1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree Marcia. And that's another thing that has bothered me for some time. There have been a few teachers in the last year that teach doctrines contrary to Baptist doctrine, like baptismal regeneration. (He has left the church) I don't understand why it's been allowed.

Now that I'm talking about all this, it seem like there has been more bothering me than I have been willing to admit. I am going to have to make some decisions I think.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hi Amy, I think you have enough info and input to make a decision on your own. I spiritually support whatever decision you make.

In regards to the person teaching nonbaptist doctrine, that should be a no-no. WHen a person agrees to teach a baptist class, s/he should agree to adhere strictly to the Baptist Distinctives as a matter of doctrinal teaching.

3. Josh the Baptist

Site Supporter

What would you do if you found books in your church library that were written by know false teachers?

I found books by these authors:

Benny Hinn

Joyce Meyer

Kenneth Hagin

The subject of each of these books was the Holy Spirit.

I would bring it to the attention of the pastor. If for some reason he thought these were good books by legitimate authors, I would look for a new church home.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a tiny "library" at church and people sometimes donate books by just placing them on the shelves. No one is in charge of it, it's just there. One day I found an Oral Roberts Bible had been donated. It was FULL of his views as commentary, and autographed by Oral Roberts. I promptly tossed it in the trash can, and informed my dh in case anyone questioned what had happened to it.

While I hated to throw away God's word, I felt it had been contaminated with false teaching in this case, and needed to go.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was this before, OR after, God "threatened" to kill him???:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If church members are not well grounded in Scripture, the local church needs to take a serious look at its Bible studies and discipleship.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, I didn't read enough of it to find out! :laugh:

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The purpose of the book makes all the difference. For example, I just finished a course in religions of the world. When finished, I gave the book to the church library as a reference to anyone interested in other faiths. It is a fact book. There is nothing in the book that suggests what to believe.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ole Oral wasn't really worried. He would just lay hands on his own forehead, shout HEAL, and voila, good as new.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO! The way to be able to discern a counterfeit dollar bill is to study in detail a real dollar bill. Then the errors of other writers (imo they ALL have some errors, some more than others, like churches) can be ignored and any good articulations of truth the books may contain can be gleaned.

But, on the other hand, I must admit there is a cutoff point to what I would tolerate in the library. I know nothing of the writings of the authors mentioned; you may well be justified to cull them.

#30 kyredneck, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
  11. donnA

donnA Active Member

If I were the one appointed to tend the library I'd remove them, if not I would straight to the pastor.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree, stand your ground, but be prepared for possible fall out from making a stand. been there done that, it wasn't pretty and in the end I stood alone against fall teachings like these.

I certainly would.

you would think so wouldn't you, just wish all churches saw it that way. I've seen some real non baptist junk taught, and no finding any problem with it.

#32 donnA, Aug 20, 2009
  13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Great conversation in this thread! :D

My view is that its a church library, not a public library, censorship of some materials is the least we can do for some in our flock. Not everyone attending our churches has a strong background in doctrine or baptist teaching. They might pick up something like this and read it and begin a dangerous path.

Of course this is for extreme views. Our library has books of many authors with differing, but orthodox, views sitting next to each other. The other day I was wandering around in there and saw Millard Erickson's theology sitting next to Wayne Grudem's theology sitting next to James Leo Garrett's theology. That's a wide range of viewpoints, but all are good for reading and learning. :D

In our churches we have an obligation to protect those around us who might otherwise not know the difference between good teaching and false teaching. :)

14. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only this, but if we have time to read at all, why not fill our minds with the truth, not waste time trying to sift though a pile of junk to glean a few truths?

15. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaa-Men!!

This way of thinking has caused me to do only Bible studies in Sunday School. I even avoid topical Bible studies, since it's too easy to pull proof texts out of context.

So we work through a book of the Bible and somehow -- Gasp! -- we address all sorts of issues.

We have plenty of poor to downright awful books in our Librray, but I have learned to pick my battles.

The biggest problem is lack of Bible literacy. When we take a stand that "Breath prayers" are unbiblical, very often the reaction is blank stares:

"Isn't prayer a good thing?"

Our Pastor used the Nooma series last fall for Wednesday night "Bible" study. Sorry, but Rob Bell is as whacked out as can be, and I don't care what Big Name Publisher or Big Name Celebrity Christian endorses him -- and neither should the church care.

But we do...:tear:

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm all for this! I think this is what Christians need more of.

I know what you mean.

So glad to see someone is saying don't study Rob Bell's material! I've read Velvet Elvis and it has many unbiblical statements. Some are indirect but they are there. I've views many of the Nooma films as well. In one of them, he says that Jesus believes in us, and that when Peter was sinking on the water, it was because he didn't have faith in himself!

#36 Marcia, Aug 20, 2009
  17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You're seeing several things that are problematic and need to be addressed and you are realizing the magnitude of it. Sometimes it takes awhile for this to happen because we don't want to see bad stuff or teachings in our church or we haven't sat down and thought about it all. Now you are seeing it and I am guessing that the Holy Spirit might be convicting you to do something about it. When the Holy Spirit does that, you can't not act - or it's painful not to! I've been there.

I agree with what someone said that you need to choose your battles, but in the cases you mentioned, these are things crying out for a need to address them. No matter what the reaction, I think you will be doing the right thing to go to the pastor or appropriate person or both.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok guys, what are breath prayers? I've never heard of that one.

Marcia, I think you're right about the Holy Spirit convicting me. I have to do something. And it hurts to finally face all this. I should have addressed it long ago.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They're prayers I make after 10 minutes on the stair master.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

After 10 minutes it would be more like gasps for me! :laugh: