1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the Emergency? Emergent and Emerging Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Oct 25, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The prayer of many churches regarding their Pastor:

Lord we will keep him poor so you can keep him humble.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Just because something as superficial as your preferences communicate lack of reverence to you...doesn't mean that it is, in fact, lack of reverence.

Seriously...is this your argument against Driscoll? Give me a break. Look into his ministry, what God has done with it, what He's currently doing with it, and then come back. Maybe the things you don't like will matter even less than this.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I haven't seen anyone who against Mark Driscoll. I have seen those who are against postmodernism in the church.

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

So the way he dresses is evidence of postmodernism? I'd say it is evidence that he is from a different generation, reaching an area that is very nontraditional. I'd imagine that a preacher in a suit in tie would get a similar reaction from them as would a guy dressed like Driscoll would get from more traditional folk. Either way, the thinking behind it is wrong.

Trying to gauge a level of reverence based upon his hair, and clothes, is pointless. That is all preference depending upon cultures, generations. I think the focus is off.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, this isn't my argument against Driscoll. His theological position is a big ding against him in my book.

It doesn't matter what anyone says about dress, dress is a manner of communication. It's an integral part of his message, as I said, and as you affirmed in a later post.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I suppose the next question for Aaron should be, how should one dress to properly communicate?

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on what one is trying to communicate.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I know you do but lets address the context of what I said. No one is against Mark Driscoll. But there are some who oppose the view and methods in which he espouse.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Amen :praying:

When one spends time on their appearance, this shows class and integrity. We have no other reason but to assume he will likely approach our Lord with the same standards.

One doesn't need to wear a "suit" per se, but goofy half -buttoned Hawaiian shirts are not appropriate church attire for any Pastor while preaching in the pulpit. Besides, looking at their long chest hair hanging out above their gut is a bit disgusting. We are not to deliberately draw attention to ourselves.

Save the Hawaiian shirts for vacations to Maui :)

#69 Joe, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  10. Joe

Joe New Member

Oops got a bit sidetracked there...

Everyone proceed :)