1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What version is this from??

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by annsni, Oct 2, 2007.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"For I know the thoughts that i think toward you,saith the Lord,thoughts of peace,and not of evil,to give you an excepted end." Jeremiah 29:11

2. Orion41

Orion41 New Member

I assume you mean expected, not excepted, in which case that could be the KJV, KJVA, KJVR, and Websters that I can see.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Given the point made in the post of Orion41, also this could be from the KJ21. However, it is highly unlikely this could be from the KJV 1611 Edition, but more likely from a later edition, such as the KJV 1762 or KJV 1769 Edition.

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Ignoring the lower case "i", and assuming that "excepted" should be "expected", it reads like the 1769 KJV:

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks everyone! Maybe that's why I couldn't find it. LOL! It was in someone's siggy and I just couldn't place it.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh-kay. I know I am a bit slow on the uptake, at times. So I'll give you my take, if you'll give me yours. The KJ21, I just mentioned, is the abbreviation found on "Bible Gateway" for the 21st Century King James Version, ©1994, Deuel Enterprises, Inc.

Yo' turn! Since I know there are a whole buncha' editions of the KJV, who even knows how many, as the KJV is in the Public Domain, almost everywhere except the United Kingdom, with the result that anyone can print an edition, with some slight and tiny changes that would be usually unnoticed by all but the most meticulous student [Is Jesus our "Savior" or our "Saviour"?, (or does this spelling preference actually matter, in the least?) for one easy example], could you please explain what editions the KJVA and KJVR are abbreviations for?

Thanks,

Ed

7. Orion41

Orion41 New Member

Actually to be honest I don't know. I'll look when I get home tonight. I use the e-sword program for a lot of my Bible study and did a comparison on the verse he mentioned and it listed how the verses were translated with the different translations I've downloaded. The differences are probably slight (none at all here). For that matter Webster's isn't much different from the KJV either.

8. tjfkbrawny

tjfkbrawny New Member

KJV? Or is this a trick question?

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

KJV 1611. Well guys I went and oredered a 1611 KJV Bible. It has the translators forward in the front,the apochryphia in the center ,and all of the side notes made by the translators. It costs 21.99 thru CBD. The only thing not 1611 about it is the letters are all facing the right direction. So now I will know 1st hand what the translators had in mind for each verse since a side note will appear if there is any difference of thought on the verse being translated. Somehow I think if the notes and the forward had been left in the KJV being printed out today there would be no controversy.

10. tjfkbrawny

tjfkbrawny New Member

Now there's a thought, no controversy among the brethren.

11. Orion41

Orion41 New Member

Well I feel silly. The KJVA is King James Version with Apocrypha, and the KJVR is King James Version Red Letter.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I can fairly well assure you the quote is not from a KJV 1611, due to the appearance of spelling, although it is found in the later editions of the KJV, probably including all the editions I have, which I have not bothered to check each and every one. A 'real' 1611 would have the "u" and "v" interchanged, for one thing, and there was no "j" printed, as well, I do not believe. Ed Edwards has posted many quotes from the KJV 1611 on the board, and this cited quote of the verse looks nothing like that.

So, KJV? Yep! KJV1769 & KJV (Bible Gateway- variety unknown) among others.
    KJV 1611? Not a chance.

Ed

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

OK, thanks!

Ed