1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the Deal With Liberty and LBU?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TCGreek, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==And sadly so. I believed at the time, and I believe now, that Caner is not the right kind of person to lead a theological seminary. I understand why Falwell appointed Caner (ie...growth) but I think the past few years have proven my concerns about Caner to be correct. He makes wild, often careless statements, and on at least one occasion used language that should not be used by a seminary president (mainly in a seminary classroom). On a recent trip to Israel Dr. Caner buddied up with former pro-wrestler, and TBN regular, Ted DiBasie. The two can be seen on the seminary's webpage. My personal view is that Caner is too much of a loose cannon to be a good seminary president. He might be good for growth but I think his style takes away from the academic and spiritual seriousness that a seminary needs in its president. Then again, Southwestern has replaced academic hats with cowboy hats. So maybe the less serious is in style right now? In which case Dr. Caner fits right in :laugh: .

Don't get me wrong. I think personally Dr. Caner is a great man and a good Christian (and a wonderful speaker). I just don't believe he is the right person to lead a seminary.

#21 Martin, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2008
  2. Broadus

Broadus Member

I agree. I don't know how Dr. Caner can be taken seriously with some of his unsupportable rash statements. He wouldn't get away with those in doctoral seminars I had at SBTS. As a seminary dean, he reduces the academic prestige of LBTS, IMO.

Bill

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think you hit the nail on the head here. He will be a figure that will attract a lot of students.

However, I agree with you and Broadus, I have no clue how he will ever be taken seriously.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

What impresses me about CES is first the faculty they come from first rate schools. Second we know 2 of the faculty and I am positive they will hold thier students feet to the fire and bring them out the other side. Third the flexibility of the school in building programs. In other words you can dig as deep as you want and are willing to .
    I have read papers and articles by some of the students and been very impressed. By the way some of their faculty are published authors.
    Why would I say that CES is better than some accredited schools? Let us consider the leaders of the Jesus seminar. The name of the seminar is very misleading. Everyone of these scholars (all from liberal schools) is a disgrace. If they had one ounce of integrity they would quit what they are doing and get a job bartending some where. These schools are all fine for business, law, or medicine, but are way off base in thier seminaries. So yes in my opinion CES is better than any liberal Bible college or seminary.

CES doe's not try to fool you or pull the wool over your eyes in any way. They are honest and straight up from the start.
    I think that CES will grow in reputation and stability over time. The staff will be proud to be a part of the CES teaching team.:thumbs:

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB Response

Hey POB,

How are you? Well I hope!

And who might be those, " . . . we know 2 of the faculty and I am positive they will hold their students feet to the fire and bring them out the other side" to whom you refer? HA!:laugh:

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

6. Plain Old Bill

Well I'm busy doing a lot of studying. So far I've attended over 500 lectures and done a lot of reading. Still keeping my web page going. Stuff like that. So I don't get to spend much time here...I do pop in from time to time though.:thumbs:

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I am feeling a bit worried for the remarks made below. I don't want to hurt feelings, but I want to be honest too. So, I'd like to express why I said them.

#27 UZThD, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  8. Plain Old Bill

Good points Bill, you certainly broaden the picture.
    LBU has work to do there is no doubt,but they seem to be on the way .

9. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

IMHO - I think Caner scare some people.

He is brash at times, but to me he doesn't seem so button downed and tied up.

I've met him. He has come and spoke at the Association I am in.

He does bring in people. I believe he does a great job.

Like him-dislike him, he is out there serving God- making disciples- standing in the
    gap as a man of God.

10. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Back to the original query (before the CES & Caner/LBTS rabbit trails) ...

Liberty was founded and guided by a BBF-trained man and has maintained a very friendly relationship with a number of IFB schools such as LBU. And as has been mentioned prior in this thread, Caner is essentially the de facto mouthpiece of Arminianism today. So for LBU to invite Caner is not really surprising to me at all.

For the record, I have a family member who lives in Lynchburg (albeit not on LU or TRBC payroll) who was recently given an honorary doctorate (please don't start another flamefest on that topic) by LBU.

11. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

I have heard the name,but who is Thomas Ice?

Is he a professor at Liberty? What subject does he teach there?

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if he teaches, but he does appear to have a ThM from DTS, which would allow him to teach some courses.

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

More than...............................

Oh, I think it is much more substantial than this. FYI, Dr. Falwell himself was a graduation speaker at LBU a couple years ago if memory serves me faithfully. The BBFI tie is probably the thread that holds its all together.

14. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Your memory is correct.

And it brings up a ironic point that despite the vitriol spewed by many in IFBx circles toward Falwell & Liberty, he still had a soft spot in his heart for them.

15. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

honorary doctorate degrees ( in general)

For the record, I have a family member who lives in Lynchburg (albeit not on LU or TRBC payroll) who was recently given an honorary doctorate (please don't start another flamefest on that topic) by LBU.[/QUOTE]

I am sure that you are proud of your family member who was given a honorary doctorate degree by LBU.

In our country it is quite acceptable to give and receive honorary degrees. But if I were looking for a physician as my doctor I would want it to be more than an honorary doctrate degree.

What is the person who receives this type of degree different from those who have earned a doctrate degree?

I have wondered about this for some time. This is not a personal attack on your family member. Because I have seen a lots of people who have honorary doctor degrees who have never had more than a high school diploma.

16. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Here we go again. My intent was not to bring up a discussion on honorary doctorates for the umpteenth time. It was to express that there were connections from Lynchburg to LBU. And despite my pleas to avoid a flaming, one arrived nonetheless.

My relative was being honored for a lifetime of contributions and he certainly didn't need anything to pad his resume considering his advanced years. You can come back down off your academic high horse now. :rolleyes:

17. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

I am sorry!

I am not guilty of being on an academic high horse. I am sure you and your family member are smarter than me. Belileve me I had no flames in my ink. I meant no offense, but I sure did,I am sorry that I came across that way.I am willing to drop this and move on.

18. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

That is perfectly fine by me. Sorry for the high horse reference. That was presumptuous on my part.

19. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

no problem

and may we both have a great time on this fine message board.:thumbs: keep posting!

20. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Sly Fox

I have been thinking about your reply. And I want to let you know that I am for people to study the word of God for themselves and think very clearly with the help of the Holy Spirit Who is able to help all of us irregardless of our degrees and smartness.

I have read books that were written by men of earned degrees and they have been accused of "copying" from other authors and not giving credit and not copying correctly either. Now your family member is a honored person who has done his research and who knows maybe a better scholar than those who have gone to college,university,seminary and have not done any original research. So I want to compliment your family member too.

I know of a young student who attended a liberal university and did some orginal research or at least no other student had ever admitted "discoverying" some research that would put her learned professor in an embarrassing position because she was finding information that contradicted her professor. Case it point her professor wanted her to declare that an fundamentalist was anti-Semitic. But the student's research showed her that the professor was wrong and that the professor's friend was found to be anit-Semitic. The student was not granted her earned degree because of ...you fill in the blank. Not fair. but true I believe, truth should be the rule, not political cover-up of one's friend.