1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's modern equivalent of "Samaritan"?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by vaspers, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Hmmm,

A homosexual? That's touchy. I think you're right about the sociopolitical background of the disdain for samaritans.

Certainly Jesus loves homosexuals as He loves us. And certainly a homosexual can "see the light" and be saved. But I don't think the point was to use someone (the samaritan) who was an active sinner but rather to use someone whom WE might see as "second rate" because of our distinctions.

2. vaspers

vaspers New Member

All good points, but I want to know more about Samaritans. I think the religious question was very important, not just the racial. I mean, the Samaritans had a competing temple, and a week or so before the Jerusalem feast celebrations, they'd launch their own counterfeit feasts to confuse and seduce pilgrims on the way to Jerusalem, even lighting huge torches to attract them. It's almost funny, if it wasn't a spiritual problem. What goofs they were, kinda scheming like Jacob, bless his heart. And yes, a "samaritan" to me would be anyone I stupidly considered beneath me, or someone I disagreed with. One day an mega-church marketer was heading toward the cinemaplex to watch "The Passion" by Mel Gibson, and he saw a man wounded and robbed by thieves on the side of the road... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Modern equivalent? A deacon passes him by, a pastor passes him by, a muslim helps him. OK lawyer, who was neighbor unto him, etc. etc.

4. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Or a Republican passes him by, a Corporate CEO passes him by, then a liberal Democrat union member helps the guy. Or a classical musician passes him by, then a Southern Gospel singer passes him by, then a punk industrial noise band syth player/ purple mohawked /nose piercing tattoo artist helps the poor suffering guy. Or a doctor passes by, then a nurse passes him by, then a chiropractor helps him. {the variations are endless--mite make a good game to play with Jr. High sunday school students or even collegiates, huh?}

5. Precepts

Precepts New Member

O.K., Here's the ultimate test:

If YOU were to come across a man, dirty, stinking, covered in his own vomit. You could tell he was praying in a chant and it was to allah. At further glance you notice he looked just like osama bin laden. You have your Bible in your hands, Jesus in your heart, and $100 in your pocket,what's your next move?

"Good" Samaritan, or hypocrite, you choose?

6. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Good one Precepts. Very good point. Thanks everyone for all the input. This question bothered me and I've now got lots of insight. Cool! [​IMG]