1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Version

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by jeben, May 5, 2007.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sorry, no habla 'Espanol! :laugh:

Oh yeah! You might wanna' remove the last sentece of your post. Yo' is liable to incur the wrath of a whole group [who think] English was/is the 'superior' language of the entire world, including one that once suggested teaching English to all, especially 'Older English', so they might then be able to understand Scripture better, as opposed to translating from the original languages into the language of the common people, of other languages. :rolleyes:

Ed

Edited by moderator to eliminate inflammatory language. Edit marked with brackets.

#21 EdSutton, May 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

It certainly didn't take very many responses before the last sentence of the OP was totally ignored, did it?

In reply (and staying with the requested guidelines of the OP writer), the majority of folks in my church use the KJV (1769). 'Nuff said. Finito. Bdee-bdee-bdee That's all folks!

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chruch Version

No official "church" version: we don't even have pew bibles (given that there are no pews).

The NIV is used for the kids and given to first time visitors.

Pastor preaches from NAS or NIV, although jumps to other versions as well.

Never heard him use the ESV but another elder uses it.

Rob

#23 Deacon, May 7, 2007
  4. Gayla

Gayla New Member

. . .kjv. . .

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

:laugh: :thumbs: Tambien mi iglesia lo usa solo. Perdon mi Castellano porque aprendo y hablo solamente por 4 semanas. Soy misionero en Argentina

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Are you saying that Greek translates to Spanish better than English? That sounds believable. But what about Hebrew.Even though you were serious you made me laugh.:godisgood:

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Mexdeaf is absolutly right. I am just beginning to use Spanish (or as we say in Argentina Castellano) and I have noticed how much closer the RV is to the original text than any English translation I have read and studied.

Perhaps we should start a RVS movement (Renia Valera Solo) and insist that everybody who does not speak Spanish learn it and that all English translations must be made from the RV (I jest of course!)

I do not know about Hebrew since I really an not that well studied in it, but Greek translates much better.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, the abbreviations that are applicable to the Reina-Valera (properly spelled, as per Mexdeaf) versions are 'RVR' and 'RVA', according to the two versions of it available on 'bible gateway'.

'RV' is the abbbreviation designation for the "Revised Version", an English version of 1881, and the double first cousin, if not the sibling, of the ASV of 1901.

Ed

#28 EdSutton, May 7, 2007
  9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have seen it abriviated RV, this may be incorrect, no se. Using RVA or RVR may avoid confusion. I thought that my old copy of online Bible used RV though for the Reina Valera (Yes I caught the spelling mistake!).

10. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Close, Ed. The RV is more like the daddy of the ASV. The RV (aka the ERV) is the forerunner of the ASV of 1901. Americans on the translation committee differed with their English counterparts in many places. They decided they wanted to release their own version (the ASV) and agreed to wait a minimum number of years (14 I think) before publishing their version of the 1881/1885 RV. Per their agreement, the ASV could have been published in 1900 - probably wasn't quite ready for the presses.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If that be the case, I need to change my screen name to RSVO1960 :)

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our pastor uses the NASB and NIV

#32 webdog, May 7, 2007
  13. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

I read/study mostly from NKJV.

I do have NASB, KJV and NLT as backups. Pew bibles at my church are NIV. :confused:

14. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I see that I reside in lonely splendor as a consistent user of the New Revised Standard Version when I preach. The church I served as pastor and the one where I am now a member have the NRSV in the pews. But of course people use whatever they like.

Slightly off topic ... I have always found it remarkable and, in fact, oppressive, that in the Episcopal Church, as I understand it, there is a requirement as to which Prayer Book version be used, unless an exception is granted by the bishop. Grates against my Baptist freedom bones.

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep the marrow healthy in those Baptist bones! :laugh: :laugh:

16. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church doesn't have pew bibles. I preach from the NIV and NASB primarily. I have preached on occasion from the KJV, NKJV, and ESV.

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My personal study Bible is NASB. The pastor preaches out of ESV and we recently bought pew Bibles that are ESV.

Now Ed, you got edited for inflammatory remarks! my goodness! What were you thinking??? ;)

I laughed outloud at Mexdeaf's superior post! With all the comments we get on versions, it was great!

Joseph, I can't remember the last time I picked up an NRSV. I wonder if we even have one in the MC. We used to, but I just weeded that section and I don't remember seeing one. mmmmmm . . .

18. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought about preaching from the "Cotton Patch Version" (Clarence Jordan's "Translation"). It's real fun to read, but I'm afraid it's not real accurate.

You can read it at this link: http://rockhay.tripod.com/cottonpatch/

19. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor uses the NIV. Many of us use the KJV/NKJV and many others use the NIV/NASB/ESV/HCSB. We have no pew bibles. We are expected to decide the issue for ourselves and give others the same freedom.

20. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the TNIV for pew bibles, and to pass out to those that need a bible. From my perspective the best middle of the road translation going