1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What to see in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 29, 2005.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

And your choices are....

2. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Oahu recommendations:

Stay on Waikiki Beach (if possible) -- Hilton Hawaiian Village (if your company pays for it [​IMG] ) or try one of the Outrigger hotels.

When you get tired of the beach, rent a car and drive around the island (or take a bus tour)

A few recommended stops:
    - Polynesian Cultural Center (see islanders reenact war dances, rub sticks to create fire, carve tiki figures, etc.)
    - Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona Memorial (they offer a narrated tour)
    - Diamond Head, a 760-foot volcanic cone (worthwhile climb - nice view of Waikiki Beach)
    - Macademia Nut Farms (& take tour) - highly recommended!
    - Dole Plantation
    - Hanauma Bay (amazing snorkeling spot)
    - Sea Life Park (swim with dolphins)
    - . . . parasailing, jetskiing, submarine rides, dinner cruises, etc., etc.

Hawaii is really fantastic. My wife and I had a great time there. It was the most amazing place and vacation we have ever had.

3. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Most everything in Hawaii is fun.

4. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aloha,

I was stationed in Hawaii for 4 years and just left there to be stationed in San Antonio.

Yes, it is beautiful and the weather is awesome most of the time, especially at night when the trade winds are blowing.

IMHO Waikiki is worth seeing once or twice, but it is the most overrated part of the entire state. It is way too crowded, expensive, touristy, wicked, etc... The prettiest part of the island would be the Windward part of the island (OAHU) or the east coast side. The beaches and mountains are just awesome.

Mahalo.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a supporting church on Oahu, and have been there twice. Let me tell you, it can be rough being a missionary! ;)

There is (or at least used to be) a fabulous, cheap flea market at the U. of Hawaii stadium parking lot on Oahu. Great souvenirs, the occasional treasure. [​IMG]

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AF Guy, was your church in Hawaii Koolau BC? Bro. Tom Bowlin, who recently went to Heaven, was a great pastor and a wonderful friend. We miss him.

7. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AF Guy, was your church in Hawaii Koolau BC? Bro. Tom Bowlin, who recently went to Heaven, was a great pastor and a wonderful friend. We miss him. </font>[/QUOTE]No, but they were our sister church and we did things with them all the time. Many of our members had their kids go to their school. I went to Ohana near the airport and I still miss it and Hawaii a little bit as well.

8. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, Kauai is the prettiest island according to most of the folks that have been to all of the islands.

9. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way Waikiki is the most overrated.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost all Baranabas recommended is on the one-day tour. Small mini-van or 20-passenger bus is economical and give a good tour. I'm thinking it was $25 a person and we were not going to rent a car (try parking anywhere near Waikiki) and enjoy a day away from the beach.

Two thumbs up to "amen" Baranabas here.