1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would you say about this?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I hope I haven't broken any rules here. I left the person out and the web site out so they might remain anonymous. Anyone who does a Google search will no doubt find out where this quote came from.

I believe it is a very good Christian perspective in the area of debates and admire and respect the rights of others to make these stipulations, but what do ye think?

2. LorenB

LorenB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't often post but I love reading the debate. It does get a little heated at times but is most often overshadowed by some great argumentation. We have great moderators who rein in what goes over the top. Please don't stop the debate.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is a big difference between honest debate, jabs, and the like and pure meanness, hijacking threads, questioning people's salvation because of a disagreement, asking them questions like they are lost etc. You can debate and maintain respect. Also, I mention no names. If you want to find out who they are, go to any Calvin or emergent church thread, and it becomes quite apparant.

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hi Salamander,

I've not been around much lately....mainly because I get too wrapped up in 'the debate'....whatever it may be at the moment. :)

I'm not too sure that a site can ban all debate without squashing discussion....I've seen it tried and it ends up being a site where people mainly say "hi, how are ya" and move on - or the mods are doing much of the posting while the rest are doing alot of reading of very good stuff - but not much commenting.

However, I think many of us (me included) need to let the Holy Spirit tell us when to move on from a discussion.....perhaps we should learn how to just let it go rather than having to rely on our wonderful moderators to tell us to 'shut up'.

All in all I think there is room for both types....and I applaude them for taking a stand.

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we all need to lean how to disagree without appearing nasty. A few years back I was in a Sunday school class and something was being taught that was absolutely not true, I aggressively jumped all over what was said while going to scripture to prove the point. Although I was right, and it was obvious, my behavior was ugly, and even though some people came up after the class telling me I was 100% correct I still felt ashamed of overreacting on my much loved brother/Pastor. I apologized to him later and he agreed with me that my behavior came across very overaggressive, (made a comment of me appearing as a rabid dog) that comment always comes to mind now before I speak as I try to imagine myself in a mirror. I reflect on this:

(Ecc 8:1) Who is as the wise man? and who knoweth the interpretation of a thing? a man's wisdom maketh his face to shine, and the boldness of his face shall be changed.

On another note, I moderate a Christian perspective section and defend the faith on a board that is filled with Atheist and although things get hot I generally put more effort to refrain myself there than here to set a needed example. I do think the debates can easily be more intense in the Christian format, for me, as I care more when coming into conflict with a brother when it seems it can’t be resolved; and I more expect these things not being resolved against the Atheist and I’m not surprised that they are not willing to let up on childish antics nor are they willing to forgive; so I just forgive them and they stay mad. The difference is, I expect not only to forgive but to be forgiven from my brothers and if not it saddens me.

Another difference, the Christian board can be lonely feeling at times but the secular board I moderate doesn’t ever have but an inkling of fellowship.

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Thanks for the replies.

The reason I posted this is due mainly to what usually transpires in a debate: misundertandings of what people mean and accusations in return.

Good responses and the expected Christian replies!