1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's a good way to describe WHAT being saved is...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by IdahoLabs, May 19, 2004.

1. IdahoLabs

IdahoLabs New Member

in one short sentence?

Any ideas?

==========
    A Good Reputation:
    Hard to Get
    Difficult to Maintain
    Easy to Lose

2. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Well, that would usually be something said in a particular context, meaning I try to express what that is based on what people's needs are and the background that they have.

To unchurched people who don't live in the Bible Belt, the word "saved" is completely foreign to them anyway.

To those that are churched but do not know the Lord, they have some fundamental idea but wouldn't have an idea of what it means for them personally.

To those that know the Lord, you might be trying to express what it means for you, personally, in terms of what being a member of God's family means to you.

If speaking to somebody that's a Jew or a Catholic for whom being a Christian is, like being a Jew, something is born into (Jews think that you become a Christian the same way you become a Jew...by being born a Jew, e.g. you're born a Christian), so, if you use the term that being saved means you are a member of God's family, they think of something completely different.

You see what I mean? Can you maybe set the mood a little, e.g. provide some context? Are you asking what that term means theologically? For each of us personally? Are you trying to summarize the meaning of the term for an evangelistic conversation with a certain person.

C'mon...throw us a bone [​IMG]

If I recall my Greek word pictures correctly, I believe you could say, "Made whole" as in "Made complete" or "Made a whole person," as far as the word itself...of course the wider meaning in terms of the faith would be "Made whole spiritually" or "Made a new creation through the substitutionary atonement of Christ."

The term "saved" in English usage begs the question "From what?" Saved from God's wrath and guilt (expressing the concepts of propitation and expiation); from sin's penalty, power, and presence (expressing the concepts of justification, sanctification, and glorification).

Basically there are three Greek words that get rendered as "saved", all of which involve the idea of deliverance or rescuing or being rescued, including restored to health (the whole person idea) or delivered from sin, etc.

[ May 19, 2004, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: GeneMBridges ]

3. IdahoLabs

IdahoLabs New Member

I'm thinking of how to describe it to an unsaved friend...someone to whom it would be an entirely new, foreign concept.
    Thanks [​IMG]

=======
    A Good Reputation:
    Hard to Get
    Difficult to Maintain
    Easy to Lose

4. semamiyth

semamiyth New Member

It's hard to tell someone who is new to the gospel what being saved is in one short sentence, some more light on the matter would be helpful if you are willing. However, I would like to quote out of Proverbs and maybe you can pull something out of that.
    ==========

-Better than anything you can desire
    -"Playing marbles with diamonds"
    -Perfect Love

==========
    Happy is that man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her. Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. Proverbs 3:13-17

5. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Being mercifully rescued from an awful fate that I deserve.

6. TWade

TWade New Member

If you've been SAVED, what have you been saved from and what have you been delivered to?

You've been saved from the wrath to come.

7. Baptistgal

Baptistgal New Member

If it's a totally new and foreign concept to your friend than you shouldn't use just one short sentence. Jesus used an entire chapter to explain it to Nicodemus. The simple facts is what your friend needs. If you are trying to help him see he needs God, than say that. Tell him God wants to help Him and be his friend.

If the concept is so foreign its going to take an entire conversation. I wouldn't even use the word saved until farther into the conversation, when describing that we are saved from having to go to Hell.

8. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Also remember that your friend may have specific needs in his life, like being lonely or purposeless. Being saved from God's wrath might mean something to your friend, but, because of his / her pecular needs, you could certainly talk about that but then emphasize that being saved goes beyond just being saved from God's wrath and sin's penalty. It also involves being saved from sin's power, and one of the powers of sin is the isolation from God, which is one HUGE reason that people, apart from God experience loneliness or lack of purpose. It just depends on what needs your friend has.

I am also reminded of my quiet time today in Luke 12 where Jesus, speaking in the context of the persecution of His followers, promised that, when it comes time to give a defense of our ethics, the way we live and the things we believe, that the Holy Spirit will give us the discernment and even the utterance of what to say. Therefore, above all else, pray that the Lord will give you the discernment to speak to that person's needs, because it is often that kind of immediate needs discernment that the Holy Spirit uses to convict and convert or convict and then let stand as a testimony against an unsaved person. Remember, God's Word does not return to Him having not accomplished its purpose. If it does, God would not be sovereign. You may plant a seed or reap a harvest, but you may also speak a word of judgment once you disclose spiritual truth to that person. Only the Holy Spirit will know, if your friend is not there converted. Be encouraged, for we do evangelism as much because God says so as for the conversion of the souls to whom we witness.

9. semamiyth

semamiyth New Member

I'm going to get off the subject a bit and agree with GeneMBridges. What a lot of people don't understand is that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has a two fold effect.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 21:5 5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

To be saved is to believe in Jesus Christ, who died for our sins so that we are able to fully love and honor Him with the rest of our lives and spend eternity in His kingdom.
    Gina

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Adopted by God to be a heir of all his riches.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

To be saved is to be reconciled with God. We are saved from his wrath, but this doesn't mean much to people who have no sense of sin or of being separated from God to begin with (on the other hand, I think a lot of Christians forget that we are saved from the wrath of God and it's a good thing to remember).

When I talk about Christ with unbelievers who may not know the gospel, especially those coming to my website, I say something to the effect that we are separated from God by sin but we can be reconciled to God through trusting Christ.

Of course, then it takes more discussion because I explain why Christ came, and what Christ did on the cross. I also have to explain sin sometimes as many do not believe in sin or have re-defined it.

14. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Saved means I am not going to hell. [​IMG]