1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the difference between Fred and Frank?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 24, 2011.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is another set up thread, like can God make a rock too heavy for Him to lift. If Fred has never heard the Gospel, how could he be hardened against it? By the way, you say that is a normal young man. Where does he live? You would have to live under a rock like the GEICO commerical not to hear the Gospel. Therefore, he probably has heard the Gospel. The distinction you make between the two is immaterial. One does not care, and the other actively dislikes the message. The end result is the same. It is called lost. Why one has grown hardened, and the other has not, what difference does it make? They are both in the same state.

Also, your senerio falls short, because you do not know what the future holds for these two young men. If God called them to salvation, that is, elected them, then they will come to salvation. The fallacy of your thread rests on two points. One is you do not know God's will, and two, you take a snapshot at one instant in time. The subject or the result is not nearly as simple as you paint the picture.

No, not according to Calvinism were they both born totally depraved. According to the Bible Romans 3:10. (that is in the NT). As usual, you take verses out of context to fit your neat little theory. They will not cease becoming hardened unless God intervenes, not the individual waking up one morning and saying, "Gee, I think I will become uncalloused today."

Taking the story further, it seems very odd to me that you believe we can choose to be saved on our own divine power, yet once saved, we cannot choose to become lost. No doubt God appreciates those who choose to follow His calling, as the Lord must tire of regenerating people all day long.

#21 saturneptune, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

That makes us even because I'm not convinced that you really know what Arminianism is.

Interesting you bring that up because in our last encounter in the thread titled "Total Depravity = Hardening?" you never did reply to my thorough response to you. Maybe you missed it? It is down the page on post #177 HERE IT IS>

I expect you to call out any Calvinists here who address any posts that have been discussed previously as also "horse-flogging" so as to not reveal your blatant double standard and expose the real motive behind these types of senseless accusations.

I think you might confuse "disagreement" with "misunderstanding." Maybe because it is easier for you to just say, "Oh, he doesn't understand" and then dismiss me, than it would be to engage in a civil and rational discussion. Maybe?

Considering that my questions and topics of discussion are very similar to many being discussed in scholarly journals and Cal/Arm debates around the nation and throughout Christian history I find it interesting to receive these types of responses. I think it more reveals your lack of knowledge and understanding about the real points of contention between Arminian and Calvinist scholars. Maybe if you engage in a civil discussion with me on the subject you could learn about these things and not sound so uninformed in the future.

3. Skandelon

Exactly my point! Good.

Just like the Gentiles of Jesus day. How could they have grown hardened to God's revelations since they weren't the ones receiving them like the Jews were? That is why Paul clearly teaches that the Jews had "grown calloused otherwise they might see, hear, understand and repent," but the Gentiles "they will listen." Acts 28:21-28

So, you are just going to randomly change my pretend scenerio because you think its not possible that someone hasn't heard the gospel in this world? Really?

I guess it is if you change my scenerio to meet your presumption that everyone must have heard the gospel just like the GEIGO commercial.

I'm going to stop here because I feel like maybe I'm being "PUNKED" or something. This can't be a serious reply.... If it is I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, but this is really getting absurd...

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are stopping here because you have nothing further to argue, especially the last paragraph. The problem with your threads is that you set up unreal events. Maybe you should sell your ideas to the SyFy channel.

5. Skandelon

So its unreal to suppose that there is a man who hasn't heard the gospel and another who has heard it and has repeatedly rejected it? Really? That is so far fetched? My brother is a missionary in Turkey and he tells me of people who he has meet who have never heard the gospel all the time. And I know plenty here in the states who have heard it daily but have continually rejected it. What is so syfy about that?

That is why I stopped responding to your thread.

6. Skandelon

And with regard to your last paragraph:

I don't know any believer in the world who holds to this view, so why would I need to reply? Go find someone who actually believes this non-sense and let them defend it.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Exactly the one I am speaking to. It takes a miracle to turn to the Lord. You are dismissing me because I refuse to follow your baiting logic. Those you accept your set ups at face value fall right into your planned arguments. You are very simple to see through.

8. Skandelon

If you can find me one non-Calvinistic scholar who makes the claim you accused me of believing I will apologize and leave this board to never return. Otherwise, you will be revealed for falsely misrepresenting a fellow believer, and Arminianism as a whole.

I think the incarnation, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus was quite miraculous. And I believe the inspiration of the gospel, the indwelling of the messengers who carry it throughout the world is miraculous too. Don't you?

By refusing to accept that there might be a person in this world who hasn't heard the gospel? Really?

Why don't you back up and start over brother. This doesn't need to be contentious. There is nothing "baiting" about the scenario of the OP. One guy has heard and has rebelled repeatedly and the other hasn't ever heard. What is the big deal? You have overreacted and wrongly accused me. I forgive you so let's move on.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What does that have to do with anything? This is about you and your posts.

No one said otherwise, and no one who believed otherwise would be on this board.
    There are plenty people who have not heard to Gospel. They are lost just like the one who is rebelling. They are not two catagories.

Why don't you pick out a different subject one out of every 25 threads?

You never did answer the question as to how you have the ability to choose salvation but not to lose it?

#29 saturneptune, Feb 26, 2011
  10. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

John 21:17
    The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.

1 John 2:
    Warnings Against Denying the Son
    18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. 21 I do not write to you because you do not know the truth[Some manuscripts and you know all things], but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth. 22 Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

24 As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

John 15:The Vine and the Branches
    1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[The Greek for he prunes also means he cleans.] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.4Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.6If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

Titus 1:9
    He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Hebrews 3:
    12 See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end.

#30 psalms109:31, Feb 26, 2011
  11. Skandelon

Its about you misrepresenting my posts and the Arminian beliefs. If you are going to make an accusation be ready to back it up with proof, otherwise don't bother making the point.

Apparently they are not miraculous enough to bring someone to salvation though in your view, which was the point if you were following along.

Then what was your point about the GEICO commercial and when you said they have probably heard? You changing your mind on that now?

Never said they weren't both lost. Go back and read the OP again but slower this time.

We are talking about the difference of one who has "grown calloused" and one who hasn't.

Why don't you ignore my posts if you don't care to discuss soteriology with me?

I never made that point so why would I need to answer it? That is not the subject of this thread. If you want to discuss the doctrine of perseverance please start and new thread.

12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw your post, but I still feel quite happy with what I have written, and if that doesn't convince you, then I don't suppose writing another post is going to do any better. You seem to be rather settled in your opinion. However, I'll have another look and see if I can add anything that might be helpful. It may take a day or two though.
    If any of them open three different threads on almost exactly the same subject, as you have done, I certainly will.

Steve

13. Skandelon

It's ironic when people say things like this because it presumes they must be right and the other must be wrong thus revealing the very stubbornness and pride they accuse the other of having.

When a thread closes or is thrown off topic the discussions are often carried to a new thread, as per the request of the moderators. Maybe you didn't know that.

14. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

All of which are a quote by the Lord or Paul of one single passage found in Isa. 6:9. Go read it and tell me it doesn't tell Isaiah to make the heart of the people hard and their ear dull. So when the Lord and Paul uses it they are making a clear point that those who are hardened are hardened by the preaching of the Gospel, 2Cor. 2:15-16 It is true that men harden their hearts against the Lord but it is also true that all of us will do exactly that if God doesn't intervene and cause His word to reach our heart. Your use of the passage as a prooftext of some being hardened and others not is not only a wrong application of the passage but completely misssing the point of the passage.

When God seeks them they will respond because He doesn't seek that which He cannot attain. If He does He is no more than a man.

What twisted logic caused you to come up with this? In your system the power isn't in the Gospel it is in the preacher's ability to persuade. You can't simply preach the Gospel and let it do its work you must make it effectual by your persuasive powers. In our system the Gospel is never powerless. It always accomplishes the end for which God sends it, it is a savor of life or a savor of death. It is the preacher who is powerless not the Gospel.

The appeal in no way implies ability. I can call an insane man to be sane but he cannot do it. I can plead with all those folks in the graveyard to come up out of their graves but they cannot do it. God's commandments are an injunction to do what is right but they in no way give us ability or even imply that we have the ability to keep them.

John 16:8-14 is pretty clear what the work of the Spirit is. Find out what that means and you have the power of the Gospel.

Nonsense! We never try to keep anyone out who wants in. Our system doesn't keep anyone out who wants in. You seem to want to twist our system so that you can reject it.

#34 Ron Wood, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011
  15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The passage is dealing with what has happened,not with what might have happened.
    that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

The gospel is going worldwide,it says until the fullness of the gentiles be come in.This takes thousands of years.Only the elect remnant was saved at that time. It is the elect remnant as opposed to the unbelieving apostates.Truth is,those Jews who were hardened were the apostate reprobates who have died in unbelief as covenant breakers and are in hell now.The verses you ignore teach it, thats why Paul quotes them...I only listed those from Isa.....there are more.

16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean like the poster of Post #3 who said in response to iconoclast quoting psalm 110...
    And the same poster in Post #5 in response to iconoclast elaborating on psalm 110...
    Or perhaps that same poster in Post #15
    and
    Or perhaps that same poster in Post #22:
    And then a little more...
    I find it ironic you spend so much time talking about people who are blind, stubborn and prideful.

peace to you:praying:

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You've got to forgive Iconoclast, he sees Calvinism behind every verse in the bible. :laugh:

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Except that you have that exactly backward, you could be correct. Calvinists see God behind every verse of the Bible, not man... Seeing God behind every verse of the Bible is what brings us to the theology popularly called Calvinism.

What do you see behind every verse of the Bible?

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Well, it depends on which verse. In some verses I see the creation; some present the glory of God. Now, in some verses in the epistles, I see God offering to man salvation found in the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. I also see God not desiring that any man be lost, but that all come to repentance.

I even see Jesus call all men to come to Him:

20. Skandelon

I'm not sure how any of those relate to my reply to this quote: "if that doesn't convince you, then I don't suppose writing another post is going to do any better. You seem to be rather settled in your opinion."

I was merely pointing out the obvious point this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Sure we are both "black" (i.e. settled in our opinion) which is what makes it "ironic" for him only to see that in me, but not in himself. Of course I believe I'm right, don't you? I just recognize that about both of us and don't use it as an excuse to end the discussion or make accusations.

With regard to my responses to iconoclast, how would you respond if I quoted a dozen verses or so without any explanations or interpretation and just expected you to believe that they mean what I think they must mean to support my views? Does that seem reasonable to you? I was merely calling him out on that point and I think I did so quite respectfully.

But thanks for taking all that time to go back and find all those blatantly prideful and stubborn quotes of mine....gosh I'm so mean. Now, do Aaron, Westmin, Webdog, Snow, glfredrick and the rest...oh and don't forget yourself. :tongue3: