1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would automatically disgualify a candidate

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 10, 2007.

?
  1. DIVORCE

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. HOMOSEXUAL

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  3. LESS THAN A 2 YEAR COLLEGE DEGREE

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. MORMON

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  5. MUSULM

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  6. NON-MILITARY VET

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. PRO-ABORTION

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  8. WOMAN

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  9. other

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  10. none of the above

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I didn't think that you would sign a statement of faith . . . but, I tho't you were generally pro-life; anti-Islam, anti-homosexual, proi-God, and for the American way of life?

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

No candidate will be seriously considered without the consent of AIPAC first.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not one of those who said I would not vote for a woman, but you probably can guess the reason accurately; some cling to the long-defunct ideal that politics should be an all-male business, and in the case of Christians who take the Word seriously, we/they transfer our understanding of biblical tenets arguably out of their scope. But also don't forget how much politics is a game of identification, and many "issues" a candidate stands for are virtually worthless in that nothing will be done or furthered in certain ones [e.g., abortion, school prayer, vegetarianism] but the identification with particular stands on these issues, as well as a candidate's sex, race, religion, et al, definitely are factors-- sometmes in a converse way, as in women who would not vote for women, or voters who find certain ethic groups, accents, or manners 'attractive.' But in the case of women today, I am inclined to believe there are more voters for whom a female candidate's gender will work for her rather than against her.

You seem to be asking that question based on what I said previously-- do we indentify with you sufficiently to vote for you?-- because I don't know your political stands.

As for the 'other' reasons I would disqualify a candidate for my vote... I never vote for any candidate who is running unopposed. While politicians are not honest by the very nature what they're doing, if they break their word and take a stand opposed to my stand, they have almost surely discarded my vote for all-time. Example: I wasn't old enough to vote in '76, but after Carter became President he proposed the Panama Canal Treaty, giving Panama control over the canal, and made a big speech (which was not complete truth) to get the Senate to ratify it. Texas Senator Loyd Bentsen-- who I thought then was acceptably conservative-- said in an interview his mail had been running 8 to 1 against ratification of that treaty, so he was 'inclined' to believe Texans generally opposed it. But when it came up for a vote, he voted for ratification. I did not consider voting for him in his next 2 Senate campaigns.

#23 Alcott, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

So, just how many do we have here? That would

and are
    :thumbs:

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a couple of facts. This country is a representative establishment. So one can say that religion and government should not mix but that can never be, nor should it be, in this type of government.

We have a constitution that forbids the elected government at any present time to establish a national religion. Absolutely nothing more than this. It does not say that if a position happens to be that of a religion then it must be kept out of the governing process. In fact, this would be imposssible. The Holy Bible says thou shalt not steal. Does this then mean that no law should be established concerning stealing? Of course not. Men's religion is what established the constitution and it is what establishes the laws of the land.

So this leaves us with voting for those men who represent our religious views. Every view is religious. Atheist are religious. Religion is about personal convictions and beliefs. If an Athiest "believes" there is no God then that Atheist will pass laws and ammendments that share his religious beliefs just the same as the Christian or Muslim will.

This is why we ask the canidates about their beliefs. If their beliefs are not shared by our beliefs then we can reject them. Every voter is going to vote for the canidate who best shares their own religion or beliefs.

So yes every issue is applicable to electing a representative. For a Christian every issue should be judged according to the Word of God for we are ambassadors for Christ. We represent Jesus Christ in all we do here as Christians (including voting). If we were to ask another person to represent us in our government then we should require of them morals that are representative of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Is the canidate a Christian? God's word tells Christians not to be unequally yoked together with nonbelievers. Asking a man to represent you in government by your vote is yoking up!

Is the canidate pro-abortion (fancy name for murder) ? God's word tells a Christian not to murder. Why would a Christian vote for a person who votes to give another person the right to murder an innocent child?

Someone posted that abortion rights should not matter or be an issue. Then why should stealing matter or the murder of anyone matter? Why should there be any laws that coinside with what the Bible says is right and wrong? This simply makes no sense.

When we vote, one of the duties of the person we are voting for is to represent us in law making and appointing judges that will uphold the original intent of this country's constitution. So, as a Christian, it is very important that we vote according to the precepts of God's Word.

God Bless!

#25 steaver, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Martin, Martin, Martin..... I am sooooooooooo disappointed by your answers!

7. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Not that I favor Obama, nor a muslim candidate, but how is someone half of any religion? I realize Obama had a muslim parent, but barring his own involvment in islam, to claim he is anyway muslim would be the same falicy that has many people believing they were born Christian.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a completely idle question, and I didn't say that I wouldn't.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, to make Daisy and you happy since I consider you brethren in Christ, I take back the half-Muslim jab, and replace it with "somebody whose other parent is Muslim".

10. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

You are attempting to derail this thread. Please stick to the OP!

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If I was attempting to derail the thread, I would change my avatar to a chihuahua and play the liberal card.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Now back to the OP posted on a Baptist Thread . . .

Why aren't Christians offended by the terrible lack of moral courage and integrity that our politicians show today?

Bush would not have had a chance against FDR, Roosevelt, Eisenhower . . .

Clinton would have been voted out of office in the 70's just like his cheating predecessor was . . .

What has happened to godly morality in our country? Have we become so enamored with the liberal agenda of Hollywood that we are buying into their liberalism and evil?

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Very good post. One of problems we as Christians are going to have in 2008 is going to be a nightmare race like Clinton or Obama vs Guliuani or McCain or Romney. Will we as Christians abandon our principles and vote for one of these liberal Republicans to keep Clinton or Obama from winning, or will we look at them as pretty much the same and cast our votes with a truly conservative and moral third party? Does that do more damage because a vote for a third party vote is like a vote for the Democrats? My inclination is to vote for the third party, because there is not much difference any more between the two. The Republicans have squandered their trust of the Christians in America, and in a sense, deserve to lose the White House. In other words, I cannot see voting for a pro abortionist just to keep Clinton or Obama from winning. One day, we will give account for our votes.

The quality of the candidates has become so low, as those recent past few Presidents that you mention, that Richard Nixon looks like a saint compared to them. Even John Kennedy had a quality they do not. By the way, who is the predecessor to Clinton you are talking about? Anyway, good post.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Disqualifiers:

Divorce: No, unless one is a "serial divorcer."
    Homosexual: Very Likely.
    Less than 2 year college degree: Definitely. I believe a president should have at least a Bachelor's and I'd prefer an advanced degree. However, many of the presidents who were less than stellar (Wilson, Clinton, Nixon, Ford, Bush 43) have all had advanced degrees.
    Mormon: Perhaps
    Muslim: Very likely
    NON-MILITARY VET: No.
    PRO-ABORTION: Definitely
    WOMAN: No.

15. johnk48

johnk48 New Member

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is anything that would disquaify a candidate in America today, certainly not moral issues.

One would be disqualified from receiving my vote if they were homosexual or supported that agenda, if they were Muslim or supported the radical Muslim agenda, if they were pro-abortion, if their behavior continued to reveal they did not honor traditional marriage and were not of a "onewoman or one man" mind-set, if their worldview was not God-centered, or their behavior revealed they were not lovers of God.
    Our government may not stipulate "Christians only" for our leaders, but that's the baseline to move my vote in their direction and then behavior and voting record fill in the blanks.

I believe we Christians ought to prefer Christians as our leaders as our Founders and Scripture encourages us to do. Anything less will eventually ruin the good in America.

16. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

The constitution does not permit any religious test as a qualification for any public office. I notice that being a Muslim or Mormon is part of this poll, but being Jewish is not. If you are basing your perspective solely on the religious faith of the candidate, and it is Christian vs. Non-Christian in your mind on the issues, Jews would fall into the same category as Muslims or Mormons, wouldn't they?

As far as pro-abortion vs. pro-life, I'm looking for more than lip service. I see no difference between candidates who put a pro-abortion plank in their platform, and those who babble about being pro-life but are never put in a position where they ever have to live up to that expectation. As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as a pro-life politician. They either support abortion, or they sit there and allow it to continue. More abortions are now performed in this country in a year than at any other time in our history. Politicians who claim to be pro-life are liars, and in my book that makes them worse than those who openly support the practice.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

#37 Salty, Feb 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2007
  18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I see is that Christians put their party 1st, above the Word of God. As of right now, there is no anounced running canadates worthy of a Christian's vote in either party.

God Bless!

19. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

So you plan not to vote?

I am a Democrat who will probably vote a straight ticket.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe it is the God given right and obligation to vote. I will vote even if there is not a canadate on the ballot that measures up to God's Word. This is why there is a space for "write ins".

I am a Christian obligated to represent Jesus Christ first and foremost. I happen to be registered as a Republican. I did not pick Republican for any particular reason at the time accept for the fact that the Democrats as a majority embraced the murder of babies and I found that very repulsive as a child of God.

God Bless!