1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whats So Bad About...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Jun 16, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

I didn't want to put the full title of the article as the title for fear of a deleted topic.

i have read this article - and find it interesting.

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/killchildren.html

(note: it talks about Elisha and the two she-bears)

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Living Bible should never be taken as a scholarly translation, nor was it ever intended to. It was originally translated by a widower father who wanted to read the bible to his children. So he worked every day while riding the subway to work, to write it in a way his kids could understand it. The intent of it was not as a "feel good bible" but just to be able to read it to his children.

We have to be careful in our assumptions and accusations.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A couple of important points.

#1. Elisha has just returned from the miracle event where "Elijah was TAKEN UP" to heaven -- translated directly to heaven by God.

#2. Elisha is now carrying the primary leadership role in Israel as "the voice of God" the channel through which God speaks.

#3. The YOUTH in this case KNOW about Elijah's role AND they apparently know that Elisha has just returned from seeing Elijah taken up!

They are mocking Elisha, Mocking God for taking up Elijah - Mocking Elijah.. and probably reflecting the disrespect that their parents hold for these leaders in Israel.

#4. In all cases in scripture when the wicked do wickedly AWAY from the symbol of God's presence - judgment is delayed - sometimes for centuries. But when they enter DIRECTLY into the presence -- of the symbol of God's Presence (for example the Ark of the Covenant and Israel looking directly into to it -- and being slain by God) - or the Philistines stealing the ark only to be visited by Plagues. Surely the Philistines were "plenty wicked" in the years BEFORE the they stole the Ark of God in battle. But only when they steal the ark - do they experience those unique judgments.

There are many examples of that.

For example the Ark of Noah -- when it is "completed" God makes it's completed form the symbol of God's presence on earth - Earth is then called into judgment after 120 years of probation.

The same is true when God comes walking in the Garden in the cool of the evening. Adam and Eve had already fallen and had already sinned - but when God's presence is manifest - they are judged and cast out.

The same is true of Annania and Sapharis with Peter serving as the symbol of God's presence. How would you like to be slain for bringing tithe or offering to CHURCH!

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Maybe I'm off-base here, but the scripture passage does not say the bears killed the kids--they tore them. Maybe the Hebrew text can shed some light. But to me, it's entirely possible that the kids were lacerated pretty badly, but not killed.

I'll be happy to yield that view if sound exegesis shows otherwise.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

RM. i completely agree.
    ---

BobRyan... an amazing post with very valid points.
    ---

hmm.. i'll have to read over that passage again to see how its worded.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah all except for that part about Annania and Saphiris??? Where did I get those names?? Must have been tired. Annanias and Saphirah would have been closer to the account given in the book of Acts.