1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's it like

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Servent, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Servent

Servent Member

What is it like to live were you live
    I live in a med. size town about 30 miles north of houston,theres alway's something going on. malls everywere,little shops all over, downtown houston in 30 min. baseball, football, almost anything you can ask for except quite.
    how about you.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in Lawrence Co. Ohio, across the creek from Huntington, WV. Biggest thing in this area is Marshall University, with its excellent academics, med school, and sports tradition.

Just about every legitimate Christian denom and and(unfortunately) just about every pseudo-Christian cult suca as Mor(m)ons & Jehovah False Witnesses has a sanctuary in this area. There are plenty of Baptist churches, and just about the only one I know not represented is the Landmark Baptist sub-denom.

Weather is average temperate zone, and flooding from the Ohio River is always in the back of the mind. Overall, people are quite friendly and open.

Not a bad Middle-America place at all!

3. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I live in Copeland Florida, a small village of about 275. Back in the 1930s it was a logging camp (in fact our congregation was established in 1935). Now we are a small enclave surrounded on all sides by State and Federal land. We have no cable, no DSL, no mail delivery (we must drive into Everglades City for our mail) and it is not unusual to go out in the morning and see a Boar or alligator in the front yard.
    For all that (and I didn't even mention the Mosquitos), it's a good place to live...A lot of good, God-fearing and hard working people here!
    Probably one of the few places left that people take care of each other.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Glasgow, MT here.
    Totally dead or dying farming community of about 3000. Geographically we are in the extreme NE of Montana. The PLAINS! There is a REASON they call it plain! LOL
    Nearest Wal-Mart = 3 hours away. Nearest Home Depot = 6 hours away. Here in Montana we don't talk in miles, we talk in hours. Usually 2 lane hiways, to get anywhere.
    We have one each of RCC, Episcopalian, Methodist, SDA, JW, Mormon, Assembly of God, Community of Christ, FourSquare, and 2 each of Lutheran (Missouri, and Evangelical) and Baptist (ABC and SBC). The Nazarene minister retired so they closed that church. That is 13 churches for 3000 folks. Really "religious" but not much else.
    Weather is HORRIBLE! Winters, you can count on many weeks of -20 to -30 with some sideways snow.
    Summers, IF we have one, it can get to 100+ for a day or two. Mostly 70 to 80. The most prevalent weather pattern we have is wind, 25 mph to 40 mph on most days.
    On the upside, we have white-tails, elk, fox, upland birds, ducks, geese, badgers, porky's, and rodents!
    The "river" that flows through town was named the "MILK" by Lewis and Clark because it reminded them of tea with cream in it. ICKY-POOH!
    26 miles south of town is Fort Peck reservior. Roosevelt built it during his work programs. Today it is all but useless except for boating. Average time on the water to catch ONE pound of fish is 14-18 hours!
    We are slowly getting technology. Cable, satellite, DSL, online banking, etc...
    We are right next door to the Fort Peck Indian reservation on one side and the Fort Belknap on the other.

(Side note; It was truly sad how our government "gave" such POOR lands to the Indians.)

This truly IS Big Sky country! You can see for MILES with narry a tree to get in the way. Some folks like it, but this boy from the mountians of Idaho DOESN'T!

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

I live in a SMALL VERY Christian based community. We have ONE stop light,eleven churches four gas stations, and 4000 residents.

When someone in the community is having trouble EVERYONE tries to help in some way.

We spend our time driving and waving to each other.
    It's nice.. [​IMG]

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I am originally from the Philadelphia area but just moved to Florida about 2 years ago. I live in Hernando county which is about 45 miles north of Tampa but I have to drive to downtown Tampa every day to go to work. I absolutely love the weather down here! :cool: :cool: :cool:
    BUT! Tampa is a very wicked city and there is alot of crime there. That is why I would rather drive an hour each way to get to work and live in a little more of a rural area. I am about 15-20 min. from the gulf of Mexico (good grouper fishing!) and 1 1/2 hours from....... DISNEYWORLD!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    No shortage of good Baptist churches here and I found a good one just 2 minutes from my house. Just about the friendliest church I have ever been to. But people are flooding into Florida by the thousands every day and there is alot of development going on. I meet more folks from other states than I do native Floridians. Especially New Yorkers! Housing is a little less expensive here but as you know everything is relative. Wages, especially for blu collar work, are really low. I only make half of what I was making in Philly, but Florida is a great state to be poor in. [​IMG] When I live in Penna. I always came to Florida for vacation and now I live here!
    Hallelujah! [​IMG]

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live in a fairly small town in NE Minnesota. We have a very small mall that is open until 9 pm. There are about 7000 people and a few smaller towns that have somewhere in the range of 1000-2500 people. This area is called the Iron Range because of all the iron mines that covered the area. Many of those have closed or greatly scaled back operations. When I first moved here, I quickly learned that whenever the mines negotiated a new contract the prices went up everywhere. My income, however, did not. It is pretty expensive to live here inspite of the low incomes most people have. The companies that moved here to replace some of the mining jobs do not pay nearly as well as the mines did. The town rolls up the sidewalks at 5 pm except for a few places to eat and all the bars. Main street is just five blocks long, and yet we have 21 bars lining both sides of the street. We used to have many more than that. I'm glad some have closed and would not mind seeing more follow suit.

Outdoor sports and activities are big here. I enjoy the mesabi trail in the summer. It is a bike trail that covers almost a couple hundred miles.

There are many churces in the area. Some spots seem to have one on each block. They range from metholist to baptist to pentecostal. Every belief imaginable seems to be covered.

Duluth is an hour away. So, we can get a taste of the big city anytime we want. I go to school there and while it is kind of a cool city right on the shore of Lake Superior, I am glad I don't live there.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Its really hot, dark. I can't get anything to drink. I've been stuck here a long time, but I don't have a watch, and I can't see the sun. These flames are unbearable! I wish I could die, again... Could someone go warn my brothers?

- The Rich Man

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Servent, do you live in Spring?

My aunt and Uncle, several cousins, and my brother and his son technically live in Spring, but they are closer to Oak Ridge North.

As for me, I live in Cypress. It's just Houston without any office buildings......yet.

The largest building near me is the Compaq Computer building. It's only 1-story, but it's about 200,000 sq. feet. (BTW, since HP took over, the building is up for lease. It would be perfect for our 27 member church. We are now taking donations. Make money orders ONLY payable to James Reed, acct. # 013........ :D )

I am about 10 miles outside of the Houston city limits on Hwy. 290.

10. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

I live in NYC, and as u may have heard there r millions of people here, I think there r even more than said due to all of the illegal aliens!. I go to work on the subway---iron horse-- as we say and it takes abt 20 mins.. I dont own a car u can get around without one. I like the fact there are so many great places to go and things to do and see. Going to the theatre and other places becomes a trial in the summer with so many tourist. I go to a great church that is based on scripture that has a wonderful christian congregation and Pastor. [​IMG] There r so many wonderful christian people in NYC, I bet most people outside of it would not know this, u wouldnt find it out from what is on NYPD Blues or NY Undercover. :rolleyes: however everything is getting so expensive here that it is becoming a town for the very rich,the middle class is leaving in droves, I mean by the hundred of thousands a year. When I retire I will leave also, it is not the same town I grew up in!. I dont know where I will end up but I know it will not be a big city, I like the country and have family all around the south living in rural areas. I will miss NYC but in my--retirement years I want to wake up to beautiful skies, sound of birds outside my window and listening to the grass grow.!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's yer point?

12. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Whoops! That is a misprint on my part.

The building is about 700,000 sq. feet , not 200,000. The Super Wal-Mart is about 200,000 and the Compaq building is MUCH larger.

btw, I'm still awaiting donations. ;)

13. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

James Newman,
    I've never heard Arlington Texas described quite that way.

14. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Sounds like he's haphazardly quoting scripture from Luke 16

15. Servent

Servent Member

Bro Reed I live in New Caney on the 59 side of houston. I do know were your at though, I used to work for an elec. contractor that has a contract with compaq (hp)I spent many years there remolding offices and building new, it was a neat place to work until I was hurt and had to have back surgery, I would still be there if not for that.Now I work for New Caney ISD as there maintenance electrican, it's close to home.

It has been very nice to meet all of you.

16. Servent

Servent Member

Bro Reed I know that building it would make a very good church.

17. Servent

Servent Member

I spent about 2 hours in NY last year waiting on a bus it was pretty neat it was just after dark on 42 street. I dont think I could live there though way to crowed.

18. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I live in a little bitty town of about 2500. We have a stop sign and a Ward's greasy hamburger joint, but they are only open half the time, so ya gotta hurry if ya wanna get some grease.

We dont have DSL or cable either out here, but we do have satellite.

There is lots of wildlife - turkeys, deer, and other critters in our yard. Even saw a panther the other day. We are close enough to a city (30 minutes) that has 2 walmarts and a mall and all the chain restaurants, so its great. No one locks their doors (except us - lived in New Orleans too long) and everyone shares their garden vegetables.

19. csmith

csmith New Member

I live in Wichita, KS--home of BTK