1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's the role of a woman according to the bible?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 18, 2006.

1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

We can preach...
    The Great Commission (Matt. 28:19 ; Mark 16:15) It says to teach and preach (there is no restrictions) if you love Jesus you will go to a lost world and tell others or support those who witness.
    In a "church" (building designated as a church) with a pastor... it is best to have a man to pastor as the bible instructs. :flower:

I don't know how many times this has been misunderstood, but women can preach if they choose so and are living as the bible instructs them as far as their submission to their husband, tending to their children, keeping their homes, and them theirselves act appropriately and respectivly as the guide lines in the bible intail (if not this could hurt thier witness), but this should apply to the men also. This is found in 1Tim. 3:3-13.
    Its easy to get around fellow believers and seem like you got the Christian lifestyle going on but you got to live it in the privacy of your home, in the shopping centers (even when your tired and on your last nerve with the kiddo's).

Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Sometimes no, I dont think its just sufficient that God just said "No". Because we are supposed to be His FRIENDS and He ours. Not mere SERVANTS like a Master/Slave relationship.

Because I believe in the Scriptures are given reasons for most things. God does not arbitrarily just command us to do things, He asks us to do things for our own good because to do otherwise is harmful to us.

And so I believe in the Scriptures somewhere God would tell us WHY He wouldnt want women to be Preachers, if that were the truth.

If we understand the principles behind things we will WANT to do them. Such as if your parents just told you to not do something but never told you why.... that wouldnt inspire us to love them, it would be more like a Dictatorship.

Jn:15:14: Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Look at this, God wants us to be His FRIEND... meaning we will know WHY He does things:

Jn:15:15: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Claudia

#22 Claudia_T, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2006
  3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

"Exceeding God's limits?"

So you're saying that God loves everyone, blesses and uses everyone, but God blesses and uses men more than women???

Fascinating. Truly fascinating.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

To be quite honest, I am not at all certain that God did say "no."

Taken in the context of the society in which they were written, I would argue that the New Testament is a scandalously feminist text. Women were the first to find the empty tomb, women were active in providing meeting-places (and, by extension, leadership) in the early church, and there is evidence that one of the people mentioned in the Bible as an Apostle/Bishop was, in fact, female.

Not to mention the key roles women played as prophetesses, etc.

It's easier for men to insist that they are God-ordained to be dominant in the church and in society. That way, they don't have to think, they can just say "Goddidit."

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

HI Tragic,

Well I wasnt meaning that I know if God says yes or no on the subject... I just wanted to know why people think God says yes or no, whichever way they believe. (hope that makes sense)

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Women certainly played important roles then as they do now. Contrary to today however, the women of old understood their roles.

To whom are you referring here?

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You sound a lot like folks in my city in the 1960's, thinking that the "coloreds" should "know their place."

I need to do some research; I'll get back to you.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It does, and I understood your post that way. Thanks.

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

'Junia' Rom. 16:7. issue of whether this is a woman or man is basically moot.

The passage states 'my kinsmen, my fellowprisoners, of note among the apostles.'

Does this mean they WERE apostles, or does it, rather mean they were respected BY the apostles?

In either case, being ordained an apostle, which is one sent out, a missionary, as the 12 apostles were, is not the same thing as being ordained as a shepherd of a flock.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe Scripture is crystal clear on the subject if women should be pastors.

1Ti 3:2 An overseer, therefore, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, self-controlled, sensible, respectable, hospitable, an able teacher,

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Hi webdog,

I do have my own opinion on the subject but am just trying to get people to open up and tell why they think that God would have it be whatever way they think that it is.

13. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

You sound like a lot of the folks in my country who like to race-bait, when race isn't even the topic.

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, then, what of Phoebe in 16:1? Or, for that matter, Priscilla, Aquilla's wife?

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have found it difficult to get an objective view of the scriptures on this subject. Many women who are career driven will say that the scriptures do not forbid a woman to be a pastor or deacon or CEO or whatever. Women who want to be homemakers may have a very different view. Single women seem to have more problems with the submissive issue than married women (in my observations). Has anyone else noticed this? Or maybe it's just me. :D

16. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Race isn't the topic, no. Bigotry is.

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

God is the head of Christ who is the head of man who is the head of woman.

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." - 1 Corinthians 11:3

Woman is to be a helpmate to man not to have dominion over the man.

"And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him." - Genesis 2:18

This does not make woman a lesser character in God's family. Her role is rather a vital one. A woman's role is to ensure the man's success and ensure that children are raised in a disciplined nurturing environment. When woman abdicates her responsibility to care for the child in favor of their career, then children are raised by, television, gov't schools and by strangers via daycare. The result is rebellious children who engage in fornication, violence, drug abuse and other like problems which we see in our world today.

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Hi Rufus,

I couldnt agree with you more on all that you just said, I think today man children are not being raised by their mothers at home and turn out badly because of it.

But do you think woman dont have the qualifications necessary to be a Preacher? If not, why not?

What if she is single and doesnt have any children?

Claudia

19. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

For her to preach the word, she certainly has the qualifications and should do so. For her to be a preacher, as in a leader of the flock, my personal beliefs may be that she would have the natural capabilities. However, the one who establishes the qualification criteria says she must be a man, therefore she is not qualified.

She should be serving her parents until she leaves the home. If she has already left the home, she should be preparing and angling for marriage.

20. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Ms. Pizza,

I am not sure what definition you are using the expression "bigotry". While I may be obstinate, I believe I am reasonably wedded to my particular religious creed. What would you describe as being unreasonable and is my unreasonableness contrary to the word of God or is God a bigot as well? Regardless, none of what we are discussing has anything whatsoever to do with race and if you admit that race isn't the topic then why did you bring it up?

BIG''OT, n.

1. A person who is obstinately and unreasonably wedded to a particular religious creed, opinion, practice or ritual. The word is sometimes used in an enlarged sense, for a person who is illiberally attached to any opinion, or system of belief; as a bigot to the Mohammedan religion; a bigot to a form of government.
    (Source: 1828 Webster's)​