1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whats up with the TV preacher feuds?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dr.Tim, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

I dont hear the radio, so I dont bother trying to listen.. but peeps are telling me that there are some folks calling for Charles Stanley to resign as a result of his marital issues. Someone said Colson has made a statement calling on Stanley to resign. Colson was under attack for signing the ECT documents and evangelicals and catholics together. When PTL scandal hit, somehow Falwell got into there and I never understood that.
    Then MacAthur supposedly had some things to say about Rick Warren's church. MacArthur himself was attacked by BJU and others for his statements about the blood. Billy Graham has been said to have questioned whether there was an actual place of eternal torment (hell). Benny Hinn was exposed for sleeping in hotels at $3400 a night. Tilton.. haha.... doesnt like to read the letters but likes to deposit the money from his followers.

Tell me... of all the TV and radio preachers, and also famous preachers of the day..which one has the most integrity.. the most honest, the least money-hungry, etc?????????????????

I gonna say I like Stanley. I guess I dont know enough about his situation to say whether or not he should resign..dont even know the status of his marriage... but I like Charles Stanley.

I think Billy Graham is an honest man although he has made some changes in his beliefs.

What about Adrian Rogers.. Ed Young... Joel O'steen, etc... ??? TD Jakes, Rod Parsley (sp?)
    just curious because most of them do not caption their services on TV.

tim

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stanley's divorce was so bitter, his SON sided against dad. That tells me a lot.

But you asked, "which one has the most integrity.. the most honest, the least money-hungry, etc"

I think those are oxymoronic of big name TV/Radio ministries. They are ALL competing for audience, $$, market shares, sales, etc

I have not met any (or heard of any) that I would say is "above reproach".

Hey, you asked!!

3. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Dr. Bob... surely...surely!!!!!!! there is someone on TV you like, huh?

James Kennedy is alright, I am told.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Adrian Rogers and David Jeremiah---top notch!!!

Joel Olsteen is a joke!!!

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Tony Evans.

[​IMG]
    Dr. Anthony T. Evans is senior pastor of the 7,000-member Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship in Dallas, Texas, and president of The Urban Alternative, a national organization that seeks to bring about spiritual renewal in urban America through the church. He was the first black American to graduate with a doctoral degree from Dallas Theological Seminary. The author of twenty books, Evans lives with his wife, Lois, in Dallas, Texas. They have four children and two granddaughters.

6. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Diane, you sometimes preach with Joyce Meyer, correct? Do you, or would you possibly be offering a discount to Baptist Board members for those healing handkerchiefs that you peddle on tv?
    Or how about that cute little "anointing set"?

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Tim, I suggest you make use of the "Instant Graemlins" on the "Quick Reply" window or go to the "Full Reply Form" to see and use the full set of "Instant Graemlins". I think your reply to Sister Diane could use a few [​IMG] :D ;) [​IMG] [​IMG] 's

[​IMG] you, brother [​IMG]

8. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now is that a negative rasberry or just a touch of humor.

10. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

no idea.. man.. i am not a smilie expert.. diane is just fun to pick on [​IMG]
    there..thats better

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

12. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

One of my dislikes is tv evangelists, I have a problem with somethings like going over the top.

Guess I am a reserved Christian in many respects.

David

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I would agree [​IMG]

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Parsley is a Sensationalist, and I lost all respect for him when he began to peddle "prayer cloths". Nothing wrong with peddling media of one's own sermons, or books, but when it comes to peddling hocus-pocus...

Seems to me that Adrian Rogers(who's retiring soon), Kennedy, and Stanley, despite his private-life woes, are "right on". Of course, both radio & TV are full of those self-appointed "bishops" and Sensationalists, and I highly recommend that when listening to any of'em, you keep your BIBLE in front of you. Sure, some of'em freely quote Scripture, but one should read the verses surrounding the ones quoted to make sure they aren't being twisted to fit the speaker's agenda.

15. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I remember when I was a young Christian and there was the thing with Jimmy Swaggart.

The church I first got involved with was charismatic a bit and I went charging into church got involved with everything but after a while I began to get doubts about what was happening around me etc etc and began to look at people differently.

Now I am quite reserved but all for people being full of the One True Holy Spirit.

I guess some things upset my faith and make me feel awkward.

David

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

That is true. But it is very sad.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I would agree [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]A joke without a punch line.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doesn't anyone know that it's the money those characters like. If they were interested in evangelism they would go through the major networks. Most of those characters (shamans) are supported by Christians.

19. Copper

Copper Guest

PMJI ...

While I am a newbie, I have done some reading on these TV Evangelists. And I would strongly urge others to do the same. The bulk of the successful TV evangelists are from the group called "Word of Faith." There is a book entitled, "Christianity in Crisis" by Hank Hanegraaff, that describes people such as Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, Kenneth Hagin and Frederick Price, in all their ugly, greedy and sinful ways. If you want to read the first page of the book, go to: http://www.bible-reading.com/crisis.html Its an eye-opener and I encourage you to read it. There is a subculture of quasi-Christians out there, that you are probably unaware of. I know I was.

However, there are other preachers, who teeter on being mainline, such as Hagee, Van Impe, Billy Graham, and the like, that I do still listen to on occasion. I've heard the dirt on Van Impe and Billy Graham and that does trouble me. Not sure what to do about it and not sure I really care. I'm more concerned about people like the Copeland group that are sending people to h e l l with their twisted theology.

Just my two cents,
    Copper

20. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

The sad thing is that the others like Billy Graham and Jack and Rexella Van Impe...and possibly even Rick Warren are encouraging folk to yoke up with ROME and the Pope.I only include Warren due to his apparently weak theology that has found acceptance within the catholic church through the use of his Purpose Driven Life "principles" and materials.All of the above are sad indicators of the apostasy of our day as the world at large moves towards an acceptance of the coming one-world church of the anti-christ.We who know and embrace the "fundamentals" of the "faith once delivered unto the saints"must avoid yoking up with this kind of deception and take a clear seperated stand against it.Many are being swept up into it.Satans deception comes in at least two clear forms.That which blinds the minds of them that believe NOT....and that which creeps in unawares among them which DO believe and misleads them with that which seems good.Let us be diligent brothers and sisters....and watchful.

Greg Sr.