1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Would You Do If You Knew....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Dec 21, 2011.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....that He was coming in the next 24 hours, or, that you would be standing before Him?

Let's say, for the sake of argument (I know, and so do you, that no one knows the day or hour) that somehow you knew without a shadow of doubt, that within the next 24 hours either you'd die, or he was coming again. And, for the sake of argument, you had no physical limitations (like lying in a hospital bed hooked up to tubes and other life-saving stuff), how you spend the next 24 hours? :type:

1 Thessalonians 5:1-3 tells us Jesus will return like, "a thief in the night!" which makes me wonder if we are truly living life and treating others with that thought of anticipation in mind! :flower:

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....that He was coming in the next 24 hours, or, that you would be standing before Him?

I'd be like an excited child opening Christmas Presents.

Then, I'd probably become frightened as those 24 hours slipped away. Why do I say that? I don't know. I guess it's just the fear of stepping into an arena I'm really unfamiliar with. Life, in the human body is all I know about right now. That's all I can identify with.

3. marke

marke New Member

As we grow in the Lord we come to realize more of what the Lord was talking about when he said "Walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh." Enoch walked with God. Jesus told Peter, "...He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit..." (John 13:10)

Christians are perfect inside and out, except for our daily walk with God. We have to develop our prayer life in asking for our daily bread and deliverence from sin. God brings us through suffering so that our faith will increase and we will learn to trust Him and communicate with Him in all things. That is what walking with God is all about - praying and trusting God for all things.

I told a friend of mine recently that I was reminded of the movie "Princess Bride" where the hero told of being held by the 'Dread Pirate Roberts' who told him each new day, "I'll kill you tomorrow, but not today". I told my friend (I have been having health problems and am constantly aware of the fragility of life), "I wake up each day and realize God is still putting off taking me in death, so I will try to live for Him again today, as if it is my last day on earth."

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Experience the full range of emotions from sadness at those who'll be left on rooftops, to joy to seeing Him and sitting at His feet, to fear of seeing His disappointment in me, to gladness at seeing those who've gone before me.

What I'd physically do, I don't know. Other than pray and ask the Holy Spirit to lead and guide me, that day, same as every other day. One thought is to read the Bible. Read again all the mysteries that will soon be revealed. Read again about all the promises that will be kept. And, to share that reading with all who will listen.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

RD2-----if its OK to say----Jesus coming as "a thief in the night"----I'd leave the door unlocked and let the thief come in and take me with Him!!!:wavey:

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Like martin Luthor, who was believed to have stated that he would just go out to hoe his garden, as that was his daily practice!

#6 JesusFan, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I might write a letter to all my unsaved friends and family, telling them I love them and how they can get to heaven (no matter how many times they've heard it before.)

Physically, I'd try to find homes for my pets and I would clean my house top to bottom. I have a thing about leaving this earth with a clean house behind me. . .:laugh:

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is How I Feel At Times About Dying....

Thanks for putting it in an honest perspective. I think a lot of us have a certain amount of anxiety about what you have wrapped your head around and posted in this comment.

I often wonder what it will be like the first hours and days in heaven. As long as it isn't like my first few days in the Army (getting my clothes and shots, etc.) it may not be bad... LOL

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love that thought...

....I would venture to say that I too would leave the door to my heart and soul unlocked (at all times) so He could come and take me to where it is we are going to be.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I'd take off work!

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I Weren't Retired....

....I'd do the same :laugh:

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ask my doctor to give me something to knock me out for 23 hours and 59 minutes so I'd not have to look at this world a second longer than need be.

13. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

It's impossible to know just what one would do in any situation until that situation arises. I can speculate that I would be SO happy about it that the excitement would be too much to keep to myself.

Many people (including a lot of those claiming to be Christians) are in no hurry to leave this world, but for me it would be a glorious day! I long to see Jesus and to be out of the presence of sin and to be rid of this sin nature. I also long to be where there will be no more pain, sickness or suffering of any kind. How can anyone NOT want that?