1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What's wrong and right with IFBs and IFBism?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by CorpseNoMore, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Joy

Joy New Member

Finally, somebody bit...!

To justification, I would add imputed righteoussness or God making it -just as if I had never sinned.

Grace- unmerited favor-getting what we
    don't deserve.

Mercy-God's kindness to us when we deserve punishment-not getting what we do deserve!

I still know from experience, that most IFBers don't know these or others like redemption-to buy back, paid in full.

2. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

I still have yet to see that the nice clothing is what makes the great preacher or buisnesman. As for hair color or piercings, still has nothing to do with "looking" like the world. No matter how you look, you will look like the world, the difference in us compared to the world is our accountenance and our treatment of others.

Sue

3. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Well then, Sue, shall all us ladies gather together to go out to dinner, and let's all dress as the harlots and prostitutes? I mean, come on, if it doesn't matter what we dress like, then what can it hurt?

We are ambassadors for Christ! Our whole life should reflect that! Not just in our speech, or our love for others, but in everything we should show forth the testimony of a changed life. When somebody looks at me, they should not be confused at who, or what, I am! They should be able to look at me and say, "hmmm . . . there's something different about that gal!"

So, if it doesn't matter what we look like, would you go out of your home dressed like a harlot? And if not, why?

4. Kathy

Kathy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeeperOfMyHome:
    Well then, Sue, shall all us ladies gather together to go out to dinner, and let's all dress as the harlots and prostitutes? I mean, come on, if it doesn't matter what we dress like, then what can it hurt?

We are ambassadors for Christ! Our whole life should reflect that! Not just in our speech, or our love for others, but in everything we should show forth the testimony of a changed life. When somebody looks at me, they should not be confused at who, or what, I am! They should be able to look at me and say, "hmmm . . . there's something different about that gal!"

So, if it doesn't matter what we look like, would you go out of your home dressed like a harlot? And if not, why?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where have you been KOMH!!! I've been waiting for you! LoL FINALLY! I love ya! Oh and BTW...ditto what she said *hehe*

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

5. Joy

Joy New Member

Modesty is definitely an issue in the Bible. There are however other issues that should also separate us from the world. While not dressing like a harlot is proper according to the Bible, dressing modestly and proper is not what makes us born again, or spiritual or anything other than modest. Good Biblical standards are not wrong, they just aren't proof enough of who we are or how spiritual we are.

Don't forget that the Amish dress modestly, so do some Pentecostals and Mormons and other cults. Christians and non Christians alike have followed the same certain styles of dressing for centuries.

When we discussed some of these issues on the old BB, I mentioned that most of the time, I do wear dresses, especially out in public. Here's just a little scenario to make you think. If I went to the local Mall in a nice dress that covered my knees and was not low cut, and met up with say, Hillary Clinton, and she was dressed in the very same outfit- how would you know that I was the one that was the Christian?

When we use standards as an end all, we miss the point and begin to judge others according to our own standards. It becomes a contest to see who can be the most "separated," and we begin to judge each other's level of spirituality and even confession of faith by which standards we hold to.

The test of your spirituality is what your personal relationship with Christ is. Your own personal relationship with Christ is what leads you to lead a separated unto God.

If you judge ones spirituality only by how they dress, we might think Princess Di was a wonderful Christian lady! :eek:

Too many IFB's, myself included, use standards, even though they are good, to judge spirituality, when they should be more concered about their own personal relationship with Christ. Standards should come out of what your personal relationship with Christ is, not the other way around.

6. myreflection26

Joy,

Actually you just said what I was trying to say in the previous post but obviously a bit better than I did.

KOMH, I never once denied modest dress being important or biblical. Modesty is definately an issue in the bible but my thought was exactly what Joy just said in her above post.

Sue

7. Kathy

Kathy New Member

For me personally, the way I dress is a PRODUCT of the relationship I am building with my savior!

I don't think it makes me any better than the next person...not by any means! But it is only ONE piece of the puzzle that makes me.

I hope that in my speech I have not offended anyone...if I have, I humbly apologize from the bottom of my heart!

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

8. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kathy:
    For me personally, the way I dress is a PRODUCT of the relationship I am building with my savior!
    Kathy&lt;&gt;&lt;
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen Kathy! That is exactly what I was thinking, but you beat me to it! LOL . . .

God, through the Holy Spirit, is at work in our lives once we get the inside cleaned up. After that point, as we mature, outward changes start taking place.

9. Joy

Joy New Member

No offense here~ I haven't seen anything in your posts to indicate that you have "The cart before the horse," I was just trying to put into words one of the weaknesses that some IFB churches have. Obviosly, IFB's are not all alike. I come from a very harsh IFB background similar to the Hyles crowd, where man-made standards = righteousness, and even salvation. With the exception of no pants period, (I wear them for dirty work- I live in farm country) I still adhere to many of the standards I was brought up with. I am just now learning not to judge other's state of spirituality, or my own for that matter, by these standards. We become more Christ-like through meditation, prayer, and Bible study, and application follows.

10. myreflection26

Speaking from the heart, let me explain something in how I view dress and looks. This is not to start debates or anything but just to give you a glimpse into my life.

Modesty of course is an issue in my life and I would like to keep it that way. As far as looks being wild or christian like this is my thing....I'm very into fashion and different looks and I venture into new things all the time because I like a new fresh look and sometimes it just turns out to be trendy. My personality is very colorful and drama queen like so I'm not afraid to color my hair in streaks of red or blonde or yellow or even other colors or try something new like a whole new hair style or new clothing look be it grung or preppy or independant woman look...I believe God made me to express my corky personality no matter how colorful it may be as long as its modest I don't have a problem with it. Ok...my husband and I have been talking about this and when I was heavy I would never have given it a second thought but now I'm considering having my belly button pierced, after all my husband would like to see me do this because he finds it attractive and its something new that I would like to try.

Please know that I do understand no matter how much I change my looks on the outside to "feel better" that the inside is where I need to be secure with God in my identity and I pray every day that God would never let me loose focus of what is really important in my life and that my looks won't ever become more important to me than what God is doing in me.

Sue

11. Joy

Joy New Member

I think this has strayed slightly from the original subject, although it is related.

I will open up a new thread under Baptist Women to discuss issues of modesty according to the Word of God. Joy ;)