1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the faith in "faith only"?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by bmerr, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

Gasp! Greek reveals so much that a translation cannot in any easy way duplicate. The Perfect TEnse is the best example.

Additionally, English hides the voice. One guy on this forum appealed to Rom 5:1 as a proof that an active faith that leads to justification. Ignorance of Greek and reliance only on English by itself leads to this sort of error.

But with respect to justification, using Greek it is easy to see that justification is active only with respect to God Himself and passive with respect to humans.

This easy Greek fact by itself demolishes process salvation where justification depends on sanctification (your view). Humans cannot actively contribute anything to the event of justification (my view). Hence we have the biblical word IMPUTE not earn or impart.

Really, it isn't Greek versus English. It is Christ-centered versus human-centered presuppositions.

But I understand that you could make such a cavalier statement since it is likely that you have not pursued this aspect of studying God's Word. I understand - but you are really really wrong.

Lloyd

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Is there a denomination of Christians who claim to have worked their way into a guaranteed salvation?

3. IAD

IAD New Member

The original question has yet to be answered satisfactorily, or, Biblically.

Did you not read my original post on page 1?

4. Frank

Frank New Member

Lloyd:
    This article is from Winford Claiborne a Christian brother of mine. He is well versed in Greek. I do not know if he would consider himself a scholar. Personally, I believe humility would prevent him from making such a claim. His contention is the Osas doctrine is false. He uses the Greek to make his argument. While I admit the original languages can shed some light on passages. They also contain language we can not easily accomodate or understand. ie. middle passive voice.

Many of the translations in the King James Version and in other versions introduce Calvinism into the Bible. I could give you many examples, but one will have to suffice today. Luke records Peter's command to the Jewish people he addressed on Solomon's porch of the Jewish temple. "Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord" (Acts 3:19). The Calvinists who translated the King James Version used the expression, "be converted" when it should be rendered "turn." That may not seem important, but I assure you it is very important. The Calvinists wanted people to believe that God does the turning for us. So they used the passive voice—"be converted." They should have used the active voice—"repent and turn." Most of the other versions I have in my study translate the Greek either "turn," "return" or "turn again." In his great set of books, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville: Sunday School Board of the Southern Baptist Seminary, 1930), Dr. A.T. Robertson, a professor in a Calvinist theological seminary, translates the Greek "turn again"—not "be converted" (volume 3, p. 45). The King James Version makes the same mistake every time the expression appears in the New Testament. I urge you to study carefully Matthew 13:15; Mark 4:12: Luke 22:32; John 12:40 and Acts 28:27. In every one of these verses the verb should be rendered "turn" or "turn again"—not "be converted."

I use the Greek because it helps me to understand many passages that have been misused to teach false doctrine. One of the most misunderstood and misused verses in the Bible is Matthew 16:19. Our Lord said to Peter: "And I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." Some religions interpret-.that verse somewhat as follows: Peter had the authority to bind and to loose. God was sitting up in heaven, figuratively speaking, and what he saw Peter bind and loose, he bound and loosed. That is close to what the King James Version, the New American Standard Bible, the New Revised Standard Version and some other versions teach. There are two notable exceptions to that—Charles Williams' translation and Dr. Hugo McCord's translation. Charles Williams renders the Greek: "Whatever you forbid on earth must be what is already forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth must be whatever is already permitted in heaven." Dr. McCord translates the verse: "What you bind on earth will have been bound in heaven, and what you release on earth will have been released in heaven." Dr. A. T. Robertson says the verbs—bind and loose—are future perfect indicatives. That means the verbs outline a state of completion—"shall have been bound" and "shall have been loosed." Is our understanding of what Jesus said in this verse important? It shows that no one— absolutely no one—has a right to bind or to loose what God has not already bound and loosed. When I took Greek in college, this one example convinced me of the great importance of knowing the Greek of the New Testament.

In his great sermon on the day of Pentecost, the apostle Peter used the expression, "for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38). Hundreds of debates have been conducted on the meaning of the term. The Greek of the verse should end the debate once for all. Why would I make such an observation? The exact same expression appears in Matthew's account of Christ's institution of the Lord's supper. Jesus informed his disciples: "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins" (Mt. 26:28). Did Jesus shed his blood in order that our sins may be forgiven or because they were already forgiven? If our sins were already forgiven, it was cruel for Christ to have to shed his blood. So what does "for the remission of sins" mean in reference to baptism? It means we must be baptized in order to have our sins remitted. Does one have to know the Greek in order to come to that conclusion? No, but knowing that the Greek is the same in both passages reinforces the significance of the English translation.

The apostle John wrote -five New Testament books—John, 1, 2, 3 John and Revelation. The tenses of the verbs are very significant in all of John's writings. The word "tense" refers to the time element in a verb. We speak of past, present and future tenses. The tenses of verbs are important in any language, but they are especially significant in the .Greek. I shall use a number of examples from 1 John. The following verse is a very comforting and inspiring message to Christians. "If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin" (1 John 1:7). All the verbs in this sentence are in the present tense. Present tense in the Greek involves continuous action. With that simple explanation, please listen to a literal translation of the Greek. "If we continually walk in the light, as he is in the light, we continually have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son continually cleanses us from all sin." The literal translation may seem a little awkward, but it shows conclusively that no one is saved by grace alone. If we have to continually walk in the light as Christ is in the light in order to receive the continual cleansing of our sins, we are not saved by grace alone. Charles Williams renders the verse: "But if we continue to walk in the light, just as he is in the light, we have an unbroken fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son continues to cleanse us from all sin."

The apostle John emphasizes the absolute necessity of keeping God's commandments. "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He who says, I know him, and does not keep his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keeps his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him" (1 John 2:3-5). According to Dr. A. T. Robertson's scholarly set of books, Word Pictures in the New Testament (Nashville: Sunday School Board of the Southern Baptist Convention, 1933), every one of the verbs in these verses, except the verb "perfected," is in the present tense (volume 6, pp. 210-211). That means all of the present tense verbs involve continuous action. -Charles Williams translates those verses as follows: "By this we can be sure that we know Him—if we practice obedience to His commandments. Whoever says, 'I know him,' but does not practice obedience to His commands is a liar, and there is no truth in his heart; but whoever practices obedience to His message really has a perfect love of God in his heart." These verses are absolutely devastating to the Calvinistic doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone. Anyone who thinks he can prove otherwise is hereby challenged to do so.

For years our Calvinist friends have attempted to prove from 1 John 3:6-10 that a child of God cannot fall from grace. Please listen to these verses. "Whosoever abides in him sins not: whosoever sins has not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he who does not do righteousness is not righteous, even as he is righteous. He who commits sin is of the devil: for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God does not commit sin: for the seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever does not do righteousness is not of God, neither he who does not love his brother."

The present tense verbs in this passage make it impossible for the Calvinists to use this passage to prove the doctrine of "once in grace, always in grace." So I shall read the passage with due recognition of the tenses of the verbs. "Whosoever keeps on abiding in him does not practice sin: whosoever keeps on sinning has not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man keep on deceiving you: he who practices righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who keeps on committing sin is of the devil: for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose was the Son of God manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God does not practice sinning; for his seed remains in him, and he cannot practice sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifested, and the children of the devil: whosoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, neither he who does not continually love his brother."

While it is vital to study the tenses of the verbs in this passage, the purpose of the passage is not to refute the Calvinistic doctrine of "once saved, always saved." The Holy Spirit wanted Christians to know that they must continually practice God's will. We are saved from our alien sins when we believe the gospel and obey it from the heart (Rom. 6:17-18), but we must continue to practice righteousness. Surely no one believes God will save us eternally if we do not practice righteousness or maintain holiness, or do they? The inexplicable answer is "Yes." Ron Rhodes's book, The Challenge of the Cults and New Religions (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001), includes the heading, "Maintaining Holiness Is Not a Condition of Salvation" (pp. 274-275). These are Dr. Rhodes' exact words: "The view that one must maintain holiness to sustain one's salvation goes against God's gospel of grace as clearly delineated in scripture, for example Eph. 2:8-9" (pp. 274-275). Dr. Rhodes argues that "a life of holiness is important, but it follows salvation; it does not cause it" (p. 275).

I wonder if Dr. Rhodes has ever read Hebrews 12:14. The author of Hebrews demands of his readers: "Seek peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord." Charles Williams takes the tenses of the verbs into consideration in his translation of that verse. "Continue to live in peace with everybody and strive for that consecration without which no man can see the Lord." How can a scholar, such as Dr. Ron Rhodes, overlook the tense of the verb in Hebrews 12:14? Is it because he has committed himself to a defense of Calvinism, even if it means twisting scripture to do it? But one does not have to know the tense of the verb to understand that Dr. Rhodes has missed the teaching of this and similar verses.

5. Frank

Frank New Member

Lloyd:
    The passive voice does not preclude our active participation. For example, the boy will undergo baptism tomorrow. While it appears to be passive, the idea is the boy will submit to the riutal and allow someone to immerse him. My contention is not that God does the justifying with me meriting the justification, only that man responds to the work of the cross through is submission in obedience of faith.ie. The boy will undergo baptism tomorrow. By the way, this simple sentence was provided by C.W Conrad of Washington University discussing passive, middle passive, active voices in Greek. My post on Romans 5:1,2 was in harmony with the rest of the scriptures posted. Gal. 3:26,27.You are trying so hard to stay out of the right hand ditch; you are falling into the left hand ditch.

6. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is interesting, I never heard this before. Can you point me to some supportive writings by the KJV translators that conclude they were Calvinist?

Thank You! God Bless!

7. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings Frank

You pose a worthy question.
    While it is true that the person being baptised in water is a willing passive participant, I have the following objections.

First, the boy actively seeks the water baptism and is only passive during a small part of the ceremony.

Second, water baptism requires HUMAN HANDS. Saving baptism is done by the operation of God without human hands (Col. 2:11-12).

Third, baptism into Christ is the activity of God's Spirit alone (I Cor 12:13). You are confusing spiritual baptism with water baptism. They are NOT synonyms.

Fourth, if you can see the baptism, then know for certain that it is only temporal and not eternal (2 Cor 4:18).

Fifth, why should my eternal life depend on another person's faithfulness? The boy who needed baptism depended on the faithfulness of another person, a supply of water be it a tank, pond or stream, and time to orchestrate these events. What about the fox hole conversion? Seriously, what about it! Is this a special dispensation of grace on God's part? Or will you condemn this believer to hell?

Your question was indeed worthy but alas - far short of the biblical teaching of grace, mercy and redemption. Water baptism has no part in the gospel message. Instead, it is part of the post gospel message of sanctification. Will you not now see that justification is in parallel with - yet distinct from - sanctification?

Shālôm
    Lloyd

8. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings Frank

Your referenced writing certainly is scholarly. The presentation of the Greek in Matthew 16:19 is accurate. Alas - I take exceptions to the section on tense. Action is a better way to understand the tense. The present tense can refer to either a continuous action, a snapshot of action, some timeless gnomic truth, or a perfective enduring action. Past/present/future is what is taught to first year students. You can't drop the whole load at once. Action is a refinement taught to second year students (However, Mounce includes this in his first year text). Your reference to I John 1:7 could also be correctly translated as an overarching gnomic description of one's lifewalk. Thus, particular sins are not the focus. This puts a vital distinction between the cleansing of 1:7 and the cleansing of 1:9. Why would John speak twice of the same cleansing? A continuous present might be right - but so also might a gnomic or perfective present. It is certainly wrong to translate every present as a continuous present.

I take vigorous exception to the following:

These verses have two different contexts. It is violently wrong to take the definition of a word from one context and thrust it upon the same word in another context.

Consider these two sentences.
    1. I run a race.
    2. My nose is running.

It is violently wrong to take the definition of the word "run" from sentence 1 and thrust it upon the word "run" in sentence 2.

This is the error of your presentation of this section. The context of Matt 26 is for the entire world in general. The context of Acts 2 is national Israel alone. Matt 26 requires baptism as a sign of faith in the risen Jesus. Acts 2 requires national Israelites to be baptised as a prelude to national acceptance of the rejected Jesus before judgment falls on that "untoward generation."

It is violently wrong to force a concept point designed for national Israel upon Gentiles. It is a most serious linguistics violation to assume that "remission of sins" means the same thing in these two dramatically different contexts. Context rules!

The same approach can be used on 1 John 3:6-10. But this post is already to long.

Peace (a poor substitute for shālôm)
    Lloyd

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Dear ascund,

God commands us to do certain things. If we are ABLE to do it then He expect us to do it. If we are incapable of doing it then He does not expect us to do something we are unable to do.

2Cor:8:12: For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.

Because some may be unable to be baptised or t do other things that God commands, such as the thief on the cross, is no excuse for those who are ABLE to do it.

10. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. This is my second time writing this (I hit the escape key by accident). Suffice it to say that you and Frank make me feel quite uneducated. That's okay, though. I'm not formally educated.

I would like to adress the idea you presented about Acts 2 being only for national Israel. In doing so, I'll use two approaches: common sense, and textual evidence.

First, an appeal to common sense. I'm not the smartest guy around, but it just doesn't seem logical to me, that in Acts 2, the beginnning of the preaching of the gospel of Christ, the establishment of the kingdom, the church, which was to include "all nations", and not just Jews, that God would inspire Peter to preach a message that only applied to Jews.

It seems that it would lead to confusion for those present who may have rejected the message at first, but then chose to respond at a later date. They would have been given different instructions than they had heard when first they heard the gospel. Can you see where I'm coming from? Is my common sense approach making sense?

Second, there is textual evidence which shows that there were Gentiles present to hear Peter's preaching. Acts 2:10 tells us of "strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes". Why mention Jews separately if everyone there was a Jew?

The term "stranger" is a common OT word for Gentiles (ie. Ex 12:43). Present at Pentecost of Acts 2 were "strangers of Rome". Gentiles.

Also, a proselyte was simply a Gentile who had chosen to bring himself under the Mosaic Law. Even in so doing, he was never counted as a "full Jew". The Ethiopian eunuch was such a one. Of course his status as a eunuch disqualified him, too (Deut 23:1). Maybe he's not such a good example...

Anyway, the promise of God spoken through Peter was "...Unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off..."

Those who were "afar off" were Gentiles. Eph 2:12-19 makes several references to Gentiles: "aliens", "strangers", "ye who were sometimes far off", "you which were afar off", "strangers", and "foreigners".

I know the "to the Jews only" thing is helplful to your position, but it's not correct.

In Christ,

bmerr

11. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

Yes. I've wondered that myself - in fact, am still amazed. But recall that these same Jews had botched common sense preaching and crucified their Messiah. Even the apostles had not yet gotten into the mode of being an apostles. This is the first time they've done anything but cower in fear. They haven't yet got around to their own - much less the world.

Not everyone there was a full fledged Jew. YOu forget that these Jews are very egotistical and have a lot of sinful national pride. This pride infects the apostle too. In Acts 9, Paul was commissioned to be the apostle to the Gentiles. In Acts 10, Peter cracked the "gentile barrier" - but needed a special divine dream to slap the national pride out of him. Thus, those so-called gentiles in Acts 2 were "mere" Jewish prosyletes. The distinction is made because they were still secondary Jewish citizens.

Lloyd

12. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. All the stuff about the nationalistic pride of the Jews, even the fact that the apostles were affected by it; I agree totally. As you pointed out, Peter needed the "sheet vision" in triplicate before he started to understand that the gospel was for the Gentiles, too.

Even upon his arrival at the house of Cornelius, it took his hosts' speaking in tongues to fully convince him enough to say, "Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons" (Acts 10:34). Even the apostles were merely men, after all.

[Just a passing thought: Did you realize that not one of the apostles believed that Jesus had risen from the dead the first time they were told about it?]

And though it may be true that the apostles had not yet "gotten used to their roles" as apostles, we must remember that in Acts 2, Peter spoke by inspiration (Acts 2:4). The words he uttered did not originate in his mind, but in the mind of God. Peter was merely the voicebox, if you will.

Those not of Jewish descent were included in Peter's opening line, "Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem" (2:14).

And, as I mentioned earlier, the promise was extended, not only to national Israel, but to "them that are afar off", which is a Gentile reference, unless I'm mistaken.

My conclusion is still that the gospel preached by Peter in Acts 2 was the same gospel preached to Paul at his conversion, which he also preached to the Gentiles for the remainder of his days.

Remember when Paul went up to Jerusalem with Barnabas and Titus (Gal 2)? In verse 2, Paul said he "...communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain."

Then for a few verses he speaks of the effort to have Titus circumcised, which failed.

Picking up in 2:6, he says that those who seemed to be somewhat (probably Peter, James, and John), "...in conference added nothing to me."

If Paul were preaching salvation by "faith alone" to the Gentiles, and Peter and the eleven had ben preaching a gospel that included baptism, then they would have added something to what Paul was preaching.

If we jump down to 2:9, Paul says, "And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace (Tit 2:11-12?) that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go to the heathen, and they unto the circumcision."

That "fellowship' thing is a big deal. It was John (one of those mentioned), who wrote, "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, (the doctrine of Christ) receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed" (2 John 10).

John would not have given Paul the right hand of fellowship if Paul were preaching something other than what he, Peter, and the rest of the eleven had been given to preach.

Lloyd, I have a lot of respect for your learning, and your manner (for the most part) toward me and others thus far in our discussions. But I think you've missed it on the "for the Jews only" idea for Acts 2. I hope I have made some progress in demonstrating that the invitation in Acts 2 is still applicable today.

In Christ,

bmerr

13. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

Well, yes - - - but I already showed (and you agreed) that these were prosylites. The thrust of the context is Jews and Jews only.

Recall, Paul won't be commissioned to the Gentiles until chapter 9. Peter doesn't make it to Cornelius until chapter 10.

So the thrust of these first few chapters is the historic failure of the apostles to go to the Gentiles. Acts 2 is in the midst of Jewish only context.

Even in Acts 1:6, the disciples asked, “Lord, wilt thou at this time RESTORE AGAIN the kingdom to Israel?" In Acts 3:19, Peter’s second sermon, he preaches, "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the TIMES OF REFRESHING shall come from the presence of the Lord."

If Peter is looking for the restoration of national Israel BEFORE and AFTER Acts 2, then he is IN Acts 2. With proper context in mind Peter first shows his fellow countrymen that they have crucified their Messiah (2:23). Jesus rose from the dead, will return, and execute Messianic vengeance upon His enemies (2:35; Psa 110:1-2; Isa 61:1-2;l; Jer 46:10). He reminds them that they are the ones who crucified the One (2:36) Who is both “Lord and Christ." These quips are only applicable to rebellious national Israel.

So, repent and be baptized (2:38). Save yourselves “from this untoward generation” (2:40). Who is the UNTOWARD GENERATION if it isn't Israel? Context undermines your appeal to a generic gospel of water baptism. Hence while the exhortation to water baptism was peculiar to Israelites still needing to receive their national Messiah. We Gentiles don't have this right.

I agree! But what does context tell us about Paul's message that was not changed by "these pillars?"

Gal 2:16a: not justified by works.
    Gal 2:16b: justified by faith. Even the testimony of the disciples was that they were saved by believing in Jesus Christ - no mention of water baptism but a flat denial of works.

Gal 2:20: I live by the faith of the Son of God. Where in here is any mention of water baptism. Check the whole book!

Then in Gal 3:3 Paul shows that salvation began by the Spirit and should continue by the Spirit. This denies works and denies water baptism.

In Gal 3:5 he specifically mentions the HEARING of faith. This pointedly omits obedience to anything - especially water baptism.

Gal 3:11 justified by faith.

Gal 3:14 we receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Gal 3:22 all is condemned to sin that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. Where is water baptism?

Gal 3:24 justified by faith.

Over and over it is by faith alone without reference to water baptism and a specific denial of obedience.

I must reject any move that converts national Israel's message to any/every Gentile. I must affirm that Paul's message was the same message as given by Peter: justification by faith without obedience and no mention of water baptism.

The sheer weight of this message must be noted.

I also ask that you would eventually respond to Isaiah 64:6 and its ramifications. I have stated several times that this is my biggest theological plank.

Shalom
    LLoyd

14. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Briguy,

bmerr here. This excerpt is from the "Baptism - Why?" thread, I think, but since this is the "faith only" thread, I thought I'd ask you about it here.

You were responding to my question on John 12:42, and this statement prompted me to ask, What is the difference between "faith only" (belief apart from works of any kind), and the kind of faith that demons have?

It gets back to the dead faith vs. prefected faith thing.

In Christ,

bmerr

15. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. Your rebuttal still leaves Peter and the eleven preaching one gospel to the Jews and another to the Gentiles, though, doesn't it?

There is but one gospel for every creature in all nations in all the world.

I'd say that it's possible that Peter was still hoping for a literal, earthly kingdom of which Jesus would be King. I'm sure that with everything going on, there were lots of wrong expectations in the minds of many. In that respect, Peters' asking about the kingdom in Acts 1 isn't all that surprising.

But Christ's kingdom turned out to be one that Peter had the keys to (Matt 16:19), and it came on Pentecost as recorded in Acts 2.

I'd say that the "times of refreshing" in Acts 3:19 is parallel with the "gift of the Holy Ghost" in Acts 2:38. Both are in the context of an invitation following the presentation of the gospel.

Acts 2:38 - Repent (1), and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins (2), and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.(3)

Acts 3:19 - Repent ye therefore (1), and be converted, that your sins be blotted out (2), when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. (3)

I'm having a hard time understanding how you linked Acts 3:19 with Acts 1:6, and missed the correlation it has with Acts 2:38.

My thinking concerning proselytes is that they were just Gentiles who had changed their religion. They were still Gentiles. "Second-class Jews", I think was how you termed them.

And there is still the fact that the promise was not just to the Jews present who had been active participants in the Lord's crucifixion (which you identified as the "untoward generation"), but also to their children, and to all that were afar off, which is, if I'm not mistaken, a Gentile reference.

Jesus will return to execute vengeance on His enemies when He comes again (2 Thes 1:7-10). This vengeance will affect more than just the Jews who had demanded the death of Christ. My sins are just as much responsible as theirs for the shedding of Jesus' blood, and I wasn't even there.

The Jews present in Acts 2 had no more need of the gospel than you or I. The instruction they received is the same instruction given to Paul, which he gave to the Gentiles.

If your look at Galatians had included the context of the book, you'd have found baptism as it relates to faith in the 3rd chapter.

Gal 2:16 speaks of the works of the law. This is significant due to the error into which Peter had fallen concerning his eating or not eating with the Gentiles, depending on who they had for company at dinner. It is not an exclusion of baptism.

When you see the word "faith", be careful not to understand it to mean "faith only". "Only" isn't there for a reason. These verses don't mention anything about repentance or confession, either, but nobody tries to get rid of them.

In Christ,

bmerr

16. ascund

ascund New Member

greetings

Not at all. Peter preached baptism for the remission of national sins. It is not the gospel message per se. Now people can get saved with even a secondary message when they realize their huge error in killing their own Messiah. But His message was for national repentance. This is not the gospel.

So - Yes! There is but one Gospel. It is the gospel illustrated through the murmuring Israelites and the brazen serpant. Look and live. He who believes shall be saved. No water associated with the serpant. No water associated with believe either.

Just one gospel. Peter preached the gospel - but not in Acts 1, 2, or 3.

Lloyd

17. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. About Is 64:6. Didn't mean to skip it, I just forgot. No slight intended.

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind have taken us away."

I think the key to this verse is in recognizing that it is our righteousnesses that are as filthy rags. Like in Tit 3:5, "...not by works of righteousness that we have done..."

The things referred to, IMO, are the "good works" that men do to try and make themselves acceptable to God. They try to come up with their own plans and ideas as to what will "even the scales", or even tip them in their favor, so that God will overlook their sins. All such efforts are fruitless, and of no avail, except for temporarily soothing the conscience of the ignorant.

If we back up one verse to Is 64:5, we find that "[God] meeteth him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways: behold, thou art wroth; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we shall be saved."

It brings to mind Acts 10:35, where Peter says, "But in every nation, he that feareth [God], and worketh righteousness, is accepted of him."

I understand this to mean that God will meet with those who remember Him in His ways.
    Isaiah seems to say, "You're angry with us for we have sinned, but in thy ways is continuance, and we shall be saved if we return to them. But all of our ways of trying to please you are like filthy rags, and we're fading away like a leaf, because our sins have removed us from You."

I really don't like paraphrases, as a rule, since they often change the meaning of the text. I hope I have not done the same thing in my attempt at it. Anyway, that's my understanding of Is 64:6 at this time. I'm open for correction, if needed, though.

In conclusion, while our righteousness may indeed be as filthy rags, there is a righteousness that man must work to be accepted by God, that is, His righteousness, which is defined as all of His commandments (Ps 119:162).

How'd I do?

In Christ,

bmerr

18. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Lloyd,

bmerr here. Would you say that Peter was disobedient to the great commission? He was commanded to preach the gospel, not national repentance to Israel, wasn't he?

Again, I think the brasen serpent illustration was more a reference to the type of death Christ would suffer than a "look and live" message.

Although, it was the Israelites obedience to the command to look and live that provided their healing, not merely their belief that it had been commanded.

In Christ,

bmerr

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Would you say that Paul was disobedient to the Great Commission??

20. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

You stick to your process salvation theology pretty good! Nice well written post with that assumption.

I especially liked your comment:
    So many of your view hope that their good works will somehow outweight their bad and they will "squeeze" into heaven. Congrats! This is a big step away from the darkness.

But you yet haven't got it completely straight for you now turn to Acts 10:35 and contradict yourself ...

Here, you show that you are still a works-in-process theologian.

Why is it that I can articulate your view - but you can't mine?

YOU HOLD that one receives initial justification by faith. The believer receives the indwelling Spirit and infused grace to conform unto the image of Jesus Christ. When the believer achieves a certain (undefined) level of perfection, God will reward that soul with final justification. Salvation depends on both justification and a process of sanctification.

I HOLD that one is justified by faith (as do you). However, justification is total and complete at that moment. The believer is immersed into Christ, sealed by God's Spirit, translated into the heavenlies, indwelt by God's Spirit, and equipped with all spiritual gifts. There is nothing more to be done with respect to justification. Justification opens the door to sanctification. Sanctification is a process of conforming the beleiver into the image of Jesus Christ. The believer receives rewards for this process. Sanctification depends on justification.

So when you say
    you see this as the process of sanctification that leads to final justification.

Since I hold that justification is complete at the moment of faith, I see your blending of justification and sanctification as a gross error. Works are part of sanctification (as you even should admit). For me sanctification leads only to rewards because justification is primal. For you, since sanctification is primal, works leads to final justification.

I don't expect you at this point to believe my system. But it would be nice if you could articulate it as I do yours.

There is no work that a man can do to be acceptable with God. Galatians is full of passages that declare justification APART FROM WORKS. Gal 2:16; 3:2-5, 11, 5:4

Do you remember my 100% survey of the word justify? Should I pull that out again?? No where is justification linked with works. It is always and solely linked to faith in Christ.

With all those words, can you not now see Acts 10:35?
    He that feareth [God] is already justified. The "worketh righteousness" is sanctification. You blend them together. I hold them distinct.

Your blending puts human works on par with Christ's Cross. My distinction only depends on Christ. That quite a difference!

Shalom
    Lloyd