1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Went Right (and Unreported) With Katrina

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 29, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://dolinar.com/column/politics/superdome.html

Inside (and outside) the Superdome: What went right
    By Lou Dolinar

Remember the dozens, maybe hundreds of rapes, murders, stabbings and deaths from official neglect at the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina? The ones that never happened, as even the national media later admitted?

Sure, we all remember the original reporting, if not the back-pedaling.

Here's another one: Do you remember the dramatic TV footage of National Guard helicopter landings at the Superdome, as soon as Katrina passed, to drop off tens of thousands saved from certain death? The corpsmen running, in an echo of M*A*S*H, with stretchers to carry the survivors to ambulances and the medical center? About how the operation, which also included Coast Guard, regular military units, and local first responders, continued for more than a week?

Me neither. Except that it did happen, and got at best an occasional parenthetical mention in the national media. The National Guard had its headquarters for Katrina, not just a few peacekeeping troops, in what the media was portraying as the pit of Hell. Hell was one of the safest place to be in New Orleans, smelly as it was. The situation was always under control, not surprisingly because the people in control were always there.

SNIP

Still, by focusing on the part of the glass that was half-empty, the national media imposed a near total blackout on the nerve center of what may have been the largest, most successful aerial search and rescue operation in history.

SNIP

Most of the national media also neglected to mention the seven babies that National Guard physicians delivered, something Maj. Ed Bush said he pointed out repeatedly. Overall, the false claims of up to 200 dead at the Dome, including murder victims, had clueless FEMA officials showing up at the end of the week with a refrigerated 18-wheeler to claim the stacks of bodies.

In all this time, Dressler said “We didn't see a single camera crew or reporter on the scene. Maybe someone was there with a cell phone or a digital camera but I didn't see anyone.” This was in the headquarters area. Maj. Ed Bush, meanwhile, did start seeing reporters on Tuesday and Wednesday, but inside the Dome. Most were interested in confirming the stacks of bodies in the freezers, interviews with rape victims, he said, and other mayhem that never happened. He pitched the rescue angle and no one was interested. A few reporters and film crews did hitch rides on helicopters, came back, and produced stories of people stuck on rooftops, not about rescues, he said.

SNIP

The biggest story everyone missed was that the guys in charge--and you're entitled to your own political persuasion here--weren't out-of-touch FEMA bureaucrats, or a president somewhere fund-raising, or a paralyzed governor in Baton Rouge, or mayor hanging out with his crew at a posh hotel a block away.

Except for the Coast Guard's brilliant performance, which saved up to 30,000 lives, most of the rescue operation was run by local National Guard middle management, combat tested in Iraq, accustomed to hardship, intimately familiar with the City (In fact, as I previously reported, Guard members rescued other Guard members, who then reported for flight duty.) The junior officers munched the same vile but adequate rations as everyone else at the Dome. They were struggling to catch a few winks when they could in the garage level under the LZ, with concrete chips raining down on them when the Chinooks landed and rattled the decking.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Thanks!

We need to pray that God continues to protect us from the 'big one' . . . We 'are do' for a really big one soon.

3. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Great post Carpro.

I live on the Coast(Ms/Al) and did not get as much as you listed.

What went right and was unreported?

Well speaking for Mississippians who have been through this many times. Though not to such a scale. We as the Governor said, "hitched" up our britches and went to work. In order to rebuild our homes, schools, and to help others. We appreciated the fantastic help and support we recieved and made no fuss over such.

The greatest thing which has gone unreported is how our Churches, Christians and Faith-based organizations came through. In such a huge manner as none will ever forget. Housing, Feeding, Helping and Comforting those in need. Irrespective of color, race, or faith. This is something you will not get in the national media and continues today. This was the greatest and most significant difference.:thumbs:

Thanks to all the groups who came from other States to help with rebuilding. Giving freely of their time and asking for nothing in return. God Bless!

#3 Ralph III, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2006
  4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Why is it the good doesn't make good news?

I like this post...

5. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Hello LeBuick. I hope you are doing well.:wavey:

Yes I like the post also and wish as you, that much more positive aspects would be covered. But that is sadly not what the news, especially national, wants anymore.

Not to start a political debate with anyone on the board but as an example. Remember when Trent Lott(MS) had to step down as Majority Leader over the "racists" remarks, as was described he made? Well the national media came to his hometown Baptist Church, where I grew up. One of the majors wanted to start some controversy and asked. "Why is there no greater race diversity within your Church?" The Pastor simply answered "Our doors are open to anyone who wishes to come worship the Lord here." This was not the answer they wanted so no story from that aspect.

Now to cheer things up a little. That Church housed and took care of over 150 families after Katrina and for a very long period. They are still involved, as with every other Church, in helping and sheltering those in need. Again, it did not matter race, color, or faith. They simply did what they could do to help those in need.

It was amazing to see Church groups come into people's homes and remove all the debris, sheetrock and insulation. Then another group would come in to replace and rebuild. All for free and out of the kindness of their hearts! This was a major difference for many people.

I myself spent many hours helping relatives rebuild and it was an unbelievable mess! After a period I was finally able to get in touch with some friends, whom were spending their time, making sandwiches and riding around giving them out. As early on there was no real or capable relief effort due to damages etc. We then, nephews/myself, decided to ride around and hand out extra food we had after the end of a day and just say hello/good luck.

Anyhow I do not point this out for myself as many did much more than I. I just wanted to convey the spirit of what actually took place. It was a great thing to see and again we greatly appreciate the hard work and help.

Take care, Ralph

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it is because the media does not consider it in their best interest to broadcast "good news".

By confining themselves to only reporting the bad news about Katrina, they could continually foment racial tensions and anti-government (in this case anti-Bush) sentiment in order to continue their endless news cycle. It kind of feeds off itself once they get it going. Good news fizzles fast.

One thing they are definitely not interested in is the truth, especially if it's good news.