following. I would take a close watch on them. What and why they eat in their own private time is their business, but do not bring it into the church, especially when the pastor has asked twice not to do that. It sounds as if they have their own agenda, and the pastor is not included in it. If they decide to leave over this, then you know the one who has the problem, them. They are to obey them that have the rule over them and submit to them on spiritual matters. Their rebellion will keep your church from moving forward, sin in the camp must be dealt with, Just ask Achan.

4. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Great counsel, Tom!! Right on

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Goodness, the pulpit isnt the proper platform for dietary opinions. I think you have gotten good advice here. Maybe they could have a sign up list at church of folks who may be interested (probably wont be many, lol) and they can talk to them privately about it. I am sure they think they are proclaiming God's word this way. Sure makes me glad I am a pastor's WIFE :)

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

They definitely should not have sign up sheets for people! This is more a money making scheme than a diet. You have to buy the guy's supplements, which actually don't supplement. His lack of biblical support for saying this is how God wants you to eat shows it's more his idea of how to sell stuff than anything else. His ignorance of the medical issues of the diet is pathetic. There are so many people out there like this the Christian community ripping people off right and left. I get disgusted every time I see stuff like this, and I've seen a lot of it.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have a church potluck and invite people to bring a main dish and salad or dessert and see what they bring. You will see how effective the diet promoter is.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John R. Rice had a policy that if he invited you to preach at a Sword Conference, you had to agree to preach on soul winning and revival. Well at a conference in Murfreesboro one year, a certain well known evangelist whose name I won't say preached much of his message on diet. Funny thing, he never preached at another Sword Conference! :smilewinkgrin:

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Now this is a good idea.

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Update

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. After having spoken for a while this morning, they have decided to find a church where the pastor will support them in their ministry. There are no bad feelings, but after this Sunday, they won't be leading the worship.

Now, I'm going to go and have a cheeseburger with all the trimmings. :D

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think you did the right thing for your church. :applause: You need to protect the flock there.

The sad thing is that now they will go somewhere and spread this bad information around there. I have a friend just diagnosed with cancer who was given this Diet as an answer and "cure" for his cancer! Fortunately, he is not one to fall for this, but so many Christians do fall for it. I get emails asking about this Diet fairly often.

I guess if these people find a pastor into this diet or who supports them, it's going to be on his head when God asks him about it. These kind of things are not only spiritually wrong (because the bible does not support this "diet" as claimed by Malkmus) but physically dangerous to some, especially if they abandon regular treatments to do the "diet." :tear: So there is theological and nutritional error.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sounds like they will have a beef with almost every church they attend.

:laugh:

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord things worked out okay for your church.

And I hope you had a ton of french fries with that cheeseburger! :thumbs:

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: :laugh:

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John,
    The french fries were good ... :thumbs:

"Sounds like they will have a beef with almost every church they attend."

That was too funny!:applause:

16. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

First I don't want to add coals to the fire. I could say something to you, being outside the problem that could incite you to do something the Lord did not want you to do. I sure don't want to be there.
    Secondly, a little advise. Forgive the advisor if you already know it or someone else has covered it.

1) The person with the microphone has the power. Maybe not all the power but at least some delegated power. That mike has control attached to it. Do not put someone there who you think could adversely affect the work.
    2) It has been my expensive experience that holistic doctors can, I repeat can, gather a following within your congregation. You teach the Word of God and that carries authority and they teach how to live healthy lives and that carries authority.
    3) When your authority crosses their authority.........look out!

Been there, done that, Not a pretty picture. We went from 70 to 17 in three weeks. The doctor quietly advised everyone that the pastor obviously didn't have everyone's best intrest in view and whamo! We got quite a few back but it took awhile and through much turmoil.

I will be praying for you and I hope you don't jump to conclusions but you have the best view of what's happening, just look to the Lord and use whatever is here on the board that can help. Like eating fish, eat the meat and spit out the bones.

Bartimaeus

17. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

I've heard of being a day late and a dollar short, but what I did was rediculous. Sorta..like telling a person how to catch fish that already has a stringer full. Lotsa hot air flyin'

OH Well,
    I am also glad it all worked out. Thank the Lord you didn't have to go through my valley.

Bartimaeus

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I disagree, the person with the mic has the stage but they still need to stay within the doctorine of the Church or the stage and mic must be taken from them. The Pastor is responsible for the doctrine being taught to the flock which is a responsibility he must take serious. I've had to sit down a preacher in the middle of his sermon. It's a tough decision to make but it goes with the job of Pastor.

19. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

I am now causing trouble on top of giving advice too late. I am sorry I did not make myself clear.
    I only meant to say that anyone who has a microphone on a regular basis in front of a congregation may have the opportunity of changing the course of the church or influencing people in the wrong direction. I totally agree with you LeBuick. You are correct.

Thanks Bartimaeus