1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Aug 19, 2009.

1. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Oh no.... I can't stop myself!!:type:

:laugh:

Anyway, breath prayers, centering prayer, and various other "methods" of "spiritual formation" are the current rage/fad sweeping through gullible evangelicalism.

It's the hobby horse of a certain well-placed member of my church, and when I try to counter the introduction of this material, I'm "causing division."

The reality is all this "spiritual formation" nonsense is warm over, upchucked 1970 Transcendental Meditation. There's nothing "ancient" about it (though Richard Foster and Dallas Willard will assert otherwise).

It's self-centered, me-focused gnosticism, based on the flawed, un-Biblical premise that all *I* need to do is disconnect from all the busy-ness of life and let the spirit of God which dwells within me come to the fore.

I could write pages on this stuff, but the response I get in my own church from people who should know better fall in three very predictable camps:

1) Anything that promotes "spirituality" is good
    2) How dare you question how another approaches God?
    3) Why is this important?

I fall into a slightly narrower camp: That the Gospel is Jesus and Him crucified, and that our relationship to God is by, and of, the finished work of Christ.

But that's soooo propositional. I need to get with the times...:BangHead:

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would check them all out...and then conveniently forget to bring them back ;)

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Sounds like vain repetition to me.

4. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

What does?

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure you're not talking about CCM?

6. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Help me out here, big fella...

What is CCM?

(To me it's a Canadian manufacturer of hockey gear...)

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL,, contemporary christian music

8. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

Sorry, but isn't the Church in the censorship business? Christ and His apostles certainly were.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the Founders site, ministers who want to "Reform" their Baptist churches are advised to, among many other things, use a carefully screened book table to introduce people to Presbyterian and Reformed authors.

10. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Ohhhh....

Well, I happen to like some Contemporary stuff!

:saint:

Jars of clay, DC Talk, Chris Rice....:thumbsup:

11. Thermodynamics

As a general rule I am against any kind of censorship of books. I often read books that I don't agree with because I want to know what the other side of a debate is thinking. I have a number of books in my home library that I would not suggest to another person unless I was sure that they were well grounded.

However, when it comes to a church library I think it is a different matter. I'd hate for some new Christian to come along, read such a book and take it to heart. I think a church has a great responsibility to be sure that the books in it's library are Biblical. Anything that is not should be disposed of.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Leaving a book like this in a library to some will be an endorsement of the author, then you have new christians come in the library and theres these false teachers being endorsed by the church.

13. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Exactly.

The Church is not a "Free market of ideas."

It is the Body of Christ and the Shepherds/Overseers have responsibilities to guard the flock.

14. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive me for asking, while I didn't recognize three of those names mentioned, I did recognize Benny Hinn. I've never really watched any of his shows on TV, but someone I knew went to one of his events about 14 years ago.

What kind of false things does he preach?

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

He taught that both the Father and the Holy Spirit also have bodies--eyes, hands, etc. That the Trinity is actually nine persons--that each of the persons of the Godhead is a trinity. He now says it was a joke.

He has taught that Adam flew to the moon.

He has taught that Jesus had to be born again because he took on the sin nature of Satan on the cross. It's part of the "Jesus died spiritually" heresy. This view is that Jesus' shed blood was insufficient for the redemption of man; He had to suffer at Satan's hands in Hell and be born again as the first man to conquer death. Hinn also teaches this heresy: "He [Jesus] who is righteous by choice said, 'The only way I can stop sin is by Me becoming it. I can't just stop it by letting it touch Me; I and it must become one.' Hear this! He who is the nature of God became the nature of Satan where He became sin!" (Source: Biblical Discernment Ministries)

He is a false prophet. In 1989, Hinn said the Spirit had told him Fidel Castro would die in the 1990s.

He also prophesied that all American homosexuals would be destroyed by fire no later than 1995.

Want more? Google.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

To add a little to Tom's post, Kenneth Hagin is the father of all of this heresy. He was the teacher to Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, and many others in the Word/Faith movement.

Go to You Tube and enter Hagin's name and watch their heretical "revivals" and see people barking like dogs, laughing uncontrollably, speaking in gibberish, falling out of their chairs like they're too drunk to sit up, rolling on the floor, all in the name of the Holy Spirit.

It's sickening.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Was looking for something good to read in the church library Sunday, and guess what I found, Benny Hinn, I went back and told my husband about this thread, and laughed, I guess now it's my turn to take my own advice, he did too,, so I emailed the pastor and told him it was there. we shall see what happens.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Donna, I'm so sorry to hear that. I guess it's everywhere. So sad.

I talked to my SS teacher yesterday and took him several books that I found. I found out that he has been working with the pastor to try and solve this problem (with the person who is spreading these teachings in our church). Although, he didn't think the pastor was aware of the books.
    He told me he would take care of it. I had been so upset about it all week that when he said he would take care of it, I just burst into tears. We ended up spending the whole hour talking it all out and me being comforted by my classmates. They were really wonderful and agreed wholeheartedly with me.

I will wait and see what happens. I need to let God work now and not interfere.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sadly it is, there is very little discernemnt going on in the church today.
    glad you have such a good Su sh class, and people in church who care about false teachings.
    Our pastor is relatively new so I'm sure he probably doesn't know the book is there or who believes that kind of stuff. Hope they aren't someone whose teaching a class.
    If I have time Wednesday I'm going to look and see if there are more, but this was the only Hinn book. I'm not the kind to just leave it and say or do nothing.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Now I'm wondering if this would be stealing, no I'm honestly wondering now that I've found them in my church too.