1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What to tell a pulpit committee

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, May 13, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A man candidates for a church.
    Should some info be be given voluntarily?
    If so, when? On Resume, when speaking to church pulpit committee, ect
    Should some info be withheld?
    Should the church check on certain info?

For example:

Abortion - His wife had one
    Bankruptcy
    Criminal / misdemeanor record
    Driving record
    Divorced - Either or both
    Financial Interest -in a business
    (nothing immoral about business)
    Involvement in other denominations
    Rebellious adult children

Any other major info:

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

My own opinion is that the candidate is obliged to offer full disclosure; and the pulpit committee, as the agent of the church in the matter, has the obligation to fully vet the candidate.

A former church of ours lost an assistant pastor because of some morality issues. A simple background check would have revealed a history of like behaviour.

Besides our old church, I can think of three others that we either attended over the years or that we had friends who attended with similar stories.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The wife having an abortion in the past is none of the church's business. No need to disclose her life history when she's not even the one being hired. If she wants to bring it up in due time, fine, but that should have no bearing on whether or not her husband is called to a church. Same with "rebellious" adult children. Adult children are no longer accountable to their parents unless they are living at home.

Criminal history is something the church should know. Involvement with other denominations probably should be disclosed. I'm not sure about the bankruptcy question. Some questions I know of, like whether or not the wife can play the piano or whether one's children are adopted or bi-racial, to me, don't belong on a candidate's questionnaire. I also do not believe it's necessary for a candidate to be required to submit a recent "family" photo. Why would it matter what the family looks like?

4. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I'll have to disagree. I think a pulpit committee can ask anything including family troubles. If a church will not allow a man to serve because his adult children are rebellious, can you tell me where that is in error according to scripture?

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'd diffently would leave out the part about the driving record----it ain't none of their business!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh: