1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What to do with the terrible 2's

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by SHawk, Jul 17, 2010.

1. SHawk

SHawk New Member

I have 4 children-9 and 8 both in 3rd grade, 6 1st grade, and 2 yrs old. My 2 year old son is VERY active. When we do school he's into everything. He doesn't seem to understand that he is not as old as the others. I never had this much trouble with my 6 yr before she started school. She would quietly color or play. Nothing seems to really keep his interest. I've tried all kinds of different toys. Anyone have any suggestions?:BangHead:

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Have you tried doing the "important" stuff while he naps?

Maybe put aside certain toys that he only gets to play with during school?

Letting him run a few laps around the house before you begin? (yes, around the outside of the house! I had one just like him and there are days when I still tell him he needs to go run off some of that energy! lol)

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not much to add to what MK said, but I have, on occasion, threatened to velcro my youngest to the wall during school time. Unfortunately, the fabric store never has enough velcro. I guess all the other homeschool moms beat me to it!:tongue3:

4. SHawk

SHawk New Member

Thanks for both of the suggestion. I may try the running around the house idea. I've done it before with my older kids, but it has been a while, maybe we will try it with a 2 year old. The reason I don't do it while he is napping is kind of selfish-I get a lot of house cleaning during time and if I am going to have any time to myself that is when I get it.
    I've never thought of velcro-I have often wanted to turn the bottom bunk of their bunk beds into a cage, but if anyone ever visited that would not look good. :smilewinkgrin:

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duck tape??

(just kidding!)

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Here ya go!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&sa=X&ei=OTlLTK_sNIP_8Abgx6Ez&ved=0CCgQ9QEwAA

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe these will be a LITTLE more helpful than what we've suggested so far:

See if your local library has books on tape that he can listen to and "read along" like a big kid. My library even has Leap Pads or Story Readers they will let you borrow for a week at a time.

Set up a schedule for him, just change activities more often. Do ten minutes of playdough, 10 minutes playing blocks, etc. He may start asking what his next activity is.

We got a small "jogging" style trampoline to help use up all that extra energy. We use it while doing spelling words, PE, etc. I like the trampoline because they stay in one place while being active.

Make a list of different activities for him to do. Cut the list into small slips of paper and put them in a jar. At a certain time each day, let him pick a slip out of the jar, like:

build a fort with chairs and blankets and camp out for nap time
    color
    leggos
    sidewalk chalk
    finger painting
    tv time
    jump rope
    anything loud he can't normally do during his sibling's school time

Another thing with spelling words--I did it "mother may I" style and let my youngest pretend she was spelling, too. I'd give her really easy words, and soon she was spelling right along with her sister!

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

We found duc tape works.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mother was watching my 5 year old grandson last week.
    He is smart but quite stubborn.
    She said "5 is the new 2".

Rob