1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the purpose of unity if it's not going to happen?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by micahaaron, Sep 5, 2003.

1. micahaaron

micahaaron New Member

Dear Christian,
    I am finding that whatever forum I go on, this one, Desiring God forum and Study Light forum, that there is more divisions and people displaying a contentious spirit than there is an effort to preserve love and unity. Ephesians 4 says speak the truth in love, my question is where is the truth and where is the love? I see posters posting and boasting in ignorance rather displaying they know the truth in love and are willing to work with the weak and unlearned.
    Your behaviors and attitudes are embarrasing to say the least!

Divisions:
    1Cr 1:10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.
    1Cr 1:11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's {people,} that there are quarrels among you.
    1Cr 1:12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."
    1Cr 1:13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
    Contentious:
    Pro 26:21 {Like} charcoal to hot embers and wood to fire, So is a contentious man to kindle strife.
    Rom 2:8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
    1Cr 11:16 But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God.
    Other:
    Gal 5:15 But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.
    Gal 5:26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.

MA

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

The biggest problem that hinders unity in the church?:
    I think a major cause (in the U.S. at least) has been the virtually unchecked growth of the various personality cults that have arisen among conservative Christians. Pride and ego play a big part. To some ministries, it seems to have come down to either being a "big fish in a small pond" or being a "small fish in a big pond". They'd rather have their own rabidly loyal power-base than be a smaller cog in the larger good. IMHO

3. qwerty

qwerty New Member

Unity is that mirage that we seek in the desert.
    One of my favorite sayings is "Unity is diversity". Unity looks like a body. Most people want unity where everybody looks and acts the same. They want everybody to be a hand or a foot or an eye. But that is not unity. It is a deformity, or abnormality.

Ephesians 4 has a lot to say about unity, but most today in the USA would disagree with Paul in what he says. Unity and maturity comes when we do it the way Jesus wants. You won't have unity without apostles and prophets. And most today in the USA will not tolerate apostles and prophets.

So, in reality, hardly anybody really wants unity, the unity that Jesus wants. When we do it the way Jesus wants, then we will get the results Jesus wants. One of the results is unity.

A key understanding:
    Unity is the goal of God, Who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
    The goal of followers of Jesus is to be obedient to Him.
    If we make our goal unity, then we will have neither unity nor obedience.

EPH 4:9 (What does "he ascended" mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions? 10 He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.) 11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12 to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

EPH 4:14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unity is commanded; unanimity is what we expect and are disappointed when we do not see it.

I can have "unity" with people who do not have exactly the same doctrinal interpretation of issues. There IS a unity of the "faith" - based on that faith.

(And when we think of unity our focus is within a church. How can we have ANY unity within some mystical invisible body we can't see or identify? Another bit of support for local NT churches.)

5. micahaaron

micahaaron New Member

Brothers in the Lord,

I am addressing you, those who are on this forum, I am new on this forum, so far I am not happy reading different posts in different topics (at least over 100 posts read in 8-10 topics) that our attitude towards other brethren and sisters is poor, not done in love and grace, towards those others who differes from your opinion on different topics of spiritual interests.

I understand as a whole, that the Christian body doesn't know what unity is, but you baptist brothers are sure not looking like you know either. Your conduct and your manner of speech is just as, equal to, your convictions of beliefs about certain baptist doctrines you hold to and speak about. Your called to be witnesses of God's grace and have the Holy Spirit that dwells within you and yet, you treat each other as a bunch of heathens.

I ask you, search the various posts in various topics, see the attitudes displayed like, contention, strife, arrogance, divisiveness and so forth.

Look at John Piper, a man of God and and a Baptist brother, who is a true gentle-man who treats his opponenent with dignity, respect and love. Imitate him as a modern day example!

MA

6. qwerty

qwerty New Member

MA,
    There is a place for heated debate. A forum like this, being anonymous, makes it much easier for more heat than light.

PR 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
    so one man sharpens another.

The above scripture shows us that sometimes the sparks will fly.

I have heard Piper preach, but never debate, so I will not be able to emulate him.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ever notice those who preach unity, unity, unity are so often the troublemakers. They are those who want conformity. It is doubtful that they really know what unity is.

8. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I have believing friends, we meet together because of a unified belief that Jesus is our savior. We believe that Jesus' body was broken and his blood was shed to purchase us and make us righteous. If we were more unified, we might be more effective in this world, but that is something we can work on. Nevertheless, it is a glorious and miraculous thing that we meet with each other like brothers when being religious is not cool. Without our common foundational belief, we would have nothing to do with each other and nothing firm to build on. It's a good start.

I think perfect unity is coming, it's on its way. Like Paul mentions: It is not known what we shall be like...

1Jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we children of God, and it is not yet made manifest what we shall be. We know that, if he shall be manifested, we shall be like him; for we shall see him even as he is.

Dave

9. micahaaron

micahaaron New Member

David MArk,
    Thank you for that testimony. Two of my former pastors at two different churches with another local pastor at a different church in the community particpates in accountability group. A spirit-filled baptist, pentecostal and a evangelical free pastor. They've been meeting over ten years.
    This is unity in action.

Qwerty,
    True, we need to sharpen each other, but not at the cost of injuring our brother or sister with words we use and the tone of our voices. Shouldn't Baptists be known for their love they have towrds another rather than being mean-spirited. I read a bumper sticker off a car the other day and it said, Christians are mean people! Should people of this forum live up to that or fulfill the scripture in which Jesus said, The peoples should know your are Jesus disciples by your what, your love that you have one to another.
    That is all I saying here!
    MA

10. rufus

rufus New Member

I Corinthians 12-14 speaks of unity in diversity. One body but diverse members and gifts.

Uniformity is what many are after. That does bring deformity.

You can tie together the tails of a dog and cat and throw them over a clothes line and have union BUT NOT UNITY!!

Rufus [​IMG]

11. David Mark

David Mark New Member

....and these three remain, faith, hope and love and the greatest of these is love.

Still to me, hope is in that important list, and I do hope for unity. [​IMG]

Dave.

12. micahaaron

micahaaron New Member

Is that what they do over there in Arkansas, tie cat and dog tails together and flop'em over the clothes line? Must be Arkansas entertainment.

MA

13. DCK

DCK New Member

I think the point being made (if I may speculate) is that as Christians we can disagree but should do so with compassion, fairness, patience, and humility. Sometimes we do this; on other occasions we don't. There are times when we come perilously close to the sarcasm and cynicism of secular forums (fora?), minus the profanity. I agree that the main goal here should be to learn and inform, not simply to win arguments. I've learned from bitter experience how easy it is to become more interested in asserting one's ego than in helping others to understand.

14. Gunther

Gunther New Member

In Eph. 4, Paul gives us 7 reasons why unity exists among Christians. We don't have to make it happen. We just have to preserve it.

15. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Great reply!

16. rufus

rufus New Member

Is that what they do over there in Arkansas, tie cat and dog tails together and flop'em over the clothes line? Must be Arkansas entertainment.

MA
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yep! Barefooted Arky Hillybillies, we are. Our "entertainment captures the 'world!'"

Rufus [​IMG]