1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What type of Baptist are you?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Aug 10, 2007.

?
  1. Particular

34 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. General

28 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, we all are but which of these two categories do you fall in?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in the particular category . I believe in specific redemption . So it's definite atonement for me . Most definitely ! Jesus didn't purchase salvation for any individual to whom it will never be applied . General atonement is a widely-held fiction .

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If you are a General Baptist, does that mean you believe in Corporal Punishment? Do you own Private Property?

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You mean the term "Baptist" is too general and not particular enough to describe oneself?

:rolleyes:

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Hey, I will settle for two broad categories. I once heard that there are well over 100 documented types of baptists.
    I couldn't list them all but I don't doubt that it is true!

7. kmichael

kmichael New Member

Ad me to the "P" column.

:wavey:

K

8. Dewey Sturgell

Dewey Sturgell New Member

Im not sure of all the remarks that you have been arm wrestling about ,but put me in my own type some call me the absoluter baptist.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The point is this:
    1. Do you believe that those who are saved are saved because God specifically chose to save them and they believed because God chose them to believe?
    2. Or do you believe that God chose to save them because they chose to accept Christ?

That is the question in this poll.

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

What does it matter?

11. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

I would have to say particular because I do not agree with a lot of the dogma and traditonalisim within the framework of the Baptist Church.
    especially when it comes to disallowing women to serve in positions of leadership for one but that is a different topic all together.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I voted "general" but I am not totally "general" or "particular". I believe in the elect, but they are the ones who heeded to God's calling on their life.....BTW, I believe that God will call ALL on this earth, just not some, but the Elect are the ones who gave their life to the Lord, AFTER HE CALLS THEM. I don't believe any of us could be saved unless God works "with" us first. I have heard some say that you can be saved anytime you want to, but I don't believe this one bit. It's takes God calling you, before you(or us) can be saved. Some don't believe this, but this is the way it happened with me. I hope this doesn't muddy the waters. May God bless!!

Willis

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Willis, you made an acccurate choice then to say general.
    voting general on this thread does not make you a full blown arminian or a pelagian etc.
    It just means that you place the final choice on mans decision. You believe God does not save people irresistibly.

So, thanks for taking the poll and don't feel like you are being pigeonholed into a certain SET of beliefs. THis is just one major one.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I don't quite understand this because particular Baptists are typically especially against women pastors etc.
    You are right that it is a different topic and a particular Baptist might allow such but the two don't usually go together.

15. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Your issue isn't with Baptists, it is with literal acceptance of scripture, AA.

16. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

I suppose then I dont understand what the difference is between the two.

17. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

I accept every word written in the Bible to be the inspired word of God.

however I also know that certan passages of scripture have been misinterpriteed and made a doctrine from ignorance of what the scripture actually teaches concerning women in leadership roles in the Body of Christ.

This overview is important when it comes to the two specific prohibitions against women in leadership (1 Corinthians 14:34-36, 1 Timothy 2:12). In contrast to these two isolated passages, there are hundreds of verses describing Godly women in administrative and teaching roles: Miriam (prophet--there is no distinction between "prophets" and "prophetess" in Hebrew Scripture), Deborah (prophet, judge, military leader), Esther (queen), Hulda (prophet), Noadiah (prophet), Anna (prophet), Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Susanna and "many others" (Christ's disciples), Mary Magdalene (the first evangelist), the daughters of Philip (prophets), Priscilla (teacher), Chloe (house church leader), Mary the mother of John (house church leader), Lydia (house church leader), Nympha of Laodicea (house church leader), Phoebe (deacon, not "deaconess" as translated in the KJV), and Junia (an apostle).
    While Paul's two passages have been distorted by various groups as being "oppressive to women," the general principle is found in his letter to the Galatians 3:28: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave not free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." What a radical concept in a culture that viewed women as "property" of men! And Paul's command for husbands to satisfy their wives sexual needs (1 Corinthians 7:3-5) was shocking even in the early 1900's! In several passages Paul even commends women leaders in other churches!
    But what do we do with those two passages prohibiting women in leadership? At that point in time (circa AD 50-60), place (Corinth and Ephesus) and cultural setting (where women were unable to read), it was appropriate to not allow women to teach.
    But, the over-all principle--throughout the Old and New Testament, is that women have an equal opportunity to serve in whatever area God's Spirit has called them (Joel 2:28-32, Acts 2:17-18).

Therefore my issue is with fallacy of Baptist doctrine not literal acceptance of scripture.

#57 Archeryaddict, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  18. Allan

Allan Active Member

Talk about a person not knowing much about the Historical doctrines of the Church, scrptural hermeneutics, spiritual leadership verses governmental, ext...
    I can go on and on with this. But yes, your issue IS with the literal acceptance of scripture.
    There is to much assuming and presuming about each of these women it astounds me. A prophet is not the same thing as a priest (note there were never any priestess), a Queen was not the same thing as a King, a disciple is not the same thing as a Pastor or Apostle. Note that NOT ONE of the 12 were women. Please go back and read you scripture about Deborah. God did not call Deborah to be a military leader for the command was to Barak But Barak would not go to battle unless she went with him. AND she told him that the glory that would have been his at killing the enemy of God was now given to a woman (the woman who killed that king in her tent). She was not the leader nor the leader of the battle. You seemed to not understand the positional role of a Prophet verses a Priest/Preacher. Also scripture never states that ANY of those women were house Church Leaders. That is pure presumption and wishful inventing, scripture says no such thing. And there has NEVER been a woman Apostle in the Scriptures. Under who's teaching are you learning (notice I didn't ask where you went to church)? It is a sad thing to see. If you have such a blatant disregard for the doctrines of Baptist, I must confess I would ask why then stay amoung them.

Yes women DO have equal opportunity to serve in whatever area God calls them. But God will not call them to the area of Pastorialship/Eldership which was specifically established for man to occupy. IOW - God will not call a woman to any position that contradicts His Word.

#58 Allan, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  19. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

My bad, AA I should have addressed this elsewhere... (even though my statement was correct and Allan, good post). The issue is still not with Baptists per se, but with their literal acceptance of scripture as it stands, without trying to rationalize it out.

My apologies for continuing with this rabbit trail. I will give myself a warning.

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

Agreed Bro. Williams. I will not continue in this derail either and allow the thread to continue on: what type of Baptist are you? :wavey: