1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whats on your Christmas dinner menu?

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by donnA, Dec 17, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Where are yu going to be for Christmas dinner, and whats on the menu?

The original plan was everyone was going to Tony's house, but they've moved and can't get utilities turne don till after the new year, so they're staying with Tonya's parents. So everyone is coming here. I wanted a simple meal, with not a lot of leftovers.
    We're having, as far as I know right now,
    baked ham
    sweet potato casserole
    green beans
    corn
    mac and cheese
    deviled eggs
    cranberry sauce
    peach cobbler
    pumpkin pie
    and sugar free chocolate pie

I may add something to the list before then, thinking maybe the new coleslaw with the honey dressing.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I should say, most of my list was formed around what the kids like to eat. Mac and cheese, corn and green beans will be my grandkids favorites, and my son prefers ham over turkey, my husband and sons love peach cobbler, and no one will let me get by christmas without sweet potato casserole.
    The sugar free chocolate pie was chosen for me!

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One of the men in our congregation gives a gift of a ham for Christmas to all of the pastors (he's a chef) so we'll have that along with:

corn casserole
    green beans
    applesauce (homemade from another member from church)

Not sure what we'll do for dessert.

Pretty simple dinner because that's what we like. :)

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

On Christmas Eve we'll have:

Pork roast
    Mashed potatoes
    Gravy
    Green Beans
    Rolls

On Christmas we'll have a brunch of:
    Biscuits and gravy
    omelettes (sp?) or quiche
    Sticky buns
    Coffee and/or milk

The rest of the day we'll pick at:
    Cheese ball with crackers and salami chunks (good salami, straight from Germany)
    Candy
    Cookies

I'm sugar-free/sugar substitute-free again this season, though. We'll see how well that goes...

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't have a clue what we'll have Christmas or Christmas eve.

Christmas eve is at Son/DIL's house. That is always a surprise ;)
    Christmas is at the beach and will be at what ever is open.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Christmas eve we always go to my mother inlaws, Roberts whole family meets there. I cook turkey, dressing, and dumplings, biscuits and corn bread, others bring other food. Typically green beans, corn, pinto beans, potato salad, cole slaw, and desserts.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Totally breaking from Christmas tradition this year.

We are eating our Christmas Eve meal at a local restaurant (after we deliver the evening papers). Haven't checked them out yet to see which ones are open.

No one is able to come home for Christmas this year, so Dale and I decided rather than sit here by ourselves, we would drive up to Wisconsin (after we deliver the morning papers) and surprise my son, Vern, with a visit on Christmas day!

We will be eating Christmas dinner at whatever restaurant is open in Racine, WI. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Christmas night so we can visit Vern again the next day before we drive home - in time to deliver the afternoon papers!

This will be the first time I haven't baked for weeks and had a large Christmas meal with at least part of the family here. It will be different, but I've put my bid in already for EVERYONE to come home next year!!! LOL

It will be a 500 mile round trip for us and the weather is always nasty in WI during the winter months, so all of these plans depend on the road conditions...

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sounds like a great christmas to me Sue.

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a question I cannot answer. I am still in Prague. My spouse flew home to the States a week ago. Her 90 day visa was running out. Mine runs out in early Jan., and I'll fly home a day or two before the 90 days are up. So we will both be alone this year. A Christian friend has invited me to his house for Christmas. He is Serbian and his wife is Estonian ... so I haven't a clue what is on the menu. :laugh:

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

As long as you're doing it on 12/24/08, you're probably OK as long as you plan to eat early in the evening.

The REAL trick is to find a nice family-style restaurant that's open on 12/25/08 (or 12/25/[any year for that matter]!!!. It's as if nobody is out traveling on the highways w/family in tow on 12/25!

Of course if you're a Waffle House employee, 12/25 is the day you really want to work because you'll make more money in tips that day than any other day of the year!!

And the reason for that is: 'cause ain't nobody else open on 12/25!!!:BangHead:

A family on the highways on 12/25 would do well to follow the example of "The Father of our Country" back in 1776.

It's a good thing that on 12/25/1776 General Washington ordered his troops in PA to have a very hardy breakfast that day!

They weren't going to be celebrating Christmas with friends and loved ones that day. They had a different sort of "To Do" list back then:

1) Cross the ice-swollen Delaware River eastward onto NJ.

2) Defeat the Hessian mercenaries (hired from the German region of Hesse since so very few of the English commoners supported the King's efforts to crush the American rebels) stationed at Trenton, NJ--most of whom would have been profoundly hungover from all their wild Christmas parties the night before!!

[For those unfamiliar with "The German Way of Doing Things," one must keep in mind that most Germans need little or absolutely no excuse at all to drink themselves into a drunken frenzy--immediately followed by a downing a huge keg 1k-proof "chaser."]

3) And, thus having done so, succeeded in accompish two very important goals: (a) Securing for the American side a desparately-needed victory against the British, and (b) Lessening the threat of the Continental Congress replacing General Washington as Commander-In-Chief of the Continental Army with someone else.

Which leads me to include one final comment about something we all need to remember as we partake of a meal on 12/25:

There are still thousands of people from all over America who won't be able to visit their loved ones or neighbors down the street on 12/25/08.

I'm referring, first of all, to the brave men and women--whom we call our military forces--who've answered our nation's call to serve in various (and many times very dangerous) situations all over the world in defense of our freedoms.

And, secondly, I'm referring to our other brave men and women--whom we call missionaries--who've answered our Savior's call to to serve in various (and many times very dangerous) situations all over the world in defense of the message of God's Word.

We owe both of these groups of men and women a debt of gratitude that money cannot buy.

May God bless and protect and encourage both of these groups of men and women.

And may He also bless and protect and encourage the ones that both of these groups have left behind.

Thank God for both of these groups of men and women! They're all heroes to me! :applause:

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

and, your menu is what?

12. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

M R E's!

And, if you don't know what that is, then ask most anyone who's put some time in the military. Most eveyone of them will have at least a story or two of their interaction(s) with an M R E!

#12 ktn4eg, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  13. donnA

donnA Active Member

yes, I know what an MRE is, and have eatend them. nasty.
    Why are you have MRE's?

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Some of them are, shall we say, not ones that come highly endorsed by either Wolfgang Puck or Rachel Ray.

Other's (e.g., the beef stew) are actually quite good--at least as I would define "quite good."

I'm not exactly certain what you were asking of me when you stated: "Why are you have MRE's?"

Perhaps you intended to use the present participle form of the verb "have" and were actually asking "Why are you having MRE's?" If that's what you intended to ask it's really quite simple.

When one's kitchen plumbing doesn't work as expected [probably due at least partially to the fact that the person(s) who installed my kitchen sink's drain lines was/were not among the top-scoring graduate students in the Advanced Placement Program for English Language Studies at his/her nearby satellite campus of the world-renowned University of Tegucigalpa in his/her native land of Honduras :smilewinkgrin: ], then you have to make due with what you've got at hand.

In my case, that happens to be two MRE's ["I" stands for "Individual," as contrasted with whatever they designate as a group MRE--"Multi-Serving" maybe.] left over as a souvenir from the time I was deployed to King Faisal Royal Saudi Air Force Base, Tabuk, Saudi Arabia, in 2003 as a member of the ANG's 118th Airlift Wing.

In particular, I've got the menu choice of either MRE Menu #10 (Tuna w/ Noodles) or MRE Menu #15 (Frankfurters, Beef) or Menu [I guess] #25 (i.e., both menus 10 & 15 blended together to form hot dogs w/ tuna dipping sauce on a pasta pilaf of government-issued noodles)......I'm already salivating at the mere thought of how that combination ought to taste! :eek:

Nothing gets old ktn4eg into the holiday spirit quicker than a few hours spent at the MRE Cafe's Buffet! Yum! Yum! :laugh:

#14 ktn4eg, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I picked up 3 kilos of asado which is a rib cut and will be putting on the parrilla to grill very slowly along with chorizo argentino (garlic sausage) and proveleta (chunk of provalone spiced and thrown on the grill).

In addition there will be salad and bread and for dessert our family Christmas tradition- Coke floats (its summer here so these are great).

At midnight tonight we will be setting off fireworks with all the neighbors in a display that makes my personal 4th of July experience look very small.

Christmas day we just sleep after all that.

Feliz Navidad

16. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was at work and had gelid turkey and roast potato, cauliflower and white sauce in one of those airline containers. Dessert was Christmas pudding and cornflour sauce masquerading as custard I think..........:laugh: Water to wash it down....in between answering patient bells.....