1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would Paul Samuelson think today?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Bob Alkire, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Paul Samuelson said in the 1770's, "Political freedom from the tyranny of monarchy was closely related to emancipation of free market pricing from the interfering hand of state regulations."

What would he think today?

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe he would like what is going on currently.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I believe you are correct. To many interfering hands from goverment.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

You all are happy with the statistical division of wealth?

What change do you all think would skew the wealth curve back towards the center?

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't think it was ever in the center. Read about how many put their wealth into this country from the start. Harder working folks seem to make more money.

In my life time things have gone up for the working person. I recall when we didn't have indoor pluming or electricity, we would sleep out on the back porch because it was to hot to sleep inside.

The big difference I see today is that most of new wealth does not put back into the country as older wealth has.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

>Read about how many put their wealth into this country from the start.

They stole land from the Indian People and imported slaves to work it. Slavery was tried in the north but it was cheaper to hire poor whites and let them starve in the winter when there was no contracts for the mills.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Very true, many of the wealthy put every thing they had into this country. Look at what Mrs. Madison had left at the end of her life, nothing.

Many white were here under servitude, in hopes of getting their freedom.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

History book I read claimed that the very large plantation owners staked hugh claims into the "western lands" that they proposed to sell to new settlers. During the French & Indian War King George wanted to limit contact between the Brits and the French and issued an order forbidding the Brits to go into the western lands. This deprived the the already rich land owners of further riches and thus precipitated the Revolution. It always was money trail, never freedom.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

This comes from someone who said earlier it's right to take money from wealthier folks because they don't "need" it.

Seems I remember some countries that tried that approach. Doesn't work.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Let's face up to it. Everyone will always be subservient to the rich. Whether they pay you a sum for services rendered or by personal ownership somebody with power and money will always rule over you. The only way out of the control of the rich and powerful is to find a spot in the wilderness apart from civilization. Now with the modes of transportation and the dwindling desert places the places to run to are few and far between. :BangHead: