What's the AUTHORITY for an English Bible?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rlvaughn, Mar 8, 2018.

1. delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am confused as to where you are going with this conversation. Are you suggesting we should follow the Muslim's lead and only publish the Bible in its ancient Hebrew and Greek and force people to learn to read it in its original languages?

Unless, of course, speaking in tongues is the only other option on the table?

2. James Donovan Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wondered why I read 2 Tim 2:14 this morning.

3. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just trying to make a point. Many of the "arguments" that I gave came out of the What's the AUTHORITY for "King-James-Version-Only"? thread, with slight changes from KJVO to English translation. I think if we ask a question a certain and are only willing to take the answers that we "pre-require" there cannot be much fruitful discussion. I don't disagree with translating the Bible into English (or any other language). But such a discussion must go beyond just asking people for some "Bible verse authority" for their position. And when we get down to it, often it is a presupposition we've been working from that we've never given much thought.

4. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you go on Facebook - where there are countless pages for KJO
    Here are some descriptions of these groups:
    1) TO READ THE WORD OF GOD YOU MUST HAVE THE WORD OF GOD. It's easy to see the corruption in the modern translations. But what makes the KJV so special ? The King James Version (also known as the "Authorized Version") is unique. It is not just a good translation OF the word of God; it is THE supernatural perfectly preserved word of God. IT IS OUR FINAL AUTHORITY. (Divine inspiration is NOT limited to the original languages. See Acts 2:4-6.

2) Lifting up the words of the LORD JESUS CHRIST above our own .. Putting him FIRST ON HERE And our everyday walk thru this ungodly world >>> keeping in mind it's all about The Lord not us and the KJV is The Lords word and is not up for debate because he is our savior it's about him not us !!! No other scripture other than kjv should be posted or unGodly post and Martin ritchlings teachings are prohibited on this site

3) The Authorized King James BIBLE Of 1611 Is The 100% Perfect And Preserved WORD Of The Living GOD!

4) Where the King James Bible is perfect,Holy,always right, and Inspired by God for the English speaking people. KJB I repeat is the only Word of God for English Speaking people. Rest of them perversions are trash from Hell! Amen!

So yes, there are those ( and not necessarily on B) who push a KJO agenda.

5. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the case with 90% of BB threads (except mine and yours, of course ;) )

6. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many who do.

7. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's honestly very difficult for me to debate against KJVO folks because I can't help thinking that they are pulling my leg. I keep waiting for them to say that they are kidding. It is so far fetched an idea that it should not have to be debated.

8. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Besides what others have already posted, I believe Paul covered the issue some when he said he'd rather speak one word which his listeners understood than a thousand in a language they didn't know.

I believe the authority for Bible translations is a gimme from God as He told His disciples to preach the Gospel all over the world, and He knows, of course, there are thousands of languages & dialects used by men in various places.

9. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    if it isn't simply PREFERENCE, they're wrong.

Ever heard of "pastor" Steven Anderson? He claims to worship the KJV.

Ever heard of the late Dr. Peter Sturgis Ruckman?

And I know umpteen hundred people who believeGod has preserved His word in quite a few English Bible versions for hundreds of years, and who believe He keeps His word updated in English as He causes/allows the language to change. And the same is true for many other languages.

Either you haven't read all the posts in the "Translations" sub-forum, or you "interpret" them differently than most of us do. Several KJVOs have desperately tried to push their false KJVO doctrine in many threads on this site.

It IS an issue, used to heap aspersions and to cast doubt on several perfectly-legitimate English Bible versions. It's been such an issue here that former Admin. "Dr. Bob" issued a special statement for all members concerning the KJVO myth.

We receive radio broadcasts here of Pastor Jeff Fugate's sermons from Clays Mill Rd. baptist church, Lexington, KY. & while he's a very good preacher, he often hawks the KJVO myth at least for a little bit in his sermons. And he's far from being the only one.

TRUTH is, without any AUTHORITY, the KJVO position is a myth, and FALSE. No getting by that big ole bear of a FACT!

10. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course they are, and they have no evidence otherwise.

11. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question: If God gave the English-speaking world an inspired translation, did He also give an inspired translation to the people of the world speaking other languages? If so, where is it? If not, why not?

12. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question: Why would the KJ translators use margin notes with alternate translation possibilities and variant manuscript readings??? I mean, accord to KJVO, God, through devine providence, was preserving His Word. Are there many versions of His Word in the KJV>

13. Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heard of him, yes. I do not know him nor do I wish to know him. If he worships the KJV, that is but one more thing that I can add to my list of reasons for staying very far from him.

Again, heard of, yes - I didn't know him personally. He, in my opinion, went way too far down the right road.

Therein lies the root of the problem. These "quite a few" English Bible versions are not translated from the same textual basis. Both lines cannot be preserved because they disagree a staggering number of times.

Honestly, I haven't read a lot in that forum. I used to moderate in there for years and helped develop the posting guidelines for that forum because the debates were getting very heated.

There have been several aspersions heaped on the KJV as well, I have heard it called a "tired old version," etc. The sad part is, the disposition of many KJV defenders (the two you mentioned above and others) have caused many people to turn their backs on the KJV.

Bro. Fugate is a personal friend. I, personally, have never heard him speak on the issue.

Honest question - can you see how the KJVO have arrived at their conclusion, even though you disagree with it? If so, would you mind to state the KJVO position as you understand it?

14. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, mine anyway. I'm beginning to wonder about yours! :D

15. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By Authority , you seem to infer "Authorized Version" written of the KJV which is man's authority and financial backing ,
    Like an Royal approval. Remember there we other English versions in use that did not have approval from the establishment,
    That is why Tyndale had to be replaced in the establishments mind.

God has not authorized any translation but we know He can provide translators led by the Holy Spirit to do their jobs accordingly.

No translation is inspired but may present the scriptures accurately, or maybe not. We know God does protect His word as men try to change it.

16. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except for the autographs

17. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I miss the joke, Is this today's translations, autographs of the writer, editor. ?

18. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a joke - the only "version" that is inspired is the original autographs.

19. loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got it, I agree.

I was thinking a Scofield signing a Scofield reference Bible

20. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not inspired, but probably worth a few bucks! :Tongue