1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Brother James, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Brother James

Brother James New Member

Why do those of us here who embrace the doctines of grace have no problem with being called a "Calvinist" but those here who agree with at least 4 of the 5 points of Armenius shun the title?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I didn't notice that anyone shunned the title of being an Arminian. Maybe I haven't read enough of the threads.

IMO, most of the people who argue on that side SHOULD shun the title of being an Arminian. I haven't seen a single free-willer here state that he believes in total depravity, yet Arminius believed in total depravity. That makes it hard for the free willers on this board to call themselves Arminians (again, IMO).

On the other hand, I haven't read any of Calvin's writings (outside of a skim here or there), but I have no problem with being called a Calvinist. So your starting premise is okay with me. ;)

3. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

Arminias believed in total depravity??? Not the way Calvin and his followers described it. That was the starting point.