1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would you do if God had no power over you?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 12, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Have you ever thought about this?
    Imagine God exists but God has no power over you. He cannot send you to hell and you also won't die. If you want to you can simply live on this planet forever.
    Would you still try to obey God and ask him for forgiveness every time you sin or would you sooner or later become tired of this and simply tell God to leave you alone and then do your own thing?
    Aren't we often motivated simply by fear of punishment? Sometimes all this asking for forgiveness really gets on my nerves because not every time when I ask for forgiveness I really feel sorry. Sometimes I simply do it because I'm scared that if I don't do it God will punish me. For example I don't always feel terrible when I have a sinful thought and then fall on my knees and beg for forgiveness. Such things simply happen and I'm used to it, this means that when this happens I don't feel totally sorry all of a sudden. But when I simply say "God please forgive me" without feeling anything then it's like an automatism. :confused:
    Do you always feel totally sad when you sin no matter what sin it is? Or are there sins which you register but which don't make you feel totally sad?

I don't know but somehow there is a dissonance. The fact that God also has so much power and that he could punish you makes it hard to not fear him but when you fear him then how can you feel well when you're in heaven? I'm not scared of my father. If I was scared of my father then most likely I would avoid him and try not to make him angry. I would rather sit in my room all day and not even talk to him. Do you know what I mean? But what do you do when you're scared of God who is much more powerful than your own father? :(

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am sorry xdisciplex,

While some of your questions are thought provoking<sp>, some of them lead me to think you really need to find a good Bible Teaching Church to be part of.

Jamie

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How can a born again child of God say that asking forgiveness get's on his nerves? :tear:
    I would think sinning against a Holy God would get on his nerves more.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.

I have thought about that many years ago and was terrified at the thought of God not letting me die. I do not want to live on this planet forever. God made provisions for Adam and Eve to die after they ate of the tree. He took them away from the other tree, the tree of life, so that they wouldn't live forever on this planet, unable to die and unable to be with God in His Heaven. He allowed them to die because this world is not home for the children of God.

While I love God's beautiful creation and am in awe of His Creative Genius, here are the reasons that I do not want to live forever on this planet.
    • People that I love die.
    • People that I love get hurt and suffer.
    • Those in power abuse those who have no power.
    • Mankind, in his politics, has butchered every good intent ever sincerely attempted and turns to evil continually.
    • Evil reigns here.
    • Humanity has turned it's back on God and our children will pay the price for it.
    Why pretend that we are having a conversation about what we might do?

People, including christians, do this everyday. And if they say that they don't ever ignore God's word and calling, then they are lying.

People have been telling God since the days of the garden to leave them alone.

People, including christians, have been doing their own thing for countless ages.

People who don't understand the grace, mercy, love, and compassion of God are often ruled by fear.

Christians who are bound by legalism are often ruled by fear. Christians who want no governance from God often come to a point where fear overtakes them.

But here is the truth of the matter. Fear of God means respect for Him.

How can we be ruled by a fear of punishment from God when He allowed His Son to be humilated and degraded and tortured on a cross so that we could be in His presence someday.

God loves us and the devil wants you to believe that God only wants to manipulate you.

The devil has sorely confused and ruined the witness of many christians by making them think that God doesn't love them anymore because of sin in their lives.

That's legalism at it's extreme.

That isn't repentance. Being sorry that you got caught isn't being remorseful that you did it in the first place enough to appeal to God's mercy and allow Him to pick you up and help you to start over.

If you don't feel sorry about your sin, then the very least that you need to pray for is a burden to feel true repentance. Sometimes you just need to say, "God, I know this was wrong and I am so embarrassed to tell you that because of my pride, I don't feel sorry. Please help me to see how this has affected my life negatively and to have a burden for my sin so that I can come to you again and repent as I should."

Of course, when confessing sin to God, you aren't always going to feel sad.

Sometimes I feel anger at myself for doing something that I swore I would never do again.

Sometimes I am embarrassed to have to talk to God about something that He and I have already talked over many times.

Sometimes what I feel is frustration for still hanging on to emotions that are making me sin in the first place.

Sin should make you feel a lot of thing, but xdisciplex, one thing it shouldn't make you feel is irritated with God. You said that confessing sin got on your nerves.

What if God said, "Those people are on my nerves again, I'm not passing out any forgiveness today."

How ludicrous of a thought.

I'm grateful that God has all the power and that He is in control of everything. I'm grateful that He loves me enough to chasten me. I don't fear that side of God at all! And the thought of being in Heaven with a loving God who loved me enough to chasten me here on earth so that I could be justified in Heaven and live with a perfect God for eternity makes me very happy.

We would all feel that way about any other human.

• Tell God that your emotions are all fouled up and that you are afraid and want to experience of peace of Jesus Christ in your life.
    • Read the bible every single day and commit passages of peace and comfort to memory.
    • Pray to God every day about everything. Talk to Him more than just about "help me" and "forgive me". Talk to Him about the "thank-you's" and the "praise you's" and the "I love you's".
    • Spend time in private worship every day.
    • Spend time weekly with other bible-believing christians.
    • Make God, Almighty your God and not your prisoner keeper.

5. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Spoiled fruit. Inspection complete.

6. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But what shall I do? I don't even know what God thinks about me. I have no clue wether he's angry or disappointed or unsatisfied with me. I'm not satisfied with myself and then I feel as if God is up there slowly becoming impatient with me because I'm not making progress and then I become scared of what he might do then. How can I not become scared? God can also become angry. He became angry in the bible, too. Just because Jesus died doesn't mean that he doesn't get angry anymore. Just look at the parable with the lazy servant. The master also got very angry with him. This means that God can also become very angry with me.
    It's always the same. When I think I messed up then I feel bad and think that God is angry or disappointed and on days where I think I did well I feel good and think that God is happy. Isn't this stupid? But this is how it is.

Yes, sometimes it really gets on my nerves because it becomes so annoying to ask for forgiveness again and again. Let's say I have 5 sinful thoughts in 1 minute then I ask for forgiveness every few seconds and this really becomes annoying and in the end you're simply repeating something like "God forgive me for having such a thought" in your mind and that's it but you don't feel bad or guilty anymore simply because you don't feel bad whenever you have a sinful thought.
    I recognize these thoughts but this doesn't mean that they make me feel totally bad and guilty.
    But then I ask myself if I can even ask for forgiveness when I don't feel bad and then I think that I have to make myself feel bad to be able to really ask for forgiveness and sometimes I don't know if I really feel bad enough to sincerely ask for forgiveness or not because if I ask for forgiveness and don't really mean it then it also might not work. But how do I know if I really mean it and not just say it? In order to know that I really mean it I have to feel bad but what do I do if I don't feel bad again or if I have already become desensitized to this sin and don't even feel bad anymore because it happens all the time? Does God have to forgive me if I don't feel bad enough or don't mean it? Then I cannot feel safe even after asking for forgiveness because I can still fear that it might not have worked and God didn't forgive me because I wasn't sincere enough.... :(
    I also don't know if we have to directly ask for forgiveness for everything or not. What happens if I have a sinful thought and don't ask for forgiveness?
    This becomes so frustrating and sometimes this makes me feel so rebellious. For example when you tell somebody all the time how bad he is then one day he will simply become rebellious and not care anymore and this is how I sometimes feel. :(
    It's also not very liberating. As a christian you're still concerned with things. I think it's not really freedom when you have to worry about asking for forgiveness all the time when you sin. Let's say somebody argues with you and you become angry and you get one angry thought after the other then what do you do? Do you ask for forgiveness for every single thought you have? Maybe I'm also overdoing this, I don't know.
    Maybe you can also simply ask for forgiveness at the end of the day for everything you did wrong, I don't know. I don't know I feel bad most of the time. Always feeling bad also doesn't help me. You don't really have much freedom as a christian because when you don't do spiritual exercises such as praying and reading the bible you also feel guilty and you also have to be scared of being left behind. Sometimes I think about it and ask myself where the difference between christianity and other religions is. I mean christians claim to be free and not religious at all but when I look at myself then I'm also not free.

#6 xdisciplex, Nov 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2006
  7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Amazing sure instinct.

8. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

xdx, you are having a bad day. Leave the forum for a while. You are asking hypothetical questions and providing hypothetical answers instead of simply relying upon the word of God and what Believers in this forum attempt to share with you about his word. If it isn't too cold out, go for a walk. Talk to someone you can trust to be honest and straightforward with you. Debating hypotheticals is a waste of your time. The bible is not hypothetical. Learn to love it. For right now, turn the computer off. Go to bed. God's love for you is constant. You have nothing to be afraid of. :flower:

9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi.
    Yes, I'm in fact having a bad day. But I have such days all the time. It's simply so frustrating. I wish I had someone in real life to discuss those things then I wouldn't be forced to sit in front of the computer all day ruining my eyes. :(

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

xdisciple,

Do you not have a pastor you can turn too? I don't know Germany that well, do you have a church you attend regularly?

If not, then maybe someone on the board knows someone in missions in that area that they might be able to point you to someone.

You really do need someone or a group of people to talk to when you're a new Christian.

If you don't have a church, I will ask my pastor if he knows of anyone that might be able to help you.

Jamie

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Jaimie,

Oh how many times that I have asked those questions . . . it is good to hear others do the same!

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

you must learn to rely upon God's promises and realize that if you believe in Jesus as your Substitute, then what God thinks of Jesus is what matters... because Jesus stands in your place.

when I was having problems with this and prayed very much about it at a campmeeting I attended, that night I had a dream. I was there on an I.D. Card and my face was hung down in shame at my sins... Then I looked up again and Jesus's picture was there in my place... and He was perfect...