1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's with all these Baptist-bashing threads here?!

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by MikeS, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Since the state and the Roman Church were united, it is a false assertion that the Roman Church was not responsible for the murders that took place.

Here is an account of what happened to the French Huguenots at the hands of the RCC, in the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre: http://www.reformation.org/bart.html

Here is an account of European Anabaptist martyrdom, in the Martyrs Mirror: http://www.homecomers.org/mirror/

To be fair, the Anabaptists were also persecuted and murdered by the Magisterial Protestant churches.

2. MikeS

MikeS New Member

First of all, the pope has not declared himself infallible. It is the Church that declares the pope, any pope, infallible in certain circumstances.

Second of all, if a few honorific titles are enough to make one an "earthly lord" then the planet is crawling with them, and most of them aren't royalty. Just look in any diplomatic protocol guide.

Finally, since when is "Holy Father" or "His Holiness" the title of a lord?

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

MikeS,

First of all, I'm talking about spiritually applied titles, not political.

"Holy Father" IS the title of a lord--The Lord God Almighty; it should not be used to refer to a man--to do so is blasphemous.

4. MikeS

MikeS New Member

Well, "earthly lord" certainly sounds like, and implies, an earthly (non-spiritual) authority.
    "Holy" can be applied to anybody (or anything) who/that deserves it. "Father" is applied to many (non-related) spiritual leaders in the Bible. "Holy Father" is a perfectly good title for the Vicar of Christ.

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The Pope is not the "Vicar of Christ," nor is he holy, and Jesus said to call no man "father" (spiritually).

I'm also opposed to calling anyone "Reverend," "Right Reverend," "Very Reverend," Most Reverend," and other artificial, pompous titles.

God alone is holy, our Father, and to be revered--not man.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

To continue with the list of Dissenters murdered by the RCC (which RC's claim never happened):

The Albigenses
    The Waldenses
    The Hussites

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

What, no refutations or denials??

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

I believe I am right when I say that the pope is only infallible as it is related to His teaching ministry to the church.

Someone said, 'First of all, the pope has not declared himself infallible. It is the Church that
    declares the pope, any pope, infallible in certain circumstances.'

I am saying that if the Magisterium or all the bishops offered the pope this word, 'infallible' he apparently never pushed aside this discription of himself.

Was it Peter who after healing someone that person wanted to bow down in adoration of this miracle performed by him. Peter refused the honor giving all the honor and glory to Jesus. Your Vicars of Christ simply take it all in stride; boy does that throw up a red flag to non-Catholics!

9. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Not sure how that relates to infallibility.

Are you suggesting that Peter taught error?

Are you suggesting that by saying that the Holy Spirit guides the Pope, so as to prevent the Pope from teaching error (under certain circumstances), that is taking glory and honor from Jesus?

10. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

You said, 'Not sure how that relates to infallibility.'

I am saying, 'It doesn't relate directly. Peter never took credit for any miracles, but we feel that the Pope is elevated extremely high, officially when your alleged first pope did not elevate his station or office as an apostle of Jesus Christ. 'Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ . . . ' [I Peter 1:1] & in his second epistle says, 'Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ . . . ' [II Peter 1:1] He never in his epistles calls himself the Vicar of Christ or asks Christians to call him, 'Your Holiness.'

You said, 'Are you suggesting that Peter taught error?'

Ray is saying, 'Peter only taught the truth.'

You said, 'Are you suggesting that by saying that the Holy Spirit guides the Pope . . . '

I am saying, that in some cases the pope is guided by the Spirit of God, but often the Magisterium has ingested error into Catholicism.

Examples: The Perpetual Virginity of Mary, the Assumption, Purgatory, the one final Judgment Day theory and so on.

You said, ' . . . so as to prevent the Pope from teaching error (under certain circumstances)

I am saying, 'While Romanism teaches some basic orthodoxy, it has a proclivity of taking into its system 'add-on theology' as noted above.

You said, ' . . . that is taking glory and honor from Jesus?'

When any pope claims to be the Vicar of Christ on the earth, he is stepping well over his right to claim this title. We have the Bible; it is our, if you will, the 'paper pope.' While the Bible are the inspired writings from the heart of God, your professed Vicar is only another bishop among other bishops in the Catholic church as well as other Protestant Christian pastors.

The Living Word-Jesus has given to the church His written word in matters of faith and practice. No papal or Magisterial traditions allowed. [Colossians 2:8]

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe God has His elect, His chosen, among all nations, tongues, kindred, and creed. Who they are, I know not, neither can anyone know, for God is the owner of the Book on which their names are written down.

There may very well be brethren, those who are elect and covered by the blood of the Lamb, among Catholics, or among Moslems, in fact, even among Mormons and atheistic societies, for their eternal salvation rests on the finished work of Christ on the cross and not on their stated or practiced creed, and in Heaven every one brought there by God will live under Him and know one another.

There will be no need for Confessions, no need for Apostles' Creeds, no need for bodies of faith that we have here on earth, for we shall all be taught of God, like the two who walked down the road to Emmaus, to whom Jesus expounded the Scriptures.

However, here on earth, doctrines are necessary to separate truth from error. And so it is on the basis of these doctrines that we call each other brother, or sister. Jesus asked his disciples, "who do men say that I am ?". And after hearing their answers, he asked again, "but whom do ye say that I am".

I cannot and will not call a Roman Catholic a brother or sister in Christ, for, on the basis of the doctrines and teachings that they follow, preach and propagate, I have no way of even suspecting that they are indeed brethren, and that is the same rule I apply to other creeds.

Perhaps, in heaven, away from the presence of the enemy, who will long be in the lake of fire with the wicked, I shall see some whom I have known on earth to be members of other creeds, but until then, I will call brother and sister only those of like precious faith.